Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Leatherman / Gerber multi-tools

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 12:30 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherman / Gerber multi-tools

Anyone know anything about them, or others? Chances are I'll be making a purchase this afternoon but after a bit more background from people who may have used them.

After general information, like what you have, how much use / abuse its taken, any problems with them, would you recommend them etc?

Was looking at the Leatherman Charge for £115 but can get 20% off that today which makes it £92.. or do I take a chance and get one from ebay for about £65 delivered from the States? Are these still guaranteed in case of any problems?

Anyone help?

Cheers.

Old 23 June 2005, 12:38 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

I use a Gerber ... had a Leatherman, but IMHO the Gerber is better tool. Depends on which model you are looking at, and the Leatherman tends to be better equiped for the money....but I changed to the Gerber - better quality, easier to use and feels better...
Old 23 June 2005, 12:38 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

im sure youll get a million replies to this but ill give you my advice anyway...ive had both and currently use a leatherman wave which i would highly recommend...i managed to get mine from a US px for $60 (approx £40 at the time) and they retail in the UK for £100...!!! if you know anyone in the forces on ops, they might be able to pick you one up, or order it direct from the states (not sure about p&p or availability)...the gerber range is extensive, but for size, reliability and ease of use, i prefer the leatherman...

one word of warning...other companies do produce multi-tools such as victorinox, but avoid like the plague the 5.99 pieces of crap you can pick up in wilkos or from the garage with 10 litres of fuel, etc...they might be okay for around the house, but any serious use and it will fail, ive seen it happen...!!! you gets what you pay for...!

hope this helps your decision...
Old 23 June 2005, 12:42 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Mine was £1 off the market and came with a free pen-knife too. Still working after approx 10 years
Old 23 June 2005, 12:48 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've seen and heard about the cheap ones.. they feel 'light', cheap and nasty and I know someone who has broken a couple of them..

I do want a good quality one, because I am a kayaker when not in the scooby and therefore can end up doing rescues and boat repairs at the side of a river miles from anywhere, and spend a fair amount of time camping and mountain biking.. apart from that, they are always handy pieces of kit..

Old 23 June 2005, 12:55 PM
ChrisB

I've had a Leatherman PST II for ages (must be a least five years). It goes everywhere with me (work, walking, MTBing etc) and gets used probably everyday for something. The knife blade could do with cleaning and sharpening (I think you can return them to the UK importer for a 'service') but it's taken plenty of abuse with no faults.

Very highly recommended
Old 23 June 2005, 12:56 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

a good compromise would be a mid range multi-tool and a gerber gator knife
Old 23 June 2005, 01:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Had both, leatherman is no more, gerber still going strong. I don't like the way the leatherman folds out so all the tools and edges cut in to your hand when using the pliers (unless they have moved over to the Gerber design).
Old 23 June 2005, 01:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

have got a victorianox (aka swiss army) multi tool myself, cost me about £50 (was down from £90) bang on, use it alot when i have it with me.

given it plenty of hammer over time (even used it as a hammer lol), has locking tools, 2 blades and all the usall gubbings, use it at home and and work with no problems.

brihoppy, mines been great not had any problems with it dude, which one did you have and what was up with it?
Old 23 June 2005, 01:22 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

You can get a leatherman wave 2004 for 35.99 + shipping on ebay as a 'Buy it now item' from the states. The company guarantee no import duty or taxes and mine only took 3 days to come.

Oh and you get a free Maglite torch and pouch for both.
Old 23 June 2005, 01:25 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Lightning, did you still get the 25 year guarantee though? Who did you buy from, got a link?

Old 23 June 2005, 01:32 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 555-Shaggy
Lightning, did you still get the 25 year guarantee though? Who did you buy from, got a link?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...208942006&rd=1

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...209401350&rd=1
Old 23 June 2005, 01:47 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lightning, I'll be taking a look

Old 23 June 2005, 01:53 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Second the idea of buying new items on ebay. My Leatherman Wave cost about £55-£60 from a company that sold bucketloads of the things (UK, this was - not an import) and although it seemed expensive at the time it's one of those tools you wonder how you ever did without. For absolutely every job around the house, it comes in handy as some point or other!

I found the Gerbers that were available at the time a bit larger and OTT design for my requirements and taste (perhaps they are built a bit more 'chunky'), though they are certainly a fantastic alternative and I think it's really just down to personal taste.

Joolz
Old 23 June 2005, 02:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I used to have a leatherman wave and loved it. it went a bit tight after a few years, so I sent it to Leatherman. they serviced it and sent it back, no charge.

if I had to fault it the only thing I could comment on is that i occassionally pinched the skin of my index finger when the pliers close, and **** does that hurt (and bleed more often than not). otherwise I'm well impressed.

unfortunately beloved leatherman was in the car when it got stolen so I bought the gerber legend of a mate. the gerber is nice as the pliers are spring loaded.

I also have the leatherman charge ti, which is excellent. if I had to make a choice it would be leatherman over gerber. both are great, but the leatherman customer service is ace. having said that, gerber might be ace too, but I haven't tried them
Old 23 June 2005, 02:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
I used to have a leatherman wave and loved it. it went a bit tight after a few years, so I sent it to Leatherman. they serviced it and sent it back, no charge.

if I had to fault it the only thing I could comment on is that i occassionally pinched the skin of my index finger when the pliers close, and **** does that hurt (and bleed more often than not). otherwise I'm well impressed.

unfortunately beloved leatherman was in the car when it got stolen so I bought the gerber legend of a mate. the gerber is nice as the pliers are spring loaded.

I also have the leatherman charge ti, which is excellent. if I had to make a choice it would be leatherman over gerber. both are great, but the leatherman customer service is ace. having said that, gerber might be ace too, but I haven't tried them
May I suggest that because you have not needed the gerber customer support that may be because it is the better tool?
Old 23 June 2005, 03:09 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Cool thanks for your help so far guys keep 'em coming before I spend.

I think I'm decided I'm going shopping tonight, to get my paws on a Leatherman Wave and a Charge, have play and decide which I like most, but will however be leaving the shop empty handed, unless they do something special and come close to ebay prices.. which I doubt (not after a match, just close to ebay including P&P. The charge is £55 plus a tenner P&P from USA not bad for a £115 tool is it? But if I can get the shop to £70 or poss £80, I'll get one tonight.

Old 23 June 2005, 05:21 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've got a Leatherman Charge ti and it's awesome, can cut myself just by looking at it!
Old 23 June 2005, 10:17 PM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Ive had a Pst II for 7 years needs sharpening but otherwise still going strong gets used throughout the day. My Dad has an american army issue Pst II which he traded an american for during the first gulf war, its a little tight but still going well. My Gerber didnt last a year and was far to bulky to wear for work (where it was needed).
Old 24 June 2005, 01:18 AM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
have got a victorianox (aka swiss army) multi tool myself, cost me about £50 (was down from £90) bang on, use it alot when i have it with me.

given it plenty of hammer over time (even used it as a hammer lol), has locking tools, 2 blades and all the usall gubbings, use it at home and and work with no problems.

brihoppy, mines been great not had any problems with it dude, which one did you have and what was up with it?
not saying theres necessarily anything wrong with the victorinox...read the post again mate...
Old 24 June 2005, 08:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Mine was 3 quid from a petrol station, does the job ( lets face its a poor comromise for the proper tool). And i could easily get a 'leatherman' being in the trade.
Old 24 June 2005, 01:10 PM
555-Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Right, just ordered me a Charge Ti from Canada, for the bargain price of £55 just need to wait a few days for it now