Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO Hayfever sufferers

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 09:48 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAO Hayfever sufferers

Last year I started getting the symptoms and had to resort to Clarityn on the odd occasion. For about the last month now I've had it pretty bad and the Clarityn doesnt seem to do much anymore. What do people recommend as a non-drowsy remedy. I'm constantly bunged-up and sneezing all the time with slight itchy eyes and its affecting my concentration at work.
Old 14 July 2005, 09:52 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Piriteze One-a-Day, Beconase nasal spray and Opticrom eye drops combined just about keep me going. I really rate the Piriteze, they're non drowsy and the best tablets I've used.
Old 14 July 2005, 09:54 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

The pollen count is at a 15 year high apparently !
Old 14 July 2005, 09:58 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
Last year I started getting the symptoms and had to resort to Clarityn on the odd occasion. For about the last month now I've had it pretty bad and the Clarityn doesnt seem to do much anymore. What do people recommend as a non-drowsy remedy. I'm constantly bunged-up and sneezing all the time with slight itchy eyes and its affecting my concentration at work.
Sympathy mate!
Me too...had it when I was a boy, haven't been bothered with it for yerars, then all of a sudden for the past 2 weeks I've been a right mess.

I remember when I was a boy that the doc told me you can build up a resistance to the active ingredients.
Clarityn contain loratadine. I find that these tabs does nothing for me.
Certirizine hydrochloride 10mg seems to be more effective for me.
So for past 2 weeks, I've been on various certirizine tabes (ZIRTEC, own brand pharmacy etc..). Absolutely no probs (I even cut the grass without flinching!)

I've also had the feeling that I want to scratch my eyes out lately!
I got some eyedrops (Opticrom), these seem to be doing the trick.

Can't wait until the cooler weather comes in !!!!

C
Old 14 July 2005, 10:05 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

same here, caught it when I was about 11 playing in the grass, set me off big time, was bad with it til I was about 20 then it seemed to stop. 2 years ago I started getting it fairly bad again... benadryl seems to do well for me but gives me nose bleeds.. if I take the dog for a walk or cut grass Im stuffed, the whole night is ruined for me this year if I do anything like that, I can smell the pollen entering my nose so I tend to breathe throu my mouth now but I get pollen on the chest, gives similar symptoms to asthmah (sp?)

btw, wear sunglasses as often as possible too, helps with the eyes no end
Old 14 July 2005, 10:07 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

get one of those vaseline "lip therapy" tins.
Smear a little vaseline on the inside of your nostrils. Not too much, but make sure you get it all over the inside, pinch your nostrils to make sure.
What happens is, as you breath in, the pollen sticks to the vaseline before it has a chance to get into your nose and cause a reaction.
I'm growing out of mine now (luckily), but last year I was pretty bad until I discovered this. Cheaper than paying 6 quid a week on antihistamine too.
Try it,
astraboy.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:08 AM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

goto the doctor and get advice,he will give u these tablets fexofenadine 120mg. they will sort u out proper
Old 14 July 2005, 10:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Vaseline up the nose - ugh, astraboy you're wierd
Old 14 July 2005, 10:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Find a good chemist and ask them to tell you which generic (non-branded) tablets he has. They should stock Loratadine and Certirizine in 30's for about £4, that's a months supply for the cost of 1 weeks branded stuff. Agree with the vaseline up the nostrils, and for the eyes, simple Optrex is as good as most and the larger bottles last ages.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:26 AM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Cheers for the advise guys'n'gals. I think a trip the chemists is called for. Can't be a**ed to go to the docs about this. I'd have to wait 2 weeks for the first available appointment and then i'm seen for a nano second and given a prescription. They say to speak to your local pharmacists about minor things nowadays so thats what i'll do
Old 14 July 2005, 10:27 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the vasaline trick sounds worth a try
Old 14 July 2005, 10:30 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

You could also try Bostick, has a longer effect than vaseline
Old 14 July 2005, 10:42 AM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

it will have more effect if its prescribed trust me im a doctor
Old 14 July 2005, 10:52 AM
Comper100
Scooby Regular

I too have only just started getting it, living on a farm it kinda gets a tad inconvinent at times!

I went to the doctor as Benadryl stopped working, he gave me some Nasonex spray. i shoot up on that in the mornings and im sorted, however the symtoms have gone now even if i don't take it!
Old 14 July 2005, 10:55 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

I`ve been giving hubby and his eldest son Vitamin C for about eight weeks now. They have the 'one a day' ones....but they have one in the morning and one with the evening meal.....
The stepson suffers quite bad like you have been and he didn`t believe me that Vit C would work so I told him to try it and see..................HEY PRESTO he hasn`t had ANY symptoms this year......except when he went to his mums for a week and didn`t take the tablets with him, then he came back and said yes I was right and he would take them.

It`s not recommended for long term use, but it`s only for a while to build up your immunity during the summer.

Try it and see if it helps.....
Old 14 July 2005, 11:05 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This Vit C idea. When do you start to take the tablets, and at what strength?

I've got hayfever bad, and have been to the docs on many occasions. They have yet to control the symptoms, so I'm looking for anything that can give me an edge.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:23 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Every year for the past 5 years I've been suffering more and more. Mine is grass pollen allergy so thankfully it's only early on in the summer I suffer. This year was the first time "1 a day" tablets weren't enough. Tried Benadryl and Piritan (3 a day and 4 a day). Both worked but found the Benadryl best for me.

Was talking to the chemist and was told that what works for one person might not work for another
Old 14 July 2005, 11:30 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Dont bother with anything that contains Loraditine (sp?) as I have been told that its completly useless. The better one is Cetirizine (dihydrochloride).
Old 14 July 2005, 11:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Ignore all the chemists stuff and pharmacy remedies.

You need to buy some proper honey on the comb which is produced close to where you live. Its in short supply this year, but the mrs managed to get some yesterday. She suffers really badly but tried the honey remedy last year and it worked a treat.

I think she just has a spoonful a day, and the pollen in the honey acts as an antidote or something, completely alleviating the problems.

Regarding vit C, I have had 1 of the fizzy drink vit c tablets every day for years now, and I'm the only one in our group that doesnt get hayfever so maybe theres some truth in it??
Old 14 July 2005, 12:03 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I've only recently heard about the honey method. The honey from your local area contains small quantities of the alergens that set your hayfever off. If you eat the honey for a long time before the hayfever season in small quantities then your body is able to build some sort of immunity to it. Something along the lines of how a flu jab works.

I'm no doctor though, so I hope I'm not misleading anyone with that info. Going to try this method for next year.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:23 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thats the one, worked well for my better half last year so shes doing it again.

Just had my daily vit c fix so i should be OK
Old 14 July 2005, 12:51 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I used to have the injection but its a steroid so after 5 years I knocked that on the head. I now use the perscription only NEO Clarytin and its been good for me.

Gary
Old 14 July 2005, 01:29 PM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

try taking Zinc.... every day, all year... have found since starting to take Zinc i have never suffered from hayfever since
Old 14 July 2005, 01:48 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

This might sound odd, but since I started going to the gym, I haven't had half the problems I normally do. Last year I was on Clarityn (perscription version) Fexofenedine(sp?) and whatever else I could lay my hands on....

This year, I've taken 3 tablets so far, and one of those was because I was leading hay in.
Old 14 July 2005, 02:15 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Mate in the office has been taking local honey for ages and he says he's never had hayfever as bed as he's getting it now.

I haven't been too bad for the last couple of years - keep getting a bit of a sniffle but it's been a long time since one of those "please let me die" episodes.

I always used Tilludan (sp) but apartently its been discontinued now. My doctor told me that if I had too much grapefruit juice it would interfere with my period - f**king good doctor that can't tell male from female!
Old 14 July 2005, 02:30 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
This Vit C idea. When do you start to take the tablets, and at what strength?

I've got hayfever bad, and have been to the docs on many occasions. They have yet to control the symptoms, so I'm looking for anything that can give me an edge.

I buy the 'Tesco' brand...'One A Day'...only they take two, one in the morning and one in the evening, I started them on Vit C when the hayfever season started, well, when the weather people started telling us the pollen counts....touch wood, it`s working and has done for the last three years....

Oh, tried the honey, but doesn`t seem to work for my two.
Old 14 July 2005, 02:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Well, its certainly worth a try. Espeically if you do not have to take it all year round. Hopefully it will work for me!
Old 14 July 2005, 04:44 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Beconase naysel is the only thing I have found to work.

Well except piriton, but that put me in a comatose state and so was not good for driving and work (powertools and working up ladders)

I have tired all sorts zirtec, clarytin, benodrill, homeopathic tablets, even some things perscribed to the mother outlaw failed to work even after overdosing accidentally on them, I assumed they were a four day tablet like most of the others but they should only have been one a day, after the third one had no effect and I complained about them she pointed out I should have only taken one every 24 hours so they did not work at all...

Can't stand honey...

This year has been really bad.

Got hayfever at the age of 4 and was told I would grow out of it by 10, then 15, then 18 and now they reakon I might have it till I am about 40 which is when most long term sufferers dump it. so only 15 more years of blowing my nose every day and 10 minute snezzing fits...
Old 14 July 2005, 05:08 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

The only one that's worked for me this year is fluxonase . Been through benadryl, zirtec, clarytin and the generic equivalents to little avail. Aller-eze full strength works but knocks me out cold after 4 hrs ...

Steve
Old 14 July 2005, 06:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm sitting here, in 32C (feels like temp of 38) and I've got a bloody cold!

I've been taking Piriton and that seems ok. Have also got the Vicks Nasal inhaler night on permantly stuck up my hooter, plus the Halls Extra Strong are being sucked on.

Seems to be clearing things up somewhat.

I do also have hayfever, hence the mention of piriton. I've also tried Claritin (works ok) and Alerious (think that's the name) and they seem to be working.

Thankfully I usually just get a bit bunged up or sneeze a lot, and don't have to deal with dodgy eyes.

Sometimes summer is not fun at all

Quick Reply: FAO Hayfever sufferers