Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fed up with Geldof already

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 11:01 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fed up with Geldof already

Whinge, whinge, whinge...FFS man, just shut up. We don't need you bleating on at us all the time. It might have worked first time around but we've moved on and don't need to listen to your rantings.

I would gladly give money to ease world poverty but I won't give anything to Live 8, I'll take the money I was going to give and offer it to an other good cause instead.

The man is a turn-off.
Old 19 June 2005, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Still no answer how to get past the corrupt African politicians so that the aid can get to where it is needed.

Les
Old 19 June 2005, 12:15 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Exactly Les. I for one will NOT be donating to this fund. There are too, too many probables. Remove the dictators like Mugabe et al, THEN we can do some serious helping. Until then, I believe charity begins at home: that is.... on English soil.
Yve
Old 19 June 2005, 12:17 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

PS. Just an observation but don't you think there's a very scarey atmosphere of mass hysteria surrounding this whole Live8 thing?
Old 19 June 2005, 12:20 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Talking

no.
Old 19 June 2005, 03:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Leslie
Still no answer how to get past the corrupt African politicians so that the aid can get to where it is needed.

Les

Sadly no and there is little that can be done. The people that need it most are unlikely to get it and the corrupt will get rich selling it to people who can afford it or swap it for guns to fight another war against x or y.

Fecking shame i do not know how people can let their people starve and sell the food, etc they need to others for the most money. This sucks!

I do not rate Geldoff but i hope whatever he does does some good and helps in some way. For that i wish him luck.
Old 19 June 2005, 04:01 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

simple, he needs to organise Coup Aid.
Old 19 June 2005, 05:14 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've been sick of this twanny for 20 years. I'm glad he isn't getting the same level of press attention here.
Old 19 June 2005, 06:18 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Being only 11 when the first one was done I dont remember public opinion that much - But I am pleased with how many folk are sick of BG and sick of his futile mega band PR excercises...
I too see this gig as a pointless token, until specific governments have been ousted...
I watched the BBC2 programme last night which showed even 20 years ago the man was a self opinionated ego inflated ar$e - pity Midge Ure didnt chin him when he got stitched up and didnt get to play in front of lady di due to BG changing the play order so the Boomtown Rats could instead...
P155 off Bob I dont like you....
Old 19 June 2005, 06:20 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i honestly dont believe in charity,it shouldn't be ordinary people haveing to fork out our hard earned money especially how this country rapes us! i have enough trouble just looking after me and my family let alone someone else.......its ok if you have millions and have a celebrity lifestyle like geldof then you can say and do as you wish!

as if he didn't think people would sell live 8 tickets!

how is actually putting the money up to organise the events,stages etc?
Old 19 June 2005, 06:33 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

The poor mugs who are buying the tickets.
Old 19 June 2005, 06:40 PM
Naomi_WRX
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=435309

<thanks to paul for showing me copy and paste>
Old 19 June 2005, 07:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I guess Geldof could get all the African leaders together and give them a 3 hour Boomtown Rats concert - that should start them thinking..........
Old 19 June 2005, 07:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
The answer is for G8 to stop the banks transferring dirty money into offshore accounts. Make this internationally enforceable and when a bank is found out e.g. moving $20 million to President Injinca's Swiss account then stamp on the bank really hard. Seize the money, make the bank pay back 3 times the amount to the country it belongs to and jail the Chairman and CEO. If the bank does it again close it. Yeah tough but it would only take a couple of cases for the banks to realise that there was a new no nonsense regime in place. The reality is the banks are responsible for tens of thousands of lives and misery for millions.

The irony is you probably need some thick skinned bully like Geldof to start things off. Pity he's got it so wrong this time around. DL
Old 19 June 2005, 07:30 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

since secondary school when i was put into detention because i wouldnt go around knocking peoples doors asking to be sponsored for charity. i've had a bitterness towards charity work lololol

BG has done this to line his own pockets, expect new album etc to come out soon. they all do it when the cash starts running low!

when i go to buy the paper in the morning their is a charty box appealing for me to give money
when i go out for lunch in town i get stopped on the street asking to donate money
when i turn on the tv i'm asked to donate money
same goes for when i turn on the radio or go on the internet(damn u AOL)
how about NO! if it wasnt shoved down my throat every 5 seconds i might not mind giving a few quid every now and again!
Old 19 June 2005, 07:45 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
since secondary school when i was put into detention because i wouldnt go around knocking peoples doors asking to be sponsored for charity. i've had a bitterness towards charity work lololol

BG has done this to line his own pockets, expect new album etc to come out soon. they all do it when the cash starts running low!

when i go to buy the paper in the morning their is a charty box appealing for me to give money
when i go out for lunch in town i get stopped on the street asking to donate money
when i turn on the tv i'm asked to donate money
same goes for when i turn on the radio or go on the internet(damn u AOL)
how about NO! if it wasnt shoved down my throat every 5 seconds i might not mind giving a few quid every now and again!
blimey,
if this is your attitude to live 8 then ( and judging by some of you other guys)
I think the message has FAILED.

Its not about charity and donations guys, its about awareness.
yes geldof is irritating , but he's started a debate that is vital.

My main criticism is that too much media time has been spent on the debt issue, and Geldof should be openly attacking certain African govts,
and debt relief should be aggressively linked with govt behaviour (which is the plan)

no one is asking you to give money, they want your support in putting pressure on our govts to do what they can.

The other thing is that I reckon we should be proud that the impetus of this movement is coming from Britain. Not the US, France, Germany, Russia, Australia, but Britain.
Old 19 June 2005, 07:48 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

na they really do just want ur money
Old 20 June 2005, 06:41 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

i think most people in the UK and abroad are well aware of the **** that Bob Gandolf's on about !!! why should the debt be written off , mine aren't when i can't pay it !!!
if they can't pay , send in the repoman !
Old 20 June 2005, 01:18 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peterpeter
blimey,
if this is your attitude to live 8 then ( and judging by some of you other guys)
I think the message has FAILED.

Its not about charity and donations guys, its about awareness.
yes geldof is irritating , but he's started a debate that is vital.

My main criticism is that too much media time has been spent on the debt issue, and Geldof should be openly attacking certain African govts,
and debt relief should be aggressively linked with govt behaviour (which is the plan)

no one is asking you to give money, they want your support in putting pressure on our govts to do what they can.

The other thing is that I reckon we should be proud that the impetus of this movement is coming from Britain. Not the US, France, Germany, Russia, Australia, but Britain.
I understand where you're coming from but the trouble with Africa, is that no matter what is done it's always someone elses fault. Former colonial powers are blamed for exploiting the continent, then blamed for not lending enough money to bail them out and now we're being asked to write off the debt. You just have to read Mugabe's rants on the UK (which has basically done nothing there for twenty odd years) to see how easy and common it is for the blame game to be thrown and western economies.

Africa is rife with corruption and this is the area that needs to be tackled if these countries are to have any chance and given that the only economies that are relatively successful are RSA and possibly Egypt (and Mbeki is doing a good job of ruining RSA) I don't see too many bright spots on the horizon.

Stamp out corruption and things will improve - anything else is a waste of time and from a personal perspective, when Geldoff encourages people to cross the channel or hack into Ebay's mainframe he completely turns me off.
Old 20 June 2005, 01:24 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Haven't the G8 bunch agreed to wipe out the debt now anyway? Seems like they've pulled the carpet out from under Sir Bob's feet
Old 21 June 2005, 06:26 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

so it seem's , just because it's been written off i don't think it's going to do much even long term ? it's down to the people in power they don't give a **** and they want the money for themselves ,the country's rife with aid's etc , there's only so much you can do and then it's up to them to get on with it FFS , pity Sir Bobby can't help us car owner's with a bit of " Car Aid " with all these rip -off fine's and **** charge's we have to put with ! ,
Old 21 June 2005, 06:56 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe if that **** bob donated some of his tens of millions of £ to the cause people would have more respect for the jumped up ****