Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Central Heating problem, Help !

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2005, 10:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Central Heating problem, Help !

I took a radiator off today whilst decorating, turned the valves off, removed it and drained it, no problem I thought, this evening there was no hot water, go up to the boiler (in the loft) and the Fault Lamp is lit, the pressure gauge was on the bottom of its travel (it needs one bar or therabouts) so I thought that this was the problem, added water via the filling loop to the correct pressure and it still wont go.

It goes through its startup sequence and things whirr and click but then it abruptly stops and re lights the lamp.

I have tried,

Bleeding all the other radiators,

Reset the overheat switch inside the boiler,

Added yet more water,

let some water back out of the system via the pressure switch on the return,

Sworn at it

looked at it cluelessley

Rung the f*ckin Britsh Gas Three star cover I pay 25 quid a month for but due to 'Unpresendented demand' havent got and answer and they will probably pull a face cos I took the rad off.

Its not lighting but it seems to spark, the Gas supply is on to the house (the Hob works), the boiler has electricity so I am at a loss.

Any pointers gratefully received as I am getting evils as she couldnt have a bath and it isnt the first time this has happened (last time just a refil did the trick), I mean you cant decorate a room with the radiator still on.
Old 04 June 2005, 11:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Rung the f*ckin Britsh Gas Three star cover I pay 25 quid a month for but due to 'Unpresendented demand' havent got and answer and they will probably pull a face cos I took the rad off.
Those who have seen BG's new ad campaign take note.

What make/model boiler?
Old 05 June 2005, 02:08 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the rad is probably purely coincidental to the boiler failure. Is your boiler a vaillant combi? I suspect that either the diaphagm or more likely the microswitch on the widget that senses water flow has failed, according to the BG engineer who comes to replace ours on an almost annual basis failure of the switch is a common occurence.
Old 05 June 2005, 01:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep its a Valiant, have been told its a Combi plumbed as a normal boiler, not sure how correct this is.

Have had the flue fan and pump replaced and to be fair BG have been pretty good, however ringing them last night convinced me that it isnt a 24/7 operation as they claim, the phone system quote 3 minutes and I hung on for 20 with nobody answering, cant beleive it was that busy on a Sat night, this morning it was answered on the second ring and apparently somebody will visit today, I wont hold my breath !

Hope it is coincidental as the wife is blaming my amateur radiator removal, I mean, you turn the taps off either end, un bolt it and then mop up the evil black gunk that comes out, how can you get that wrong ?
Old 05 June 2005, 01:26 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

Coincidental. If its sparking either the sparks to weak to light the pilot, or theres no gas due to lack of gas or blocked pilot injector. Its not a microswitch fault etc if it is actually attempting to light. Think of it in car terms. The spark electrode being a spark plug. Either the gap is not set correctly to light the fuel or there is no fuel. See what i mean.

Or the spark is not making it to the pilot light.
Old 05 June 2005, 04:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Apparently it was an air lock, the boiler detects a pressure differential and doesnt light, the guy was very helpful and has just put it down as a fault rather than me buggering it up !

I think it was because he felt sorry for me, several kids charging about, me covered in paint from decorating, also making a brew and not lying about taking the rad off helped I think. The three star cover pays for itself, amazing considering how I couldnt get an answer last night out of them, the fitters are the bit you need to deal with, if I had mentioned that I had removed the rad to the call centre I am damn sure I would have been charged, so we now have hot water and she can have a bath.

Cheers for your input, especially CrispDuk for not immediately assuming it was my fault !
Old 05 June 2005, 04:32 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I was gonna say air lock. Honest.

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2005, 08:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Still have to put the Rad back on, will have to get the missus on the filling loop to avoid the same prob.