Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scamera Vans, Is this allowed ?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2005, 12:00 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scamera Vans, Is this allowed ?

On my way to work this morning I passed a scamera van ilegally parked so I thought I'd get some piccies of it. This seems wrong to me but is it legal, are they allowed to park like this and still prosecute you ?

This was parked nearly infront of a school but by the time the offender has seen the van and been caught he's allready run over 20 school kids because he was speeding and the van is in THE WRONG PLACE !
Old 09 August 2005, 12:03 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

There was some fuss a while back with revenue vans parking dangerously, and I think after some complaints they were forced to park elsewhere.

Im surprised to see this is actually near a school which is unusual, and I can only assume its only parked there in school holidays as I doubt many people speed past there when the school is open, so the van probably has more profitable hiding places.
Old 09 August 2005, 12:33 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

They can park where they like and their evidence is still valid.

Most laws contain a clause that means that the law doesn't apply to a member of the law enforcement community going about their business. So you will find that, in effect, there is nowhere that is illegal for them to park their van. Of course most laws regarding parking are in place for safety reasons and so this often results in the vans being parked in dangerous positions. However, this works to their advantage as the more deaths there are on our roads the more they can call for increased speed enforcement and raise the cash to employ hundreds more staff in their "safety partnership." They are literally taking your money to finance killing more motorists.

The other guidelines on visability and so on are only guidelines and so are frequently ignored, they are not worth the paper they are written on.
Old 09 August 2005, 06:38 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

park something bigger behind it !!!! *ucking anker's
Old 09 August 2005, 06:55 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ73
park something bigger behind it !!!! *ucking anker's
What would happen if you did this? Would it be an offence?
Old 09 August 2005, 08:10 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Obstruction me thinks...
Old 09 August 2005, 08:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

In this case I don't give a crap where he's parked, he could be up the tree for all I care, if you're speeding outside a school then tough ****.
Old 09 August 2005, 08:15 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
In this case I don't give a crap where he's parked, he could be up the tree for all I care, if you're speeding outside a school then tough ****.
Yeah, 'cos maybe some kid has gone into school despite the holidays...
Old 09 August 2005, 08:36 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Is that another wonderful piece of traffic planning there? Is that a bus stop?.... it looks like the area he has parked on used to be a bus stop layby that has been filled in so the bus now blocks all the traffic causing more congestion and kids are put in danger by people trying to get past it.

We have several of those helpful modifications near here!
Old 09 August 2005, 09:22 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I don't think he's illegally parked. That looks like hard standing that is laid in a kind of concrete grid effect so that grass can grow through (and it doesn't look too horrid).

I've seen this same stuff laid specifically for scamera vans to sit on (any who turn off the Basingstoke ring road onto the A33 will be able to spot the regular scam site just down the hill from the junction). In this instance they used to regularly sit on the grass collecting taxes. I guess they laid hard standing so they didn't get stuck when the wanted to drive off for donuts

In your example, it's a camera van parked in an obvious location, and it's sat outside a school. For once I have to say I have absolutely no problem with the location.

Joolz
Old 09 August 2005, 09:28 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up and some more...

oh yes - he could perhaps be positioned slightly better, to catch people speeding towards the school, but for that to happen, he'd need to be sat directly outside the school! This would be more hazardous to the kids as they then wouldn't have clear visibility to cross the road!

They are trying here to stop 20 kids getting run over by increasing awareness and stopping drivers from speeding past schools in the first place. Not to catch a single lunatic speeder.

They're putting cameras in one of the few locations that almost everyone (members of this board included) seem to find acceptable, and kudos to them for doing it rather than picking a high-profit site (though obviously this may be a high-profit site as well).

Joolz

PS. As for the person operating a camera phone while sat in the car
Old 09 August 2005, 09:49 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Who was sat in a car ? not me I parked up and got out
Old 09 August 2005, 10:40 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
Who was sat in a car ? not me I parked up and got out
Aha - you fooled me with the perspective shot of the school entrance on that first photo I was just joshing anyhow

Joolz
Old 09 August 2005, 10:48 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by ru'
Yeah, 'cos maybe some kid has gone into school despite the holidays...
lol, some nerdy oik
Old 09 August 2005, 12:31 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

It may surprise those with kids that the lives of those without doesnt revolve in its entirety around school holidays. Apart from a passing interest in the lighter traffic during school holidays and a general desire to avoid holidays at the same time as hordes of feral children i.e. stay firmly inside the house If someone at work says its half term - I have no interest in school holidays.

Perhaps the scamera scheduler is also childless and he saw no reason to remove it from a regular schedule of scam sites.
Old 09 August 2005, 12:50 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbryant
They're putting cameras in one of the few locations that almost everyone (members of this board included) seem to find acceptable, and kudos to them for doing it rather than picking a high-profit site (though obviously this may be a high-profit site as well).
Last year accidents increased at 743 camera sites and there is evidence to show that putting a camera at a junction can distract the motorists for a significant proportion of the time it takes to cross that junction.

With this in mind, and also based upon simple common sense, placing a camera outside a school is one of the most dangerous things the scamers can possibly do and is something that we should fight even harder than the revenue cameras. The last thing most motorists need outside a school is a camera distracting them from the children, parked cars, people pulling out etc.

I suspect you will find that this is actually why the camera is there in the holidays: it is so the partnership can produce stats to show that they positioned their camera outside a school (because as we've seen some people actually still believe that is a sensible thing to do and so the partnership consider it good PR) but also to ensure that the accident rate at this particular school doesn't go through the roof.

If you want to save children then oppose cameras outside schools as they are an accident waiting to happen.
Old 09 August 2005, 01:05 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

The scamera van is placed in the wrong place to stop anyone speeding past the school so in affect it's pointless being there
Old 09 August 2005, 01:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Last year accidents increased at 743 camera sites and there is evidence to show that putting a camera at a junction can distract the motorists for a significant proportion of the time it takes to cross that junction.

Pity idiots that cant drive along a road without crashing when they see a van didnt put themslelves out of action for good.
Old 09 August 2005, 02:22 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Pity idiots that cant drive along a road without crashing when they see a van didnt put themslelves out of action for good.
Pity that those that want to cause distractions based on simplistic theories cant be honest about the consequences of their actions. Particularly as we are all on the side of people's safety and longevity...
Old 09 August 2005, 03:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by RB170
The scamera van is placed in the wrong place to stop anyone speeding past the school so in affect it's pointless being there
The act of catching and punishing drivers who arent capable of driving within the parameters of the law cannot be described as pointless, wherever the camera is...
Generating revenue to help keep law abiding citizens taxes down is just an added bonus...
Old 09 August 2005, 03:56 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
The act of catching and punishing drivers who arent capable of driving within the parameters of the law cannot be described as pointless, wherever the camera is...
Generating revenue to help keep law abiding citizens taxes down is just an added bonus...
LMAO thats a good 1
Old 09 August 2005, 05:43 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
They can park where they like and their evidence is still valid.

Most laws contain a clause that means that the law doesn't apply to a member of the law enforcement community going about their business. So you will find that, in effect, there is nowhere that is illegal for them to park their van. Of course most laws regarding parking are in place for safety reasons and so this often results in the vans being parked in dangerous positions. However, this works to their advantage as the more deaths there are on our roads the more they can call for increased speed enforcement and raise the cash to employ hundreds more staff in their "safety partnership." They are literally taking your money to finance killing more motorists.

The other guidelines on visability and so on are only guidelines and so are frequently ignored, they are not worth the paper they are written on.
For the Police or affiliates, I guess that'd cover it. What about where the enforcement is contracted out though?

J.
Old 09 August 2005, 08:44 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Someone should have phoned the police and told them that there's a "bloke sat in a van outside *school name* taking photographs"

John.
Old 09 August 2005, 10:52 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
For the Police or affiliates, I guess that'd cover it. What about where the enforcement is contracted out though?
The honest answer is that i am not sure but would imagine that those involved in the van scam will be "acting on the authority of the Chief Constable" and that the law will be worded such that someone acting in this manner will be excused.

That is a guess, it may be that they assume this is the situation but that it has never been tested for example, but you may care to write to your Chief Constable asking if you have grounds for an official complaint. I'm not sure that i can see how the van is illegally parked in saying that.
Old 10 August 2005, 02:11 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john_s
Someone should have phoned the police and told them that there's a "bloke sat in a van outside *school name* taking photographs"

John.
LOL - Paedocam, now that WOULD be doing society a real favour... [Accountant says NO!]

D