Brunstrom strikes again - Police targets

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2005, 03:25 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brunstrom strikes again - Police targets

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4626647.stm

Is there no end to what he'll come up with !!! Even the Police Federation think its ludicrous.

Last edited by GarethE; 27 June 2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 27 June 2005, 03:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Joy - so what happens if the officers don't meet the targets? No point having them if you don't take action when they are not met.

So you are going to have plod out and about with the option to arrest people to get his target up or possibly face a disciplinary (although I think a tribunal would have something to say about it).

Arrest rate goes through the roof, hopefully followed by an equal number of cases brought for wrongful arrest.

Fecking idiot, you can't predict how much crime will be about in the forthcoming month.
Old 27 June 2005, 03:41 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I understand the Thames brought the same scheme in there a few months ago - anyone know what's happened there?

It says in the copy that the targets should be easily achieveable, in which case whats the point?
Old 27 June 2005, 03:52 PM
New_scooby_04

This is just plain wrong!!

NS04
Old 27 June 2005, 05:31 PM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

only thing happens is you 'pitch' up where you know you can catch loads of speeders.....not necessarily where would be the best place to reduce road casualties.

To 'deal' with a drunk driver takes about 5 hours including paperwork..... but a speeder...... 15mins per ticket!

I know which one i'd rather the police catch.
Old 27 June 2005, 05:35 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

"easily achievable" targets.....

So what is the point in having them then.....

Total crap
Old 27 June 2005, 05:55 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

i've got a plan - i live about two minutes down the road from brunstrom's evil lair (north wales police hq) so i'm going to drive back and forth past it one night until i see him coming out (silver e-class estate iirc).

now (and this is the good bit), when he gets to the give way, i'm going to flash him as if to let him out, then i'm going to ram him at precisely 30mph.

if i'm not very much mistook then it will be his fault as flashing is only to say "i'm here" and shouldn't be used as an invitation.

opinions?

Trending Topics

Old 27 June 2005, 06:01 PM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
i've got a plan - i live about two minutes down the road from brunstrom's evil lair (north wales police hq) so i'm going to drive back and forth past it one night until i see him coming out (silver e-class estate iirc).

now (and this is the good bit), when he gets to the give way, i'm going to flash him as if to let him out, then i'm going to ram him at precisely 30mph.

if i'm not very much mistook then it will be his fault as flashing is only to say "i'm here" and shouldn't be used as an invitation.

opinions?
Just get Nick Freeman to defend you....he gets everyone off......10K a day though!
Old 27 June 2005, 06:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

That bloke doesn't half half have some barmy ideas and opinions. I'm glad he's now seen sense with teh speed cameras...pity about everythinbg else.

In fairness, the points system "could" work. But it would be impossible to devise a fair system, and the resources used for "bonuses" could be put to better use IMO.

For example of how it could work: 1 point for a speeder, 500 points for catching and sucessful jailing of a car thief and recovering a stolen car. Current police priorites are the other way round - hard on petty crime, soft on real crime. The points sysetm, if used correctly could reverse this
Old 27 June 2005, 06:32 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Old news i'm afraid! Most forces do this in one way or another, usually its called the GRIP process (means something, they usually do!) and sets targets for officers to attain through dedication and hard work!?!? When they first came in we were told it was done by division and not individually but at the second GRIP meeting officers were singled out for good/bad scores. Useless and very demoralising. All it does is give supervision bits of paper to wave around at meetings showing how hard they can push their troops! We're now seeing experienced officers leaving as they realise they can get more money elsewhere for a lot less stress and inexperienced officers being pushed to breaking point after 10 weeks in the job.

Wrong.
Old 27 June 2005, 06:50 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Old news i'm afraid! Most forces do this in one way or another, usually its called the GRIP process (means something, they usually do!) and sets targets for officers to attain through dedication and hard work!?!? When they first came in we were told it was done by division and not individually but at the second GRIP meeting officers were singled out for good/bad scores. Useless and very demoralising. All it does is give supervision bits of paper to wave around at meetings showing how hard they can push their troops! We're now seeing experienced officers leaving as they realise they can get more money elsewhere for a lot less stress and inexperienced officers being pushed to breaking point after 10 weeks in the job.

Wrong.
That makes it even worse...if it's a system that fails from the point of the police as a result of it being tried, then why instigate it. If it was band new idea, then I can understand it being tried over a trial period.

The figure has probably been set at an easily obtainable level so that when all the officers are exceeding it, and some probably by a fair margin, Brunstrom can point to how successful his policies are
Old 27 June 2005, 08:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Oh dear the provisional wing of Nl are stirring...

shame so many of you didnt wake up and smell the roses whilst you had a chance...

UKSR is comming and that numpty at number 10 will do it if left to his own devices..

m
Old 27 June 2005, 08:52 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's a good thing - if the police officers have a taget of 200 points, and they catch 5 speeders a day at 5 points each, that means in 8 days the target is met and for the remaining 22/23 days of the month they'll be able to concentrate on catching the real criminals...

Just a thought
Old 27 June 2005, 08:54 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SWRTWannabe
Maybe it's a good thing - if the police officers have a taget of 200 points, and they catch 5 speeders a day at 5 points each, that means in 8 days the target is met and for the remaining 22/23 days of the month they'll be able to concentrate on catching the real criminals...

Just a thought
Good point. Don't speed in North Wales for the first week of the month and let rip for the final three
Old 28 June 2005, 07:51 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Brunstrom really is a total *****.
This type of behaviour really does help to alienate the police service from the general populace. Quite counter-productive in the longer-term.

Suresh