Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

National I.D cards your thoughts please..

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 08:56 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default National I.D cards your thoughts please..

we all see so many problems in life arising from problems that a simple I.d card would in my opinion help eliminate

i have listened to arguments from work and through another forum but was wondering what the general consensus here is for/against them

i think national I.D cards would help

against the following

illegal immigrants - no time for them at all

various driving situations - has person got insurance ,tax,convictions etc

identity of person with photograph - updated every 5 or 10 years

basic information about person age,sex, important medical issues- diabetics for instance

and before we get the one who are dead against these I.D cards

i do not agree with them being used to monitor people, they would be simply used to for identification purposes

one person i spoke to said "big brother watching you" another said an "invasion of privacy" to this i answered "only if you have something to hide"

as my grans states " had,em int war they did'nt do anyone any harm. place was a safer place to be and every knew the score no I.D card, you'd be dragged off to the police station for a while"

i dont want this to turn into a raging war and flame thread ( though i have mine on now )

a simple question for all of you out there is it good or bad

i'm for it as long as 1. we dont have to pay for it 2. blair does'nt take the P!ss.....

thanks in advance guys
Old 13 July 2005, 09:16 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My personal issue with 'ID Cards' is simply that as a subject in a free country I do not accept that I should be forced to carry a card (with my fingerprint; iris and possibly the way we're going, DNA information on. This personal information is mine alone and is no more anyone elses business than the size of my dick or whether Im called Wanda at the weekend) to be shown on-demand to f*ck knows who.....

The notion that a whole raft of problems will be solved by this is absolute and complete bollocks Most of the problems thatll alledgedly be solved with 'ID Cards' were actually caused by f*ck-witted government in the first place, perhaps they should address them directly. Terrorism? maybe, instead of trying to force worthless 'ID Cards' onto us the government would consider effectively policing our borders? This is a f*cking novel idea I know but how about detaining and immediately deporting all of the criminals (because thats what they are) who attempt to enter the country using false documentation instead of allowing them in if they promise to return within 48hrs for investigation? God alone knows who has gained entry to our country due to this....

I have to add that I have seen some of the most stupid, complacent, ignorant and uneducated replies in threads about 'ID cards'; I despair. People seem to forget (as do polititians) that we are not 'ruled' in any respect by 'the Government'; they are elected representitives and they administer the country on our behalf, for as long as they have our mandate to do so.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE !

Citizen Simon
Old 13 July 2005, 09:25 PM
C 8HEP
Scooby Regular

i heard they are £130 each
Old 13 July 2005, 09:30 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

ouch that hurt
Old 13 July 2005, 09:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

There have been several threads in NSR about this. Might be worth searching for as it's been done to death already.
Old 13 July 2005, 09:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

read up on how they dont solve ANY of the things they are supposed to solve (and yet cost hundreds of pounds that could be more effectively spent say employing more policemen) at www.no2id.com

And of course this... http://eclectech.co.uk/clarkeidcards.php

Last edited by warrenm2; 13 July 2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:27 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

We are, without a shadow of a doubt, living in a police state. Take the red pill and see through the illusion
Old 14 July 2005, 02:10 AM
zakk
Scooby Regular

Im afraid cant see any real benefits of ID cards, I mean if the police want identification, they'll get it one way or another, who else would need ID cards? Babyfaced 18 year old lads wanting to get in to clubs and to buy alcohol? Illegal immigrantion can be tackled buy pouring more resources in to the borders, nipping the problem in the bud.

The drawbacks outweigh the gains, it'l just be another step towards depriving Britons of their liberty. ID cards are synonomous with hardline regimes, not Britain. They had them in the war, but that was a WORLD WAR! If they become mandatory, When people start forgetting them then they'l probably be fined or face court etc.

More burden on the taxpayer, the courts and just another government fine, like speedcameras (although they actually serve a purpose) for us to moan about. If it aint broke, dont fix it, thats my two shekels' worth.
Old 14 July 2005, 08:20 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5ban91r
i'm for it as long as 1. we dont have to pay for it 2. blair does'nt take the P!ss.....
thanks in advance guys
You summed it up perfectly there.....

1. You will have to pay for it - directly or indirectly
2. Blair HAS, DOES and WILL take the **** - that's what he and the rest of his cretins do!
Old 14 July 2005, 09:56 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by GC8
My personal issue with 'ID Cards' is simply that as a subject in a free country I do not accept that I should be forced to carry a card (with my fingerprint; iris and possibly the way we're going, DNA information on. This personal information is mine alone and is no more anyone elses business than the size of my dick or whether Im called Wanda at the weekend) to be shown on-demand to f*ck knows who.....

The notion that a whole raft of problems will be solved by this is absolute and complete bollocks Most of the problems thatll alledgedly be solved with 'ID Cards' were actually caused by f*ck-witted government in the first place, perhaps they should address them directly. Terrorism? maybe, instead of trying to force worthless 'ID Cards' onto us the government would consider effectively policing our borders? This is a f*cking novel idea I know but how about detaining and immediately deporting all of the criminals (because thats what they are) who attempt to enter the country using false documentation instead of allowing them in if they promise to return within 48hrs for investigation? God alone knows who has gained entry to our country due to this....

I have to add that I have seen some of the most stupid, complacent, ignorant and uneducated replies in threads about 'ID cards'; I despair. People seem to forget (as do polititians) that we are not 'ruled' in any respect by 'the Government'; they are elected representitives and they administer the country on our behalf, for as long as they have our mandate to do so.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE !

Citizen Simon
What he said

Unfortunately Governments of both persuasions forgot the bit about being our elected representatives long ago
Old 14 July 2005, 10:18 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Unfortunately Governments of both persuasions forgot the bit about being our elected representatives long ago
And that's as much our fault as theirs given the electorate's apathy in this country which is why so much legislation is disguised or watered down so that it gets past the scrutiny of the general population.

A good example of this is ID cards given the way the Government is planning to introduce them:

To begin with they will be voluntary and even when fully implemented the carrying of ID cards will still be voluntary so if you're asked for your ID you'll have time to produce them at a local police station. This is pointless as only the average law abiding citizen will follow this process with the criminals etc simply not bothering.

As far as terrorism is concerned they will have no discernible impact because
a) look at countries that already have ID cards such as Spain which failed to hamper terrorist attacks.
b) Charles Clarke himself has said that they will be no deterrent to terrorism.

I also don't see significantly lower levels of illegal immigration or crime in countries such as Spain which has rising crime levels and a massive problem with illegal immigrants from Morrocco and Africa - again I don't see the point of issuing ID cards if they have been proved not to work.

From my standpoint, I can only see yet another expensive layer of bureaucracy (think Police time, the cost of ID cards and yet another Government quango set up to issue them) which will have little effect in acting as a deterrent to the criminal element and will merely enable the Government to further erode our civil liberties.

If anyone can provide conclusive proof that there will be measurable benefits to their introduction then I'll be the first in the queue but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:23 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

"Security" will become the buzzword for everything.
So, in the interest of "Security" the Government might decide that identification of all computers you use or have access to should be recorded on your ID card.
Then "web surveillance" coupled with "markers" in the database will soon have those with the "wrong" attitudes identified.
The "Thought Police" are on their way.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:24 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

ID Card??? More like chocolate fire guard..............
Old 14 July 2005, 10:41 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by C 8HEP
i heard they are £130 each
Current estimates = £300 each (and likely to rise)

All denied of course by our wonderful and so, so competent government.
Old 14 July 2005, 10:48 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

ID cards will only become "partially" effecitve when they are compulsary to carry at ALL times and have to be shown prior to purchasing any goods and on entering any building or method of transport. I object to that level of embuggarance in my daily life, and where I could become a criminal because I dash to the shop on a Sunday morning for a bottle of milk and the papers and I have forgotten to pick up my ID card before leaving.

These cards are likely to hold an awful lot of personal details about you, if the Police are able to read that card, others will be able to as well (including undesirables). Personally I'd want my card in a bank vault not out and about with me in public where it could be lost, stolen, broken, damaged etc.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:24 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5ban91r

illegal immigrants - no time for them at all
how do you think holding an id card will stop illegals??

various driving situations - has person got insurance ,tax,convictions etc
convictions are already on a license and insurance and tax are specific to a vehicle and not a person.

identity of person with photograph - updated every 5 or 10 years
driving license does that

basic information about person age,sex, important medical issues- diabetics for instance
driving license does that and i dont see why medical issues should be anyones business but your own. If you wear a bracelet or necklace with info in fair enough but it shouldnt be compulsary
Old 14 July 2005, 12:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
And that's as much our fault as theirs given the electorate's apathy in this country which is why so much legislation is disguised or watered down.....
The apathy that you mention is the single thing that infuriates me the most about this issue. How many people have stated that as they have nothing to hide they wouldnt object to the intrusion? One imbecile even said that he wouldnt object to his baby daughter being DNA tested at birth as she wouldnt be a criminal either! Ffs! This winds me up SO much that I struggle to articulate why this is unacceptable and I cant understand why it isnt obvious to everyone.

This is similar to the recently debated new terrorism powers; personally I wouldnt care if the SAS shot the people in question; but you cant allow a polititian to sanction detention at their pleasure, you CANT. The precedent that this sets is terrifying; who might be interned next, fox hunters, Conservative voters, sports cars drivers.....? A possible short-term benefit will NEVER justify unacceptable legislation.

Voters of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains!

Citizen Simon

Last edited by GC8; 14 July 2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:16 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

i blame b.liar
Old 14 July 2005, 12:28 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
The apathy that you mention is the single thing that infuriates me the most about this issue. How many people have stated that as they have nothing to hide they wouldnt object to the intrusion? One imbecile even said that he wouldnt object to his baby daughter being DNA tested at birth as she wouldnt be a criminal either! Ffs! This winds me up SO much that I struggle to articulate why this is unacceptable and I cant understand why it isnt obvious to everyone.

This is similar to the recently debated new terrorism powers; personally I wouldnt care if the SAS shot the people in question; but you cant allow a polititian to sanction detention at their pleasure, you CANT. The precedent that this sets is terrifying; who might be interned next, fox hunters, Conservative voters, sports cars drivers.....? A possible short-term benefit will NEVER justify unacceptable legislation.

Voters of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains!

Citizen Simon
It's a slightly unfair comparison in that in Australia you are required by law to vote (some still don't) but I remember when ID cards were first mooted there which resulted in such a public backlash that the idea was scrapped. However, over here people spend too much time whinging and not enough time engaging with the politicians.

Any Government, regardless of poltical orientation is going to be very interested in increasing it's powers and knowledge of the population and its all very well people saying that they have nothing to hide, therefore they don't mind but its the gradual erosion of privacy and freedom that bothers me. Just look at the amount of information gathered on loyalty cards to see what I mean and if you took a similar process with ID cards then the potential for abuse is immense.
Old 14 July 2005, 12:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Any Government, regardless of poltical orientation is going to be very interested in increasing it's powers and knowledge of the population and its all very well people saying that they have nothing to hide, therefore they don't mind but its the gradual erosion of privacy and freedom that bothers me.
My concerns exactly.

Simon
Old 14 July 2005, 12:34 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
My concerns exactly.

Simon
A Northerner and a Southerner agreeing? Whatever next? World peace?
Old 14 July 2005, 12:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A toast to 'World peace';........... will you be having a shandy?
Old 14 July 2005, 12:52 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Aye Lad, and I'll nod a toast to you if I recognise you across the bar with your flat cap and whippet to hand.
Old 14 July 2005, 01:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I'm a faux Northerner really, although I do have gravy on my chips.....
Old 14 July 2005, 10:31 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

...so, those against - Sign the pledge - only 149 to go!!!

mb
Old 14 July 2005, 10:55 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I'll Happily carry one but no way am I paying for it. And I didn't say the one I'd be carrying would be mine !
Old 14 July 2005, 10:55 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

GC8...... that should be curry sauce. With the mushy peas of course.