Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Problem With Mountain Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2005, 09:26 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem With Mountain Bike

During the winter months the after market (aluminium) seat post seems to have corroded with the steel bike. Result ? The post will not move up or down at all

I've tried WD40 and a large hammer to free the post but it won't shift

Has anyone any suggestions ? (The WD40 has only been on about 48hrs - do I need to leave it longer

Thanks for the help
Old 09 June 2005, 09:45 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Do you have access to a vice secured to a bench?

If you were able to secure the seat post to the vice then the rest of the bike may give enough leverage...?

I don't seem to remember any specific tricks from when I worked in the bike trade apart from the above...
Old 09 June 2005, 10:33 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Plus-Gas is a much better dismantling lubricant than WD40, but frankly, I think you'll be lucky to get it out that way. However, you could also try removing the bottom-bracket and shooting some Plus-Gas in from the other side - no harm in trying.

If the vice suggestion doesn't work (and I would be surprised if it does - the static friction between the oxidised seat post and the steel frame will be huge), you will have no choice but to cut off the post at the top of the seat tube and ream it out with an expanding reamer. Not a cheap tool though!. You should be able to do this without damaging the frame, as the aluminium is so much softer than the steel.

Good luck - and maybe next time get some PTFE grease?
Old 09 June 2005, 11:45 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

To be honest something will give using the vice method. You'll exert enough torque to twist the seatpost out of shape if it doesn't free up.

Steel and aluminium are a terrible combination. It made me cringe watching them build that 'Aluminatub' aluminium roadster thing on American Hotrod. Aluminium chassis and body all shot together with steel bolts. The thing will never come apart again.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:03 AM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah the old ally seatpost/steel frame palaver I assume you've done it, but try taking out the seatpost bolt and prizing the seat tube apart. That might free it up slightly.

This seemed a fairly apt site though.....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Quote taken from the above:

Aluminum seatposts frequently become stuck by corrosion also, and penetrating oil is almost useless against aluminum oxide. Fortunately, aluminum oxide can be dissolved like magic by using ammonia.

If nothing else works to free up a steel or titanium seatpost, the next-to-last resort is to heat the seat tube up with a hair dryer or propane torch. This should be done with great care so as not to do too much damage to the paint. You should work as fast as you safely can, because you want to heat the seat tube so that it will expand, but if possible you should quickly put the torch down and start pulling on the saddle before the heat works its way through the seat tube and makes the seatpost expand too.

The torch technique is worse than useless when you are dealing with an aluminum seatpost stuck in a steel or titanium frame, because aluminum expands twice as much as steel, and 2 1/2 times as much as titanium for the same increase in temperature. In fact, the exact opposite technique will often do the trick for aluminum seatposts--cool the seatpost down as rapidly as possible. The contents of a CO2 tire inflation cartridge applied inside the seatpost can shrink it down just enough to do the trick.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:04 AM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

Yep most trade ideas seen so far otherwise, turn bike upside down and remove bottom bracket and pour in coke or bicarbonate of soda. Or write off post completely remove top of pos with saw and get a long hack saw blade and cut a 3rd of the post out along the length. The remaining 2 thirds should pull out with a set of molegrips.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:40 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

An equal mix of diesel and engine oil will make a very effective penetrating oil; itll do the job, but it smells bad!

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2005, 09:20 AM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

Could try a pipe freezing kit from a plumbers merchants to chill it down.
Old 10 June 2005, 10:48 AM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Unless it's a Thomson post, cut it off horizontally, then cut vertically down the bit inside the seatpost, and prise the bugger out.

If it's a Thomson, cut the frame to buts instead .......
Old 10 June 2005, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd try taking the bottom bracket out, pouring some ammonia down the inside of the seat tube, leave for an hour, then soak top part in ammonia, and try the vice trick, grip the seat post, turn the frame, but be careful not to distort the rear stays.

If all else fails, take it to a good bike shop.

And next time, use plenty of grease, copper eaze etc.

Alcazar