Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MoT and road tax catch 22..?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 02:26 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MoT and road tax catch 22..?

Hmmm, I've never had these 2 circumstances occur at once and hopefully I'll be okay but just in case...

My other car (an MR2 Turbo) is currently sat on my driveway with an overheating issue that I'm currently looking into. It's MoT expires on 23rd June and road-tax renewal is due for 1st July. I know, bummer eh.

As it stands I can't get my road-tax renewed now as the existing MoT isn't in force on the date of renewal. *IF* I'm unfortunate enough to not solve my car's issue and get it MoT'd in time, it'll end up with no MoT or tax. I can declare SORN but that's not my main issue.

I can't get tax without an MoT, yet how can I get an MoT done when I have no tax..? Is it strictly a case of getting a tow or having the car transported to an MoT station..? I know you can book appointments if an MoT has expired, but with no tax I guess it mustn't be on the road. Oh crikey, can it even be towed if it has no tax/MoT..?

I'm also not sure if this will give me an extra 2 weeks 'free' tax, as long as I *DO* tax the car eventually (taken from http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/unlicensed.htm);

"The law allows 14 days from the date the licence was due in which to relicense. SORN declarations are only required if the vehicle is going to be kept off road beyond this period. However, if the vehicle is used or kept on a public road it must display a valid tax disc."

The MR2 is/will be parked on my drive at the bottom of a cul-de-sac and if I did have to drive it without tax it would only be to get to a testing station.

Jonts.
Old 13 June 2005, 02:31 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

If the mot place isnt far, id just drive it there.
Old 13 June 2005, 02:37 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Check on www.5ive-o.com
Old 13 June 2005, 02:45 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

On our MOT booking forms it states that the car can only be used to travel to the MOT centre when you have no tax. This is Northern Ireland btw - but I would imagine you should have some equivalent clause
Old 13 June 2005, 02:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It is; you are allowed to drive to and from an MOT appointment and also to a place where remedial repair will take place.

Simon
Old 13 June 2005, 03:10 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can't you tax it two weeks before the end of your current Tax? If so then your current MOT would do as you could tax it on the 17th (or close to then).
Old 13 June 2005, 03:16 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

allowed to drive to a PRE BOOKED mot appointment or any repair work for the mot with no tax or mot.... thats it- and they can still prosecute you if they want to get the ****.
Old 13 June 2005, 03:23 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Aaah, so that explains why when you see those pikeys on Traffic Cops driving their non-taxed uninsured, bag-o-metal-****e with their entire family in the back, they always say they're on their way to get its MOT. I get it now!
Old 13 June 2005, 03:23 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
It is; you are allowed to drive to and from an MOT appointment and also to a place where remedial repair will take place.
Many thanks. I must admit, I didn't even think to check the details on the back of my existing MoT certificate. Oops! I'll have a look tonight and also post something up on Five-O for some added reassurance.

All, many thanks for the replies -- much appreciated.

'STi wanna subaru' -- you can tax a vehicle as soon as your paperwork arrives (about 2 weeks prior) but if the vehicle is subject to yearly testing then it must cover the date the new tax kicks in. As my existing MoT dies on 23rd June I can't use it to get road tax which will start on 1st July.

Cheers,

Jonts.
Old 13 June 2005, 03:49 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
Many thanks. I must admit, I didn't even think to check the details on the back of my existing MoT certificate. Oops! I'll have a look tonight and also post something up on Five-O for some added reassurance.

All, many thanks for the replies -- much appreciated.

'STi wanna subaru' -- you can tax a vehicle as soon as your paperwork arrives (about 2 weeks prior) but if the vehicle is subject to yearly testing then it must cover the date the new tax kicks in. As my existing MoT dies on 23rd June I can't use it to get road tax which will start on 1st July.

Cheers,

Jonts.
I didn't know that
Old 13 June 2005, 04:06 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I didn't know that
It's true -- you learn something new every day. Today I've also found out that if I hold my breath forrr 3 minsss and 20 shekonds that eye begggin to feeeelll diiiizzy and mite fain.........

Jonts.