Urgent Estate Agent type legal help required please

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2005, 01:24 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Urgent Estate Agent type legal help required please

Hi Guys,

Basically what is the law regarding Estate Agents publishing house details on rightmove and paper etc for details that haven't been signed off yet? My understanding is obviously that they aren't allowed to, or shouldn't, but don't know the law.

Long story short,

Agents came round and measured up etc. Took some rough (and I mean rough) photos to demonstrate that it would be hard to take some photos of the smaller rooms. They then came back last Friday to take some better photos.

Yesterday got the draft set of the details in the post for approval but I haven't approved them as they're using the first 'rough' set of photos and not even the slightly newer ones, which are also expected to be poor as they didn't bring the correct lens with them they said they were going to.

Today these same details have appeared on Rightmove and in a conversation with the branch manager this morning my wife was told that they have also given out the same details to people coming into the branch.

We're both furious. Nothing has been signed off, it's all pi$$ poor and if I saw the details they wouldn't just not get my interest, they'd actually put me off. The photos are awful, as there's washing up and stuff all over the place. It was a test photo!

Obviously won't name and shame but have told them I'm coming down to their office later today and if it's not resolved to our satisfaction I shall be (quote) "Reaquainting them personally with their own 'for sale' board".

So what's the law on these details that haven't been signed off?

TIA

Simon.

Last edited by SD; 27 July 2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 27 July 2005, 03:08 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SD
Hi Guys,

Basically what is the law regarding Estate Agents publishing house details on rightmove and paper etc for details that haven't been signed off yet? My understanding is obviously that they aren't allowed to, or shouldn't, but don't know the law.

Long story short,

Agents came round and measured up etc. Took some rough (and I mean rough) photos to demonstrate that it would be hard to take some photos of the smaller rooms. They then came back last Friday to take some better photos.

Yesterday got the draft set of the details in the post for approval but I haven't approved them as they're using the first 'rough' set of photos and not even the slightly newer ones, which are also expected to be poor as they didn't bring the correct lens with them they said they were going to.

Today these same details have appeared on Rightmove and in a conversation with the branch manager this morning my wife was told that they have also given out the same details to people coming into the branch.

We're both furious. Nothing has been signed off, it's all pi$$ poor and if I saw the details they wouldn't just not get my interest, they'd actually put me off. The photos are awful, as there's washing up and stuff all over the place. It was a test photo!

Obviously won't name and shame but have told them I'm coming down to their office later today and if it's not resolved to our satisfaction I shall be (quote) "Reaquainting them personally with their own 'for sale' board".

So what's the law on these details that haven't been signed off?

TIA

Simon.
There isn't really a law that has been boken here or anything like that - just an unprofessional estate agent.

You do need to sign property details off but there is probably an agents note on the details somewhere saying "these details are in draft from and have yet been approved by the vendor". Once you have approved them they would then take that statement off.

I know you must be pretty narked off but bare in mind that most people don't want a delay in marketing they just want the house sold asap. Your estate agent is at least being pro-active in marketing the property quickly.

Are the photos on rightmove only? What about the agents own website?

Basically most estate agents these days use very similar software packages to upload property details to the net. My guess on what has happened is they have put the photos on there computer system to draft up particulars then their property uploader (homesonview or similar) has picked up the information and sent it to rightmove (this is automatic unless you manually stop the software doing it). Rightmove takes 3 - 4 days to update thus why your details have just appeared.

It is a very simple human error rather than a big conspiracy, have a word they should beable to update their own website VERY quickly with new photos.

Maybe ask for a 1/4 point reduction in their commision, a lot would just to keep you happy

HTH

Chop " the property expert "
Old 27 July 2005, 03:44 PM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you got the best of a bad bunch.

Old 27 July 2005, 05:33 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Had a massive moan at them and threatened to pull the plug on their contract. Looking when I got home today at the covering letter sent with the details for approval it says on there "under current legislation we are unable to upload details to the internet or display marketing information until the certificate (enclosed) has been signed and returned". So by their own definitions there is some legislation that covers this that's been broken.

I don't want it just rushed onto the market as the most success is likely to be from the big push when details are first sent out to registered clients. If I had these sent these to me as a buyer I'd actually be put off which kills a lot of interest stone dead regardless of whether or not they subsequently get sent revised details.

It's unprofessional and they claim to be the best in the area, biggest market share etc. Just a lot of egos really and I think we've decided to pull the plug despite the fact it's now been removed from rightmove and their own website. My concern is the damage that's been done in the interim (it looks like it was up for at least 2 days, maybe more). If they get funny about the contract I'll just point them to the legislation that's got broken and ask them how big a fine they'll be hit with Oh, and the agent drives a TT.

Estate Agents eh? Always keen to live up to the stereotype.

Simon.
Old 31 July 2005, 11:49 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Agents took '2 wall' pics of my place as they didnt understand the concept of a wide angle lens. I was horrified and re-did pics myself showing best angles, decent lighting and at least 3 walls.

Ubelievable really as the pic is highly inportant to gaining initiall interest...and you need to make the rooms look as big as you can