Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review Hardcore Heaven V. Slinky 8/7/05

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 11:29 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review Hardcore Heaven V. Slinky 8/7/05

After their first collaboration with Slinky, Hardcore Heaven definitely hit the nail on the head. One of my favourite promotions put on an event to be proud of in one of my favourite parts of the world to rave in, namely the south coast.

I knew I had to be there, The Opera House was a complete sell out last time and the atmosphere was up near the rafters from start to finish. This time, more of the same was promised, as well as a DJ lineup to equal (if not better) the original.

The good sense to keep the "Vs" part to a minimum, the only offerings that were not 100% Hardcore were from Amber D and Tara Reynolds and they were going b2b for an hour. The rest was Hardcore at its finest with SY, Kevin Energy, Hixxy, Styles, Breeze and Seduction all headlining. Mark EG was also listed, but as he is Hardcore as you like a notable exception can be made, even if he weren't going to Spin the event's namesake on this occasion.

As well as that, my personal favourite aspect of the last part had also made a welcome return. The upstairs arena was once again filled with the finest DJs the south coast know and love, namely Ramos and Supreme and Druid providing the local (yet huge) talent and Hixxy, Sharkey, Vibes and Livelee providing all the back up you need for a "Hardcore Classics" arena. Lastly, the MC card had not gone wanting with Storm, Whizzkid, Marley, & Smiley all booked to pic up the mic and cover the lyrical aspect of the rave.

I was well up for this one, even if my friends weren't. Its been a while since I drove to a rave on my tod, but nothing, least of all a dull journey down to the venue, would stop me reaching for this one.
The journey was quiet as you like and I rolled into Bournemouth a little after 9pm.

Rounding to the corner to the venue was a dull experience. Why? Cos the noise the massive queue were making already told me how big it was! A line of Hardcore ravers a good 600 strong had beaten me to it and although I had to hang back for a moment, all the entertainment I needed was there, from the crowd's spontanious noise making, to some of life's more "colourful" characters taking it all in whilst in varying states of inebriation.

Eventually it was my turn and I got inside the venue search free once I was inside. From this point, I was on a mission and nothing was going to stop me. Exploring the venue had already been taken place last time, it was all about the Hardcore Classics tonight, especially as DJ Druid was on the decks.

Nobody can do classic Hardcore sets like this man, hoever if you think he relies on the same formulas to get the crowd moving every time then think again. This time his start up was a break from the norm with some SERIOUSLY good obscure breakbeat driven tracks. For a solid 26 minutes, I had no idea what this man was playing. Not a clue. All I do know was it was Breakbeat Hardcore at its finest, an eyeopening experience, as well as being very, very dancable.

Thereafter, it was a more familiar, but no less entertaining path that Druid trod for the rest of his set. As the strengthing crowd got down to business almost as soon as they set foot in the arena, Druid made sure they were entertained to the max by dropping "Cold as Ice", "Rainbow high in the sky", "You had it all" and "I can feel it".

Totally MC free and all the better for it as well, the crowd were of the self hyping variety and that was only backed up as Hixxy took over for the closing moments and scratched it up like a goodun to bring Druid's set to a close. What a way to start.

If that weren't good enough, the next DJ, namely Hixxy himself, was playing a rare old skool set and I couldn't wait. I had heard a brief snippet of his interpretation of the old skool sound at the weekender and I wanted more.

What I got initally was a distinct downturn in BPMs. Out went the 95 madness and in came the 93 darkness. It was more than a little unexpected, but no less dancable, especially with MC Marley backing him up all the way on the mic. However, it was, once again, crowd reaction that led the way up in the second arena.

The discerning old skoolers were kept happy with a known Hardcore jock giving the crowd a rare old skool set, while the anthem maniacs were happy with the party starting tune selection, such as "Edge 1" and "Can you feel it". The fans of talented MCs were MORE than entertained by the impromptu reunion of The Rhythm Station's "Big three", namely Marley, Sharkey and a rare apprearence from MC Knight, all of them going b2b and melding together as seamlessly as you like.

As well as the anthems, Hixxy also made sure eyebrows were raised during his set. At one point Sharkey was jumping up and down and pointing towards the decks as one of his clear favourites came in. As well as that, I thought it would be a cold day in hell before I saw Hixxy play a Drum & Bass tune, but thats just what I heard when "Valley of the Shadows" came in, not to mention it being quickly followed by "Imagination", "Power of Love", and "Raveheart"

Next up was another hour with feet firmly planted in the second arena as Sharkz ditched the b2b reunion and took to the decks for the next set. I knew what was in store for the next hour, non stop Freeform Classics. Hixxy stepped to one side and Sharkey obliged the more than up for it crowd.

It was one of those sets where you lose track of time in an instant. The only thing that matters is the next tune and when it comes in it pushes all the right buttons and then some. For most of the set I had no idea what I was dancing to, I have real difficulty IDing freeform at the best of times, but I neither knew nor cared what was being played, the only thing I was doing was raving hard and loving every minute of it.

As Marley and Knight continued at two thirds of the triple combo, Sharkz went into overdrive as the BPMS shot up and the stomping quickly followed in its wake. Thereafter the only two tunes I recognised out of the whole set made themselves evident, namely the original version of "Bodyslam" and the awesome "Product of Society". The rest of the set involved me keeping my head down and feet moving. Quickly.

Lastly as Sharkz drew his set to a close, he could resist it no longer, whilst the tunes played out on the decks he got on the mic and gave us his verbal, as well as musical best, with lyrics such as "Dancing wall to wall" forthcoming, the results effortlessly hyping up the crowd to a frenzy.

That was it for me upstairs, I could have spent the whole night up there, but the main room was calling and I couldn't ignore it any longer, especially with Seduction next up to play. As I walked down the stairs to the main arena, I realised downstairs was just as rammed as upstairs. It was a real mission to get near the front, but I persevered and eventally got to where I belonged.

Handily enough it was just in time for the start of Seduction's set. He was the one person I missed last weekend and this would make up for it nicely. Storm controlling things on the mic was an added bonus.

Seduction made short work of getting the crowd going. Playing a tough, bouncy and upfront set, he and the late arriving MC Rude got to work in the packed main arena and made the ravers in the place go for it as one.

Whilst Rude gave the crowd some new crowd participation lyrics to mull over such as "Hardcore boys, where's all the noise", Seduction got the crowd and me, stomping with tunes such as the remixes of "Keep on trying" and "D.E.V.I.L" both making an appearence, as well as the awesome "Make some noise for Hardcore" being played out to finish off his set.

The final set of the night for me had to be Breeze in the main arena. Especially when Whizzkid was due to take things home on the mic. I knew what to expect and didnt want any different either. The final set was full to the brim with upfront, euphoric rushy tunes which got my hands straight in the air at regular intervals.

The packed dancefloor had not thinned out at all and all three parts of the equation, DJ, MC and ravers made the most of the final hour. Breeze for his part in the deal came up trumps with a first class selection of tunes, including the dreamy "Come and fly with me", "I adore" and "Feel so real", while Whizzkid gave everything for the party crew and in return got a truckload of response when he dropped his more popular lyrics such as "Pump Pump" and "A- team"

This was only one half of the set though. The second half was notable for Storm joining his partner in sound on the mic and giving the ravers an MCSquared showcase to end the rave.

Breeze made sure the crowd knew who had just made this a three way battle as he dropped "Dark like Vader" Shortly after Storm's appearence, as well as the remix of "Keep on trying", "Getting better" and finally finishing off the night (a little after 4am again, nice one) with "Heartbeatz"

Things I liked:

South Coast - My favourite place to rave. I love going down there.

Attendance - Packed out again, nice one.

Aircon - Despite it being rammed, the place was still cool enough to dance, even if you were shoulder to shoulder with your fellow ravers.

Decor - Last time there was precious little HH branding, this time there were two big Hardcore Heaven mobiles above the mainstage. Okay, one needing a bit of inflating, but thats beside the point dammit!

Main arena sound system - Loud, clear and thumping. Cant ask for much more than that can you?

Time extension - 3am is for wimps. You're not going to get a 6am finish down there, but 4am more than makes up for it.

Lineup - For a 4am finish it was as well appointed as an all nighter. In both arenas too.

Classics arena - I love this place, probably the reason why I didnt leave it for the first three hours I was there!

Rhythm Station reunion - Knight, Sharkz and Marley, all of them were in the zone that night. More please.

Things I liked less -

Sound in the second arena - Although initially good, it was the mic that was the main problem, constant feedback put a dampner on the party.

Toilet doors - Have you tried taking a dump with no lock on the door? Its bloody difficult!

Once again, the south coast has come up trumps. I am yet to go down there and have a bad night. Full on attendence, even more full on atmosphere (on crowd noise alone) yet not a shred of attitude all night. I love going down to the Southcoast to rave to Hardcore and this was another winner.

This was had all that I expected the location to provide and more. More so in the shape of the amazing Old Skool room upstairs. Hixxy going for a rare old skool set, Sharkey playing only the best in freeform classics and Druid... for being Druid. Nothing more needs to be said. Except of course for the unscheduled three way MC-a-thon from Marley, Sharkey and Knight proving they still have what it takes to MC in modern times, yet in the authentic way it was done back in the day, whilst having as much fun as the crowd are.

I would have been happy enough to spend the whole night there, but to have that AS WELL as the full on upfront business downstairs with only the best in the business on the decks and mic in the packed and crackling with energy main arena? In that respect I am not in the least bit surprised the place has had two sell outs in as many events. I fully expect it to do so the next time around as well. Although I will have to be there just to make sure of course
astraboy.

Shouts to: Jordan Lost soul, Poison, Jedi, Delite, Paul (lurking crew), Hannah, Clodhopper, Mike Slammer, Hixxy, Styles, Breeze (M27 crew), Seduction, Mrs, Seduction, Druid & Lindsay (Respect!) Rude, Storm, Whizzkid, Smiley, Sharkey, Marley, Knight, Vibes, Livelee and anyone else I forgot.
Old 13 July 2005, 12:11 AM
Diamond Dave
Scooby Regular

You're asking for it ain't ya? Those 2 clowns are going to pounce on this like a jack russell on your leg.
Old 13 July 2005, 12:14 AM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

I have read and digested every word.

Can we have some more please?
Old 13 July 2005, 12:25 AM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

cant be bothered to read that lot
Old 13 July 2005, 06:10 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

big-up
Old 13 July 2005, 09:43 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
You're asking for it ain't ya? Those 2 clowns are going to pounce on this like a jack russell on your leg.
maybe, but you have to ask whether the opinion of a bitter and twisted has-been House jock and someone with all the wisdom and knowledge that a mere 88 posts can bring is worth anything.
I know it don't mean much to me, so thats why I'm gonna keep doing what I do.The Raverbaby review will be up by tonight
astraboy.
Old 13 July 2005, 11:40 AM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

BETTER A HASBEEN THAN A NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE
ive played most of the major clubs in the country and guested worldwide
been there allready
Old 13 July 2005, 05:42 PM
Aaron C. Reskew
Scooby Regular

Location: I made Miss Ugly M Lardarse my Princess and we're having a baby!

I just had to BTTT this for anybody unfortunate enough to miss it the first time round
Old 13 July 2005, 07:49 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

fanks