Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

English Cricket Advert...

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2005, 10:08 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry English Cricket Advert...

What on earth is all that about? Are we supposed to be roused from our seats in a crescendo of support for what is possibly one of the dullest spectator sports known to man?

In addition, calling the Australians 'failures', suggesting that they cry and prematurely claiming victory is hardly the conduct one would associate with the humble, sportsmanlike behaviour typical of the English (with the exception of anything to do with football regrettably)..... it's just not cricket!

Old 01 July 2005, 10:24 AM
Kaiser Soze
Scooby Regular

LMAO i was thinking the same thing the other night
Old 01 July 2005, 11:39 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I hate cricket, but I saw a 20/20 game the other day. 4's and 6's all over the place.

Kept me amused for atleast half hour!
Old 01 July 2005, 11:41 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Put it this way, I'd rather sit and watch a good game of cricket than watch 22 overpaid tarts kicking a piece of leather round a football pitch.
Cheers
Colin
Old 01 July 2005, 12:03 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

I am obviously a cricket fan so bias but.....

Cricket is a great game and one that needs understanding to appreciate fully. I agree on first sight it is not the most sparkling of visual treats. However seeing a bowler launch a fast ball towards a batsman at around 90mph or watching the game of cat and mouse as a spinner works there magic is priceless. The thought and energy require to perform well in the game is fantastic. A friend of mine describes the tactics as like a 3D game of chess.

I don't see what is wrong with a bit of confidence in our team, yep branding the opponants as loosers is a bit strong. The English team has some good characters in the side who deserve our support on the international stage. I think football takes up too much space in peoples heads think wider and you will enjoy yourself!!!! We have a great chance of winning the Ashes and I am looking forward to a great summer of sport.

SUPPORT ENGLISH CRICKET!!!!

Dan
Old 01 July 2005, 12:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
What on earth is all that about? Are we supposed to be roused from our seats in a crescendo of support for what is possibly one of the dullest spectator sports known to man?

With ajm on that.
Old 01 July 2005, 12:19 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silverscoobydan
I am obviously a cricket fan so bias but.....

<snip>

SUPPORT ENGLISH CRICKET!!!!
I'm not having a pop at cricket per se, and it's great you enjoy it... however I think you really need to be careful about the sort of "support" you wish to attract to the game.

Using unsportsmanly advertising like that is obviously designed to appeal to the average oik, possibly hoping to poach a share of the football crowd. Although I find cricket interminably dull, I think it would be a shame if it went the same way as football, as cricket has always stood for good honest sportsmanship!

You want people supporting and attending matches because they like cricket, not because the want to get lagered up and chant "failures" at the opposition!
Old 01 July 2005, 12:32 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
I'm not having a pop at cricket per se, and it's great you enjoy it... however I think you really need to be careful about the sort of "support" you wish to attract to the game.
Sledging has been in the game for some time now so it's inevitable that this transfers off the field and whilst the Ashes looks as if it could be close I don't think the English should be overly confident at this stage as this leads to arrogance which only the Aussies can pull off and win at the same time.
Old 01 July 2005, 12:36 PM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

Yep I can see your point. I stopped going to football matches due to the pi**ed up and occasionally dangerous crowd.
The spirit at a cricket match is much better but there have been changes and not necessarily for the better.

The fist impression of the sport is not good (hence the introduction of 20/20 cricket and team colours) but the sport needs supporters and their money to continue, yep it MUST be done in the right way. I think how Rugby has coped with professionalisation a good role model.

I am a keen cricket fan and occasionally it fustrates me how the nation can get behind "22 overpaid tarts" (previous thread) and dismiss the England Cricket Team who have a good chance of winning against the best in the world.

As agreed earlier branding the Aussies as loosers is a bit strong and may appeal to the "wrong crowd". I was just hoping some fellow scoobynetters would get behind the team with me.

Dan
Old 01 July 2005, 12:42 PM
imi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Put it this way, I'd rather sit and watch a good game of cricket than watch 22 overpaid tarts kicking a piece of leather round a football pitch.
Cheers
Colin
tha should be, 22 overpaid Designer Untalented Chavtastic tarts
Old 01 July 2005, 01:22 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

IMHO 20/20 has a big future in the development of intrest in cricket. Its a good lengh of time to watch its exciting with the players maximising their run rate and i think the added features such as the commentators being able to speak to the captain add to the experience a bit more. I also feel tho that the ODI day/night games like England Aus the other day (even tho it was rained off!) are getting closer to the mark.
Old 01 July 2005, 01:22 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

It's all better than that tripe passed off as sport they call rugby.
Old 01 July 2005, 01:24 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by imi
tha should be, 22 overpaid Designer Untalented Chavtastic tarts
Old 27 July 2005, 02:36 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Haven't seen the advert since our 239 run loss.... funny that...
Old 27 July 2005, 02:38 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

its a boring advert the old cricketer coming back from the dead, its sad coz the english get buried back in by the aussies so whats the fecking point
Old 27 July 2005, 02:51 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cricket is a fantastic spectator sport.
Its fantastic as it doesnt demand constant attention. You can chat with your friends for a few overs, drink a few cans for a few overs, go to the toilet for a few overs, grab a bit of food for a few overs and not miss anything much.
Its not often you can spend all day watching a sport which if played at a more frentic pace would be over in a few hours.
Its not about 60000 slashed up morons chanting En-Ger-Lund! over and over again, for 90 minutes, its the sporting equivilant spending a chilled day on the river with your friends and long may it continue.
astraboy.
Old 27 July 2005, 02:57 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by astraboy
Cricket is a fantastic spectator sport.
Its fantastic as it doesnt demand constant attention. You can chat with your friends for a few overs, drink a few cans for a few overs, go to the toilet for a few overs, grab a bit of food for a few overs and not miss anything much.
Its not often you can spend all day watching a sport which if played at a more frentic pace would be over in a few hours.
Its not about 60000 slashed up morons chanting En-Ger-Lund! over and over again, for 90 minutes, its the sporting equivilant spending a chilled day on the river with your friends and long may it continue.
astraboy.
cricket aint good till u watch a one day cricket match between india and pakistan

its awesome
Old 27 July 2005, 03:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thing is, football is an exciting sport. forget who the supporters are. why should it bother you if half the supporters are pi55ed? or half of them are the type of people you would avoid? There are plenty of families who attend football matches every saturday (well when the season starts eventually) Just because football is passionate and can get emotions flowing doesnt mean everybody singing in the ground are pi55ed up ar5eholes....

Cricket? great if you enjoy it, personally I dont see the attraction, it goes on for ages and does not keep me interested. its just too boring to watch, even playing it is boring. Stood about doing jack unless your the batter or Bowler. There isnt another sport on the planet that gets emotions flowing like football. call it all you like but its the truth..

the english game itself has been destroyed to some extent via money. but its still a superb sport that many people enjoy week in week out, those that slag it off only see the premiersh!te football. Lower leagues are where the roots are where there is a much more enjoyable feel to the game....
Old 27 July 2005, 03:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I enjoy watching a good game of cricket as much as I used to enjoy playing it. Certainly am not impressed with unpleasant and rude pronouncements though,l just not necessary and proves nothing.

Just get on with it and we will judge by the actual result.

Les
Old 27 July 2005, 03:08 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
I enjoy watching a good game of cricket as much as I used to enjoy playing it. Certainly am not impressed with unpleasant and rude pronouncements though,l just not necessary and proves nothing.

Just get on with it and we will judge by the actual result.

Les

leslie good thing about cricket is u can **** while watching it and u wont miss anything exciting happening unlike celtic and rangers match , their so grippy
Old 27 July 2005, 03:12 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I'm with astraboy on this, I've been to the Oval to watch a day of an England test match, every year for the past 5 years. Except I won't be going this year because they dropped the members ticket allowance

Its a good day out with good company, a constant stream of packed lunch goodies, a bottle of wine here, a few tinnies there - a great atmosphere that slowly gets sozzled, especially after tea
Old 27 July 2005, 03:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ha ha Moses, its all a matter of priorities at the time!

Les
Old 27 July 2005, 04:16 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I'm with astraboy on this, I've been to the Oval to watch a day of an England test match, every year for the past 5 years. Except I won't be going this year because they dropped the members ticket allowance

Its a good day out with good company, a constant stream of packed lunch goodies, a bottle of wine here, a few tinnies there - a great atmosphere that slowly gets sozzled, especially after tea
Agreed, you lot who say it's a boring sport to watch should get yourself along to a game with a good bunch of mates, plenty beer / wine (or both ) and food. Okay at the end of the day I'm usually plastered and couldn't tell you much about what happend on the field, but it is a great social occasion.

I have also been to the Oval on the Saturday for the last 5 years or so, it's sort of an annual reuion with my Uni friends. We couldn't get tickets this year either
Old 27 July 2005, 04:18 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Incidentally, this wasn't really meant to be a debate about whether cricket is interesting or not, that is subjective. What I was calling into question was the unsportsmanlike advertising campaign which, in light of the last result, has left us looking rather foolish!
Old 27 July 2005, 04:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite right!

Les
Old 27 July 2005, 05:35 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davegtt
Thing is, football is an exciting sport.

Only in comparison with cricket. To see a PROPER exciting sport, watch Australian Rules Football. Failing that, Gaelic Football or rugby. But soccer is a girl's game.

M
Old 27 July 2005, 05:38 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
Ha ha Moses, its all a matter of priorities at the time!

Les

lol see the days im too senstive and about to shoot, the cricket match helps me last that bit longer
Old 27 July 2005, 06:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Only in comparison with cricket. To see a PROPER exciting sport, watch Australian Rules Football.
I agree, The only rule I seem to be able to follow is "If a player is within 5 metres of the ball you can maim him without conceding a penalty"

astraboy.
Old 31 July 2005, 11:22 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I see the advert is now claiming the first result was 'a fluke'!!!

How embarrassing.