Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay message centre.

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2005, 08:16 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ebay message centre.

If someone sends you a message via Ebay message centre,and you click reply (in the outlook toolbar) is it right that it doesnt get through?
You have to use the "respond to button".
Old 24 July 2005, 09:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

It would seem so.
Stupid blo0dy message centre.

Do you have to use it when asking sellers a question.Do all messages HAVE to go through it or can you still deal through normal email?
Old 24 July 2005, 10:24 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

No, you can reply via normal email route.

It is designed however to stop undesirables asking questions to obtain your email address.

If you are unsure about the source then reply through eBay and your email address is safe.

There is talk however of it being used as the only way in the future though, how true this is, I don't know.
Old 25 July 2005, 09:15 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Spoon
No, you can reply via normal email route.

It is designed however to stop undesirables asking questions to obtain your email address.
But in this case it worked against the seller.(and me the buyer)
Normally you ask seller a question,get his email address in the reply and converse through email.To reply in message centre if you hit "reply" nothing happens (and it doesnt tell you either!!) you have to hit "respond".None of my questions got a reply so i stopped bidding about 1k less than i would have.I lost the item,and he lost 1k off the price.

Well done Ebay.

(as you can tell,i'm a bit pi$$ed off)

Does ebay have a postal address for correspondance?
Old 25 July 2005, 11:18 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Every message I get through "My Messages" is duplicated via an email to my pc or phone. I always reply to the message the normal way because I prefer it this way and it's the only real way from your phone when you are out and about.

If eBay ever insist on it being through the "My Messages" route only then I'll suffer big time as my phone is used as much, if not more than the pc to pick-up and reply to business.

If you aren't receiving messages (even responses to your questions) to your email then maybe you need to look at your eBay preferences.

One thing that you say that confuses me is "To reply in message centre if you hit "reply" nothing happens (and it doesnt tell you either!!) you have to hit "respond".
As far as I can see there is ONLY respond to click anyway in "My messages" and once you do that and send a reply it will show up in your SENT messages of "My Messages".
Old 25 July 2005, 01:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Spoon.This is the first time i've come across the message centre on Ebay.Where i was going wrong was i was replying to the email notification of the message in outlook express,not replying in the actual message centre itself.
I realise now that the email in outlook is just a notification,not the actual message and clicking reply doesnt work.
Old 25 July 2005, 03:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Spoon.This is the first time i've come across the message centre on Ebay.Where i was going wrong was i was replying to the email notification of the message in outlook express,not replying in the actual message centre itself.
I realise now that the email in outlook is just a notification,not the actual message and clicking reply doesnt work.
Paul, as I said, I get the whole message in Outlook Express and reply from there. I also get the message in "My Messages" but largely ignore it unless the question appears suspect and only then do I use it.

Therefore you have no reason to not answer questions directly from OE.