Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Antibiotics advice - docs/pharmacists?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2005, 08:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antibiotics advice - docs/pharmacists?

Think there may have been a mistake in what has been prescribed my 20 month old daughter.

Spot on her face gradually got bigger & over the counter treatments didnt work. Took her to doc:

Visit 1: Prescribed Fusicillin orally & Fusidin H [hydrcortisone steroid] topically. Cleared up, but didnt get rid of it.

Visit 1 + 5: Prescribed Fusidin [Fusic Acid?] topicall Antibiotic vaguely at my request to minimise further oral antibiotics; made it worse, allergic?

Visit 1 + 8: Prescribed Erythroped 6 day course oral antibiotic. Didnt really work.

Visit 1 + 14: Prescribed MORE Erythroped and a topical Bactroban [mupirocin] - an antibiotic? [well it ends in ...'cin'!!]. Doc thought it potentially Impetigo[sp?].

It was a different doc who didnt have the previous notes and I didnt take her myself so I'm really unsure about ANOTHER 7 day course of Erythromycin that didnt work. She needs a solution as it is spreading to the other cheek and the down below cheekies too now...

This is my future world rally championess, so forgive my concern at too many antibiotics that dont work? Anyone any idea?

Cheers

D
Old 05 July 2005, 09:03 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

This "spot", did it start as a small blister that eventually burst and scabbed over? Spreads outwards with skin blistering around the edge and crusty scab? Possibly itchy? If so then I'd agree with empetigo. Been there, done that!

Erythromycin is classically prescribed for this (active ingredient in your Erythroped), it should have had an impact well within 14 days I'd have thought though. Is it having no effect? Has the doctor mentioned taking a swab for culture?

If it is empetigo the bacteria that causes it is usually very contagious, so I'd suggest you make sure she washes hands ans face meticulously, and change her pillow case, towels etc regularly, which should at least reduce the potential of it spreading.

(p.s. not a medical doctor, so standard scoobynet disclaimers apply!)
Old 05 July 2005, 09:05 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

shingles prehaps??

M
Old 05 July 2005, 09:49 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ajm describes it perfectly...

That erythromycin has had VERY little effect, but she does scratch it... May be a valid prescription then? I will check by phone tomorr though to make sure. What's your surgery No AJM

D
Old 05 July 2005, 10:45 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an unreasonable collection of stuff for staphylococcal skin infection. Maybe a swab would be a good idea if there is anything remotely sticky to sample.
Old 05 July 2005, 10:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I bet she isnt too much of a happy bunny right now..

this explains impetigo a bit more.. HTH
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti.../impetigo.html

I hope it clears up soon..

LG

Last edited by little-ginge; 05 July 2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06 July 2005, 07:31 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps - sounds very much like Group A streptococcus infection from the info. Well, she'll just have to get her rally helmet on a bit earlier than anticipated!!!