Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Holiday Insurance Payout Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2005, 02:19 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holiday Insurance Payout Problem..

Hello.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help me with a claim im in the process of making as the insurance company in question are playing silly buggers.

Recently on holiday me and a mate had some money stolen out of our wallets in our hotel room. On arriving we went down to a welcome meeting at our hotel and i left a wallet (contents of approx 400 Euro) in our room. At the time it was before reception was open and therefore too early for a safety deposit box. My mate left approximately the same. When we returned this money had been taken, although the wallets had been left. Our room was locked (in fact it was a door that can only actually be opened with the room key, i.e the door has no handle). Around this time the maid was on her travels and obviously she would be the only person with access to the room when we were not in it. Think of this what you will.

Now, aside from the fact that it was not the best decision in the world to leave a wallet there with that amount of money in, which i hold my hands upto, our insurance company initially agreed that as long as we could present proof of actually possessing the currency (i.e a receipt for it), a police report and a claim form from the holiday company filled in by the rep, they would pay out for the stolen money. However, now on returning home they are being arsey about it and claiming that because there is no sign of forced entry they will not pay out for any losses. The thief obviously had a key. What on earth do they expect us to do about this ffs?!?! Im not entirely happy with this and at the minute i dont know whether they are simply trying it on or whether they genuinely dont have to pay out. I cant see anything relating to this in the policy. In my eyes it is still theft and they should pay out as we HAD left the room locked and therefore werent *totally* irresponsible.

Im p1ssed off about the whole situation and now hate insurance companies more than ever. If somebody could give me any purposeful advice about the whole situation to get it resolved in my best interests i would be very grateful.

Cheers

Matt.
Old 11 July 2005, 09:45 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

All the insurance companies are rip off! You really need to carry on arguing your point.I have been there and carried on with my argument.It took them long time before they would accept the claim but at the end,they did.keep writing to them and have everything back in writing as well e.g. their reason to decline the claim.If it comes to it,drag them to the court if you are 100% certain you are legally right.They will end up paying all the costs plus,the claim.You carry on arguing your point mate.I am sure you have been through their small prints etc.
good luck!

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 July 2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spellings were fooked!:(
Old 11 July 2005, 09:50 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

only one place for hard cash - in your pocket!!!!

hope you get it sorted, and others learn...from this.

all the best

TT
Old 11 July 2005, 02:51 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Does anybody else have any ideas how i can proceed with this??
Old 11 July 2005, 03:39 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Ombudsman?

Good Luck