Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

2 MINUTES SILENCE AT NOON

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 11:37 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2 MINUTES SILENCE AT NOON

REMEMBER TO STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING TODAY AT NOON FOR 2 MINUTES SILENCE TO REMEMBER THE VICTIMS AND FAMILIES OF LAST THURSDAY'S LONDON BOMBINGS
Old 14 July 2005, 11:42 AM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Why?
Old 14 July 2005, 11:47 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

If you read it properly I worded it so it says WHY to stop for 2 minutes silence for the simple reason that people like you would reply with some selfish comment, your heart must be made of ice, the fact that since last Thursday the TV has had non stop coverage about the bombings etc amazes me to even think why you have asked WHY

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 14 July 2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:50 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the 2mins silence for the 26 kids killed in Iraq yesterday?
Old 14 July 2005, 11:53 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Q to mods:
will the board be having some down time?

C
Old 14 July 2005, 11:56 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Some people are ridiculous, WHY, what a stupid question, a thread gets started for the seriousness of recent events or for people to remember people who have had a horrible and un-necassary death due to weirdos in this world and theres always one has to spoil it, sorry if you have no feeling at all or if 2 minutes is too much to ask of you out of you obvious busy schedule.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:01 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Julz1983
If you read it properly I worded it so it says WHY to stop for 2 minutes silence for the simple reason that ****** like you would reply with some selfish comment, your heart must be made of ice, the fact that since last Thursday the TV has had non stop coverage about the bombings etc amazes me to even think why you have asked WHY

My point exactly.
There's been non-stop coverage, nobody's forgotten about them.
Are you going to have a minutes silence everyday for everyone who died 7 days ago?
Does being killed by a bomb make you more worthy than being killed by a relative or a car?
Old 14 July 2005, 12:03 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

The only "period of silence" I observe is the world war rememberence service silent moments. There seems to be minutes silence for every tragedy these days, and IMHO its pretty pointless. We have had wall to wall coverage of the tragic circumstances for a week. I must admit I looked at my watch at 8:50 this morning and had some thought of what horrors took place last week, but a compulsory staged pause at midday is not the way to do these things.

Think the point being made is quite reasonable about not observing the silence. Every person has their own way of marking tragic events such as these. I do not think for one moment the people not marking the silence mean any disrespect to people caught up in last weeks mess.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:04 PM
A&E
Scooby Regular

Do we have to go through all this again? Some do, some don't. If you don't, then keep out of the thread - don't try to stir things for the rest of us who want to.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:07 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Question

??

I honoured the 2 min silence for the London attack and simply asked about those killed yesterday?

I'd like to see you say that to my face though

[some comments previously repeated edited out]

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 14 July 2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:09 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Those bombs could have gone off anywhere in the country and killed any of us.

Maybe people with doubts could have used those 2 minutes of silence to think how you'd feel if one of your friends of family had been caught up in it all!!!!!

Last edited by Moley; 14 July 2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I did and all those others killed in Iraq; especially the British and Allied troops.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:17 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

It's a very sorry state of affairs when a thread like this immediately develops into a heated debate
Old 14 July 2005, 12:20 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

People have different ideas & that is what this BBS is for - to give out knowledge & express opinions (as long as within guidelines )

I've removed the abuse which is totally unnecessary - so if you wish to continue in this thread, please do so without the petty insults.

Thanks

Puff
Old 14 July 2005, 12:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Come on James, that wasnt petty. I was being downright offensive!
Old 14 July 2005, 12:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

& so deserved to have your post vaped

Old 14 July 2005, 12:32 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the problem is the original post...its in caps and doesnt ask or remind...it tells.

ppl should be able to have a mins silence for what they want when they want.....i did the silence as i was in the car - but was thinking about a friend who died in a car crash recently - just as grim as a bomb yet no one gives her 2 mins.

keep it for the wars (IMO)

T
Old 14 July 2005, 12:32 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, what do others do when observing the silence period? As a non-practising Catholic with little time for religion I always find myself talking to "God" asking him to look out for the bereaved and their relatives and being grateful for the fact that my wife managed to avoid it last week. I almost sound like one of those Miss World contestants asking for an end to it all and world peace.

Old 14 July 2005, 12:36 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

Did I just sound like Caroline Aherne?
Old 14 July 2005, 12:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

In my mind, the more we dwell on it the more credibility it gives to the attacks. I feel sorry for the lost and their loved ones but I'm not going to lend weight to the damage caused by publicly 'grieving' at every opportunity.

Terrorists: If that's all you've got you're pathetic.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:39 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
the problem is the original post...its in caps and doesnt ask or remind...it tells.

ppl should be able to have a mins silence for what they want when they want.....i did the silence as i was in the car - but was thinking about a friend who died in a car crash recently - just as grim as a bomb yet no one gives her 2 mins.

T

Exactly!

The country has gone 2 minute silence crazy in the past few years and as Tiggs quite rightly points out, people are dying out there every hour of the day without so much as a mention on the news let alone a dedicated national period of reflection.

Over the past week I have stopped and thought about the London bombings a number of times and I really, seriously do feel for the everyone involved. However, I just disagree with being 'herded' into a large scale activity at a set time for the sake of it.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Personally I stayed @ my desk & enjoyed a bit of peace & quiet in the office & got on with some work.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:48 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

T
This is a war. Well, according to those with vested interests such as Charles Clarke.

How long did Saint Ken of 'The Pool' get?
Old 14 July 2005, 12:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
However, I just disagree with being 'herded' into a large scale activity at a set time for the sake of it.
Not just 'for the sake of it' it's all part of the brainwashing process.
Old 14 July 2005, 01:05 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
I went outside and stood as a mark of respect to those who were brutally murdered and severely injured last week. I am not one for 2 minute silences everytime someone dies like Ken Bigley for example but in my opinion this was a major event in London and I was close to one of the sites where it happened, saw the chaos and the mayhem and wanted to show a sign of respect to all those involved last Thursday.

I have thought about it lots over the last week, all the families who have had their lives destroyed by the loss of a Father, Mother Son or Daughter simply due to some fcuked up individuals deliberately setting out to murder innocent people. To me that warrants a 2 minute silence to think of how those families will have to cope 1 week after the horror that has hit their lives and how this horror can be prevented in future.
Well said
Old 14 July 2005, 01:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

I went outside and stood as a mark of respect to those who were brutally murdered and severely injured last week. I am not one for 2 minute silences everytime someone dies like Ken Bigley for example but in my opinion this was a major event in London and I was close to one of the sites where it happened, saw the chaos and the mayhem and wanted to show a sign of respect to all those involved last Thursday.

I have thought about it lots over the last week, all the families who have had their lives destroyed by the loss of a Father, Mother Son or Daughter simply due to some fcuked up individuals deliberately setting out to murder innocent people. To me that warrants a 2 minute silence to think of how those families will have to cope 1 week after the horror that has hit their lives and how this horror can be prevented in future.

superb reason for doing it.......and much better than doing it because someone on SN tells you to with capital letters.
Old 14 July 2005, 01:35 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I was in the pub having a meal with my dad (enjoying a rather nice baguette and a pint of John Smiths) and we and no-one around us stopped for the two minutes.
Disrespectful?
Not at all. Did the families of those wounded and killed ask for this "mark of respect" Nope - I don't think so...
A government civil servant (or the likes) decides its fitting and we then we get people telling us our souls will burn forever if we dont observe it.
I will mourn the tragedy of last weeks barbaric acts in my own way. I will not be told by someone on a BBS, an employer or a civil servant how to mourn the dead.
Sometimes the power of the media takes the p1ss.
Many Thanks
Old 14 July 2005, 01:40 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Well said.

We all observed it here.

One of my cousins was in one of the carriages that exploded - fortunately very minor injures physically.
Old 14 July 2005, 01:42 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

superb reason for doing it.......and much better than doing it because someone on SN tells you to with capital letters.
Soorrrryyyyy, but I wasn't telling or asking, I was reminding, and yes I know people hadn't forgot, but seeing as noone else had put a post in for the 2 minutes silence then I thought I would, The capitals meant nowt, you may have thought they did but I know they didn't, obviously people have there own opinions on the matter and their own reasons for doing 2 minutes silence for whatever event and that is respected, but I don't really like being shot down in flames just coz I had my caps lock on when it meant sweet FA.

Quick Reply: 2 MINUTES SILENCE AT NOON