Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sat nav speed cam software website ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2005, 08:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sat nav speed cam software website ??

Dad has just been around tonight showing me his latest in car new toy !! - tom tom in car sat nav systmn, must admitt was very very impressed with both its simplicity off use and actual accuracy !!

seem to remember reading off a website where you could d/load maps showing uk speed cam locations ( fixed / spec / etc ) for adding to these sat nav systmns - any ideas ??

wonder just how good these free to d/load speed cam location maps are in comparsion to say the ones run my roadangel , snooper etc ?? obviously maybe not as updated as the monthly / yearly subscribed pay ones but surely still good and a worthwhile free addition your systmn, does the software actual contain audible alerts to warn you off cameras like the road angel does or is it just marked on the road map read out ??

if I thought that the sat nav with these free to d/load cam location maps were as good as road angel sytmns then surely everyone would be buying sat nav for the added navagation rather than just roadangels for just speedcam only alerts ??

slightly confused is one actualy better than the other ?? and as I say if anyone can point me in the right direction off the website than that would be great.

cheers,
john
Old 09 June 2005, 09:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk has a free camera database that gets updated fairly regularly.
Old 10 June 2005, 06:52 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that will check it out.
Anyone else use this software to detect speed cams etc on there tom tom sat nav ??

or comment on the differences between sat nav systmns and the likes of the road angel etc ??

cheers,
john
Old 10 June 2005, 08:17 AM
Rob D
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The software on PocketGPS is ok but it's not as good as my Road Angel.
Old 10 June 2005, 08:23 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

There's also some http://poiplace.oabsoftware.nl/ but I tend to stick with Pocketgps one - saved me a few points on a pre-scooby run down the A1.

TomTom and pda are the best value products I've ever purchased.
Old 10 June 2005, 08:45 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Tom Tom Go is fantastic, I have the speed camera download from PocketGPS on mine and I don't know how I managed without it but I still think the best option is to have a good detector along the lines of Road Angel running alongside it.

I also have all the Maccy D's downloaded onto mine too - quite useful if you get a bit peckish once in a while
Old 10 June 2005, 01:31 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

It's personal preference.
I went for the Origin B2 which is excellent and have since got a PDA and installed that as well. The PDA I use for sat nav, but have turned the fixed speed camera database off. I still use the PDA for mobile sites and red light camera's, which the B2 and Road Angel etc don't generally cover.

However the B2 database is updated several times a week and I update my unit normally once a week and before long trips. The B2 knows the direction and speed limit for each camera, so ignores cameras on the wrong side of the road, which the PDA doesn't. This cuts down on a lot of false alarms. The PDA generally doesn't know the speed limit although Fergie_UK on here, did produce some databases with limits included about 6 months ago. Otherwise I use the databases from pocketgpsworld as highlighted above.

If I was starting again I would buy the PDA first for sat nav and use the camera database as a guide. I would probably still but the B2, for it's better database, accuracy and intelligent alarms. The B2 and others generally include a laser detector, which can be useful, although the ability to respond in time is doubtful. These are scheduled to be made illegal though.

BTW with the B2 you can feed the GPS data out, so my PDA is fed from the B2.

Cheers
Nick

Trending Topics

Old 10 June 2005, 04:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I have a pda with tom tom software. For the life of me I cannot get the speed camera thing up on running on it. Its probably me as Im one step away from being totally clueless. Have tried the beginners guide on setting it up on the pocket gps site but i still cannot load it.

Is there a totally idiot proof way of loading and running the maps on my pda with non jargon language , ie instructions for a complete novice and ****-wit! (T-mobile mdaIII running tom tom software)
Old 10 June 2005, 04:27 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Tom Tom Go is fantastic, I have the speed camera download from PocketGPS on mine and I don't know how I managed without it but I still think the best option is to have a good detector along the lines of Road Angel running alongside it.

I also have all the Maccy D's downloaded onto mine too - quite useful if you get a bit peckish once in a while
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scoobychick - how could you!!! I should slap your wrists

Tomtom Go with the speed cameras tends to be reasonably good - the only disadvantage is that the cameras that are taken down don't tend to be deleted that quickly so if there have been some mobile camera sites or fixed in roadworks and then they are removed you still get warned for months afterwards...
Old 10 June 2005, 09:16 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, anyone else use the speed cam database with tom tom ??
Old 10 June 2005, 09:58 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

yep - it is crap in Belfast - (we only have three Gatso's) but my father was 'on the mainland' last week and says that it was accurate as far as he could tell.
Old 10 June 2005, 10:23 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

POI Warner from www.navigating.de is worth every penny, shouts at you when you get near the camera "Upcoming Danger Zone"