Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone used real nappies (as opposed to disposables)?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2005, 05:41 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone used real nappies (as opposed to disposables)?

Hiya,

I am seriously considering using real nappies one the little one comes along. Has anyone used them before?

What I would like to know is:

Did you buy and launder your nappies yourself? If so, where did you get them from? How much did it set you back?

Or did you get them from a company who supply them and offer laundering service?

The thing is I would rather just buy them and wash them myself; but a lot of companies offer the nappies and a laundering service together and I am confused!!!!

Please enlighten me!

Ta

C
Old 26 July 2005, 05:48 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

My ex and I used them 11yrs ago for our littl'un.

I say my ex and I, I mean my ex. I wouldn't go near the filthy stinking things. I used to sneak out for disposables if I was in charge

The memories of a bucket of bleach heaving with sh!tty nappies still makes me cringe.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:51 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Bought them, used them, hated them. It's the smell of excrement that put me off, tbh, that and the fact that you have to carry the crap around with you until you can do the whole cleaning routine. Unlike Pampers which you just lob in a bin.

Nope, disposables for me. My green, environmental bit was done by getting my kids out of nappies at the age of two!

My honest opinion is that although it seems like a good idea at the time, and you think you'll save money, the honest truth is that you won't, or not so's you'd notice. And given the additional costs of cleaning, I'd be very surprised if you saved anything environmentally. Final, deciding factor - you can get out to your 24h Tesco and get some more disposables if you run out - there's precious little you can do if your eco-friendly supply have run out and a pile of stinking nappies are waiting to be washed.
Old 26 July 2005, 05:54 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

White soft fluffy nappies, eClaire It's too long ago for me to remember the exact cost but, overall, much, much cheaper than disposables (don't set me off on a rant about disposables)

A little more effort on your part but with washable liners as well, it's no more *yuk* than disposables .....and i'd be surprised if you don't have an automatic...so..no problem
Old 26 July 2005, 05:59 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
White soft fluffy nappies, eClaire It's too long ago for me to remember the exact cost but, overall, much, much cheaper than disposables (don't set me off on a rant about disposables)

A little more effort on your part but with washable liners as well, it's no more *yuk* than disposables .....and i'd be surprised if you don't have an automatic...so..no problem

Er, you're forgetting the fact that you roll up and, well, dispose of disposable nappies. Washables, less than surprisingly, need to be washed. An automatic washing machine is a prerequisite, but it's the ****-removal, bluntly, which is the unpleasant bit.

Other thing to consider is that disposables are extremely absorbent, far more so, in my experience, than are washables. Makes a difference in terms of preventing nappy rash.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:05 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Besides, it's not going to be long before pampers, etc. are recycled. Don't ask me how I know, I just know
Old 26 July 2005, 06:10 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Moose, I have mahoosive problem with the "disposable" bit...and i'm not the most environmentally friendly soul on the planet! Where i live "disposables" are taken away for land fill, not incinerated and nothing can make me accept that that is ok.

That fact alone is a big persuader....and with nappy liners..i don't think you or your baby will notice any difference in absorbability (sp).

<never thought i would get into a debate about nappies Lol Lol )
Old 26 July 2005, 06:12 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Besides, it's not going to be long before pampers, etc. are recycled. Don't ask me how I know, I just know
THAT could make me change my mind (unless you're kidding me)
Old 26 July 2005, 06:14 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
THAT could make me change my mind (unless you're kidding me)
I'm not kidding, I just can't give any details as a lot of companies are looking into it and things like confidentiality agreements can be expensive if you breach them. Suffice to say I work with plastics at prototype stage and I've seen the future and the future's sh!tty brown
Old 26 July 2005, 06:30 PM
sociopath
BANNED

Buy normal nappies and wash them, you lazy munter!
Old 26 July 2005, 06:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

No difference in cost actually, or the environmental damage done by either.

Once you factor in washing powder, electricity, time and the fact it'll probably cost you at least £200 upfront for the nappies. (You are supposed to out nappies in a drier too rather than hang them outside - plus you couldn't rely on the weather)

Cleaning isn't so bad for breastfed but once they start on solids it's a horrible job to clean them.

Also you'll need all the rest and time you can get with a new baby and having to wash nappies is a real hassle (Most midwives recommend disposables for the first few weeks anyway.)
Old 26 July 2005, 06:41 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

When I used to use them **** years ago ! I used to get nappy liners for them. Any brown, green, yellow or multi-coloured stuff was lobbed down the loo with the liner. The nappy was then soaked in a bucket of Milton or similar, then washed a la machine.
I must admit, it bacame a bit of a tread mill. Wash dry, fold, use, wash, dry, fold, use. I welcomed the arrival of throw aways.
Yve
Old 26 July 2005, 06:43 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the moose
Other thing to consider is that disposables are extremely absorbent, far more so, in my experience, than are washables. Makes a difference in terms of preventing nappy rash.
And apparently this also leads to delays in toilet training, because they don't realise they've wet themselves.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:46 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Regardless of the 'green' element they aren't that nice for baby really. They look gorgeous when new and just put on but you have to put rubber pants over the nappy and that coupled with not so good liners ends up giving baby an awfully sore bottom

Pampers all the way for me with both
Old 26 July 2005, 06:47 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
And apparently this also leads to delays in toilet training, because they don't realise they've wet themselves.
Nah... that's not true
Old 26 July 2005, 06:50 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Nah... that's not true
Yeah - I'm serious, the midwife told us at the ante-natal classes. They'll continue sleeping, rather than wake up.

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/services/waste/nappies.htm

Babies wearing cotton nappies are potty trained 6-12 months earlier than those wearing disposable nappies.
Some other women also said that you should avoid putting babies on mattresses with springs as they have a magnetic field.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 26 July 2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 06:51 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Yeah - I'm serious, the midwife told us at the ante-natal classes. They'll continue sleeping, rather than wake up.

Some other women also said that you should avoid putting babies on mattresses with springs as they have a magnetic field.
PMSL
Old 26 July 2005, 07:10 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

My sister in law used terrys and the house stank of poo and bleach. Used disposables on all 3 of mine. Much easier. Wouldnt have used terrys even if they paid me.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:11 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't use anything else.

That study recently about "same environmental impact" was flawed. It didn't consider manufacturing costs of disposables, and reuseables DO work out cheaper long term.

In usage terms, they're a piece of ****. I can put on a reuseable as quick as a disposable. Mess is not an issue - flushable liner goes down the bog and catches 99% of mess.

Got ours here : http://www.seesawnappies.co.uk/

No reason not to. It's just down to laziness really. Yes, it does mean an extra load in the washing machine every 2.5 days, but hardly earth-shattering, nor THAT time consuming work.

There's huge debates over this one really. Nappy rash is one that the doubters often claim, but then disposables also contain some chemicals, so if you'd rather have them next to baby's skin, then so be it!

Only used disposables once when we were on holiday at a wedding and we knew there'd be no washing machine around for a few days.....but even then, they were eco-friendly disposables.....

Last edited by imlach; 26 July 2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:20 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Fair play Imlach, but a vast majority of those with good intentions go to disposables once dad's back at work.

At the end of the day do you grab an hours kip or wash sh1tty nappies?
Old 26 July 2005, 07:25 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Fair play Imlach, but a vast majority of those with good intentions go to disposables once dad's back at work.
At the end of the day do you grab an hours kip or wash sh1tty nappies?
Not here!
Everyone doubted us, but still going strong 11 months later.

Depends on your resolve I guess. Your mothers probably used reuseables and they coped.

An hour??? I can load and put a washing machine on in 2 mins. Then 5 mins to empty it and airdry them. 7 minutes every 2.5 days. That's an average of under 3 minutes per day. Yeah.....dreadful drain on the day
Old 26 July 2005, 07:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

disposables both times....

wifey looked at cotton bottoms... until you factor in a few variables...

costs were comparable to both...

dissys are just that.. disposable..

cotton bottoms.. bucket of bleach.. washing... cleaning of crap of nappy..

plus you need three times the amount they reccomend..

do the math!!!

have to laugh at all the eco warriors

"oh disposables are bad for the environment" ok...

so extra washing cycles (electricity) use of water and all those increased non surfactant inonics going back into the system are perfectly ok. and how do you dry all the stuff?? you have to use heating or a tumbly dryer more waste of electricity...

and the biggest clincher you will find....

time .....

once youve had the baby the last thing you will feel like doing is diving into a bucket of poo to do a pile of washing and a pile of ironing and looking after a baby..

my mrs didnt even look at them once littleun was born..

dissy al the way..

ignore the luddites its called progress..

M
Old 26 July 2005, 07:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Not here!
Everyone doubted us, but still going strong 11 months later.

Depends on your resolve I guess. Your mothers probably used reuseables and they coped.

An hour??? I can load and put a washing machine on in 2 mins. Then 5 mins to empty it and airdry them. 7 minutes every 2.5 days. That's an average of under 3 minutes per day. Yeah.....dreadful drain on the day
and if it rains ?? whaddya do run round the house with them on your arms??

forgot you were so perfect

mind you thats why you dont run a scoob, cos all the fuel money goes into the leccy bill!!!

LOL

Mart
Old 26 July 2005, 07:39 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

7 minutes kip every 2.5 days doesn't do the reusable debate any favours though
Old 26 July 2005, 07:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
and if it rains ?? whaddya do run round the house with them on your arms??
Err....they get hung up inside. WTF? Do you live in an igloo or something?
Old 26 July 2005, 07:42 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

7 minutes kip every 2.5 days doesn't do the reusable debate any favours though
No, but the wee one sleeps from 7pm to 6am non-stop 95% of nights. If that's down to reuseables as stated earlier in this thread, I'd highly recommend them. 11 hours peace is bliss.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:45 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Yeah but no but I bet the wee one wasn't an 11 hour sleeper at week 4, by which time most reuasble wannbe's have turned to the dark side - once there no return

We were fortunate too, ours was a 8 hour sleeper by week 6, then the holy grail 7pm-7am by week 10

Now 7.30 to 6 now she's 20 months

Last edited by Jay m A; 26 July 2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 26 July 2005, 07:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Err....they get hung up inside. WTF? Do you live in an igloo or something?
so you have to have heating on then...

all that fossil fuel wasted

arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

green peace will be camping in your back garden....

lol

m
Old 26 July 2005, 07:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yeah but no but I bet the wee one wasn't an 11 hour sleeper at week 4, by which time most reuasble wannbe's have turned to the dark side - once there no return
No, he was up 1 during that time at 4 weeks, but c'mon - 1 extra nappy change a night??? Good grief. As I said, I can change a reuseable in the same time as a disposable. Where's the problem?

Quick Reply: Has anyone used real nappies (as opposed to disposables)?