Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whoops, car untaxed!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2005, 04:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Whoops, car untaxed!

Went to go out in the other car this morning, the one the wife drives but registered to me, and to my horor, the tax disc expired on 28/02

I could have sworn I taxed it for 12 months last september, but I'm in the wrong.

I haven't received the reminder, OR the £80 fine you're supposed to get if you miss by one day.

What do I do now? If I go tonmorrow to tax it, they'll want me to say it wasn't on the road in between those times, or that I declared SORN, neither of which is true.

Any advice?

Alcazar
Old 17 July 2005, 05:25 PM
scoobymadburd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what you do now DVLA will prob send u a bill for back tax your best bet is to go into your local DVLA tax office and pay the back tax and get a new tax disc or just go to the post office and say it has been off the road and take your reggie doc, insurance certificate and mot if required.

It is possible that dvla will catch up eventually!

Claire
Old 17 July 2005, 05:38 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

I did the same [edit: year before last], made a genuine mistake in not knowing the tax on my second car was up, no reminder etc.

I just went to my local post office and taxed it, declared it was off the road for that time. That was July 2003 and I have heard nothing since. Not saying it will be OK in your case, but it was in mine

Last edited by SupaMiniCupa; 17 July 2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 17 July 2005, 06:24 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

As long as the car has not been reported as seen on a public highway, I would go with the above, go to the post office and ask for a new tax disc and say its been off road. (Haven't got the SORN on you).
DVLA is not exactly know for its accuracy, believe me, It makes me sick considering we pay for the DVLA, we have no choice to go else where and they are just plain incomptent (and rude if ever have to ring them up), and we are expected to do their job, ie dont seem to get reminders etc, latest ads re get a new V5 if not already got one. Err if they are as good as they claim (which is obvious they are not) they would know who has got one and who hasn't. Rant over !!

Richard
Old 17 July 2005, 08:14 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I'm told that if you don't do anything wrong then you have nothing to fear.
Old 18 July 2005, 08:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That will cost you unfortunately Alcazar, once they catch up. All you can do is to send the full tax which is due and hope.

Good one Hedgehog

Les
Old 20 July 2005, 10:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, this is how it ended up: I rang DVLA, and explained the problem. They were surprised that I had received neither a reminder, nor a fine.

They advised me to tax my car using the logbook, at a post office, from 01 July, and meanwhile, to send a cheque for £56.66 in back tax, to the local tax DVLA office, with covering letter.

Better than trying to get away with it, and ending up having to pay the back tax, PLUS a fine, further down the road.

Alcazar