Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Tallinn, Estonia?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2005, 11:52 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Tallinn, Estonia?

Hi All

Off to Tallinn with some uni mates next week, anyone been have any suggestions on what we get up to? Need to get a guide book or something I spose. We're there Sun-Fri and I've read there's very little nightlife during the week - bad planning there

Secondly, where is cheapest to get currency, and do we need Kroon or Euros? HSBC seem to suggest Euros but also offer Kroon. They seem to be having a laugh with the rates though - everyone takes ~10% by giving a rubbish exchange rate. Presumably this is because of the lack of UK demand for Kroon..?

Ben
Old 06 June 2005, 01:18 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Any suggestions anyone? Particularly about the currency exchange. The best I've found is stiffing me for around 5% - is that to be expected?
Old 06 June 2005, 02:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

cant help mate, but let me know what its like coz im interested in going there myself. was meant to at the start of the year but never got round to it. flights are cheap as chips i think.
Old 06 June 2005, 02:46 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Went there about 8/9 years ago. Its a beautiful town, specially the old walled part. Can't help you with the currency question but I can say that you'll most likely have a great time. It will have come on in leaps and bounds since my visit. It was just at the begining of its resurrection when I went. I did a day trip over on the hydrofoil from Helsinki, in Finland.
Took a guided tour and can't forget the tour guide constantly apologising for the bad state of the buildings etc. But, as I say, starting with the various embassy buildings, there was a great resurgance begining back then.
Only thing I can warn you about, and I figure that this will still be the case, lots of beggars , mostly young blokes, begging and pestering you wherever you go. Trying to sell you stamps and postcards.
Tell us all about it when you get back ? Cheers
Yve
Old 06 June 2005, 03:08 PM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

went earlier this year and tbh was pretty disapointed having been to prague. as for currency just take euro's/sterling and change into kroons when u get to your hotel, the exchange rate was far better out there. do a search on google for nightlife, lots of stuff on there.

James
Old 06 June 2005, 04:01 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Prague is the place to be, we've just been on a stag do to Budapest and although we had a great time the place itself wasn't anything special.

Prague on the other hand is bloody excellent.
Old 06 June 2005, 04:51 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers everyone. Yep I'll let you know what we make of it when we get back. We did consider Prague but thought it was a bit obvious and were told Tallinn is the 'new Prague' for those that know... We'll see.

James, we're staying in an apartment but I've emailed the owners to ask if they can recommend anywhere to change our £. Anywhere you suggest we should make sure we go to (or avoid) for nightlife?

Paul, sleazyjet from Stansted are very cheap booked far enough in advance, yes. I think we got flights for £45 or so all inc. They do leave at daft o'clock am though. BA were pretty cheap too, about £100 iirc. All from London though.

Yve, we're thinking of doing a day trip to Helsinki too. Anything you'd recommend doing there? Or is it best avoided given that we're poor students?!

Ben