Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much do you drink and drive

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2005, 06:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much do you drink and drive

Just wondering how much you drink (if at all) and drive, this is not asking how many of you break the law, just what you feel comfortable drinking.

If i do drive after a drink i cap it at 2 pints of normal lager tops.

Cookie
Old 05 August 2005, 06:26 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If I am going to drive immediately, then only the one pint.

If its over a meal then I'll have a max of two as the first will have mostly gone by the time I drive.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

zero 0 nada zip nothing

I DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

remind me never to accept a lift from you..

dont see why you need to..

your not allowed to do it when at work, so why when in charge of a car be any different

M
Old 05 August 2005, 06:32 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Certainly dont do it all the time but when i do, id go on the soft drinks after 2 pints as well. I think alot of people do the same from personal experience, and i know we shouldnt but it happens. mite be in for some abuse from the "holier-than thou" brigade now!
Old 05 August 2005, 06:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

You are allowed to drink and drive as well as i am allowed a certain level of alchohol in my blood at work.

The question is how much you are allowed.

And a point to raise, i was breathalised (by a friend) after three pints, drunk within the hour and about half an hour after.

I passed, although close, which is why i feel safe of two tops

Last edited by cookstar; 05 August 2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:36 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
zero 0 nada zip nothing

I DONT DRINK AND DRIVE

remind me never to accept a lift from you..

dont see why you need to..

your not allowed to do it when at work, so why when in charge of a car be any different

M
I never hide the fact that I have had a drink when I offer a lift. Feel free to decline if you wish. If you cannot feel the effects of alcohol, and you are below the limit, I do not see a problem.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:37 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

I've been out since 1:30 and have been drinking pints untill now, drove
to the pub and back.

Good job I only drink water I guess
Old 05 August 2005, 06:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's OK for you townies but I live in a semi-rural area and like to go and have a drink in a country pub. Forget buses and it's not just a fiver for a cab either, even if you can get one. So I have a couple of pints of beer and am damn sure I am well within limit. Cheers, David
Old 05 August 2005, 06:44 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I'll drink one pint tops if Im driving, and then I always go onto soft drinks, and always leave it a couple of hours before driving even then.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:50 PM
Wobbly
Scooby Regular

Just a quick note to you guys who have one pint before driving, most lagers are now strong enough to take you over the limit.....

One small bottle of Stella is 1.8 units!

Wobbly.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

2 pints max for me and those will be warm by the time I finish them.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:52 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

0 - simple as that, its not open to negotiation as far as I'm concerned.

If you believe you cannot feel the effect of the alcohol, what was the point of drinking it and why risk it.

I'm not having a go at those who may drink and legally drive, thats your discission, but its not worth the chance for me.
Old 05 August 2005, 06:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by JackClark
2 pints max for me and those will be warm by the time I finish them.
But if it's beer it will be warm to start with....
Old 05 August 2005, 06:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

So how many units is the legal limit, for an average man. I thought it worked out close to 2 units?
Old 05 August 2005, 07:08 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Thats the point - you can't be sure that the amount you have had han't put you over the legal limit, it depends how many units of what (1 unit is supposedly=to 1/2 pint of ordinary strength beer) so a pint of premium larger may well be more than 2 units.

If you have had a pint or two, can you be 100% certain that you are LEGALLY fit to drive when you leave the pub - even though you may feel fine ?

If you were then involved in an accident, would you be 100% certain that the alcohol played absolutely no part what so ever ?

Would you object to walking to pub for the foreseeable future if you were stopped and found to be over the limit?

The discission is yours - I know mine.

Gareth
Old 05 August 2005, 07:13 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

I only ever drive after 8 pints my car is far too fast and scary to drive when sober
Old 05 August 2005, 07:22 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GarethE
Thats the point - you can't be sure that the amount you have had han't put you over the legal limit, it depends how many units of what (1 unit is supposedly=to 1/2 pint of ordinary strength beer) so a pint of premium larger may well be more than 2 units.

If you have had a pint or two, can you be 100% certain that you are LEGALLY fit to drive when you leave the pub - even though you may feel fine ?

If you were then involved in an accident, would you be 100% certain that the alcohol played absolutely no part what so ever ?

Would you object to walking to pub for the foreseeable future if you were stopped and found to be over the limit?

The discission is yours - I know mine.

Gareth
Actually.......

Recently I was involved in a car crash. I'd had 2 pints over lunch and was driven into later on in the afternoon. Was breathalised (sp) and it came up green. No alcohol at all registered. Cannot say that I was surprised tbh as you loose at least 1 unit an hour (medics work on 2).

You will be fine on 1, and I never drink Stella and drive. Don't see the point, only drink Stella if you want to get drunk.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:30 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

From personal choice i dont drink and drive.

I drive and my mates drink that is fine with me i dont need alcohol to have fun. it is a personal choice but if i do want a drink then i dont drive.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:37 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

2 pints no probs. I think its a misconception that a young fit man who drinks regularly will be over the limit after 1 0r 2 pints drunk over a couple of hours

For years I worked up to 72 hours with little sleep and then drove home legally. Believe me my judgement was alot more impaired after sleep deprivation than 2 pints.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:40 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Actually.......

Recently I was involved in a car crash. I'd had 2 pints over lunch and was driven into later on in the afternoon. Was breathalised (sp) and it came up green. No alcohol at all registered. Cannot say that I was surprised tbh as you loose at least 1 unit an hour (medics work on 2).

You will be fine on 1, and I never drink Stella and drive. Don't see the point, only drink Stella if you want to get drunk.
Glad you were OK with the crash, and that you were green

I'm not suggesting that its totally irresponsible to have a pint or two and then drive, or that anyone who does should be instantly banned - there are plenty of people who cannot drive properly when totally sober.

So long as you under the legal limit , no problem, I'm just not prepared to take the risk of being borderline, or have my driving ability affected when its not really necessary.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:48 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

All the crap people talk about booze cracks me up.

Alcohol in the bloodstream decreases at approx 10% per hour. If you drink 1 unit it will affect you. If you drive & kill a child with just a couple of pints in you tell me you won't blame yourself and wonder if it was the drink.
I lost a cousin (3 yrs old) to a drink driver. He'd only had a couple after work. Murdering git.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dads mate has been stopped after 4 or 5 pints a couple of times and been clear, normal bitter, big fella, he says that the coppers just confirmed how much he could have and still drive.

I work for the Police and cant afford to get caught, wouldnt do it anyway but people at work have been caught and got away with it which I think is a disgrace when people get sacked there for lame emails, as far as I am aware you cant kill anybody with an email.
Old 05 August 2005, 07:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
All the crap people talk about booze cracks me up.

Alcohol in the bloodstream decreases at approx 10% per hour. If you drink 1 unit it will affect you. If you drive & kill a child with just a couple of pints in you tell me you won't blame yourself and wonder if it was the drink.
I lost a cousin (3 yrs old) to a drink driver. He'd only had a couple after work. Murdering git.
was he over the limit?
Old 05 August 2005, 08:30 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

I know an awful lot of facts come into this...

I understood that it takes approx. 2 hours before the body starts processing alcohol and then it processes it at approximately 1 unit per hour....

That said - I don't drink a pint and think I can drive. I know that my reactions are slower if I've had a pint than if I haven't. I couldn't live with the guilt if I hit someone and even though I was legally fit to drive I thought that I could have missed them if I was stone cold sober. Not preaching but that is my personal view.
Old 05 August 2005, 08:35 PM
Francesca.
Scooby Regular

Location: If there's a bright center to the universe, I'm in the place that is farthest from.

Originally Posted by darren...
I know an awful lot of facts come into this...

I understood that it takes approx. 2 hours before the body starts processing alcohol and then it processes it at approximately 1 unit per hour....

That said - I don't drink a pint and think I can drive. I know that my reactions are slower if I've had a pint than if I haven't. I couldn't live with the guilt if I hit someone and even though I was legally fit to drive I thought that I could have missed them if I was stone cold sober. Not preaching but that is my personal view.
I dont (but this has a lot to do with the fact I lived in the US for 9 months a few years back - lost my alcohol tolerance and never got round to getting it back - so it goes right to my head).

There's also the fact that when I walked into the office and announced I'd got a new car and 'fessed up to buying the Impreza they're now running an office pool on how long I keep my license why give them 'more help? 6 points in 2 years and I'd have to do the whole thing again .

To come back on Darren's comment alcohol affects everyone in different ways dependant on bodymass, mood, and if you're daft enough (IMHO) to mix it with prescription meds.
Old 05 August 2005, 08:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Nothing at all. Ever!

Chip
Old 05 August 2005, 09:08 PM
Focusbird
Scooby Regular

I never have an alcoholic drink when driving, cos once I get the taste for it I want another so don't bother having the first.

Once got breathalised after doing 60mph in a 30mph and having had one glass of wine, I just passed, it flickered from amber to red and back to amber - I hadn't eaten anything all day - scared the crap out of me so I've never done it since (yes I was stupid doing that speed before anyone says anything, I was 18 at the time).

Work this one out - went on the lash with some mates, got to about midnight and I was really pissed, so I started to alternate my drinks with lemonade. lemonade, bacardi breezer, lemonade, bacardi breezer, etc, etc for about my last 6 drinks. got back to my mates house who was a copper, he breathalised me and I was on amber. ie. showed I'd had a drink but was OK to drive - I was hammered!!!! Obviously I wouldn't have got in my car - can't understand how I was clear though
Old 05 August 2005, 09:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Spent a weekend in Temple Bar recently, in a lot of the clubs there there are breathelisers. Spent all night on the lash and done one myself. I passed !!

How i laughed as i got into the taxi.
Old 05 August 2005, 09:17 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

1 pint all night, might have a half at the start and another towards the end, might just have a orange and lemonade, depends how I feel. But I also think the LAW should be NO drinking and driving. This limit law gives a false sense of security. ZERO limit
Old 05 August 2005, 09:19 PM
spireite
BANNED

12 oclock hes in the pub

4 oclock its home for grub
8oclock oh hes a star
**** the walk he takes the car
drinking and drivings so much fun knock it back lets have another one

originally sung by the mac lads

Quick Reply: How much do you drink and drive