Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Files - how long should you keep them for?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 02:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Files - how long should you keep them for?

Probably and accounting question or maybe legal. Well, you know all your files (bills, bank statements, property purchases/sales, payslips etc.), how long should you keep them for? I heard that it was 5 years. Anything older isn't needed?

I'm just thinking of a purge of old docs but wanna make sure I have as much info as is required for the future should I need a loan, mortgage, start a business or whatever etc.
Old 01 June 2005, 02:50 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I keep everything, thought you had too for at least 5 years too but we had a thread like this about 6 months ago and Im sure it came to light that you dont really need to keep any of them.... probably best to keep the last 3 months incase you ever had to apply for a loan/morgage etc.... still got a shoe box with every single wage slip in it from when I left school and started work.. so that will be 9 years worth of pay slips now must have a full tree
Old 01 June 2005, 02:51 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I heard that it was 5 years.
It used to be 6 years...not 100% certain what it is now..sorry
Old 01 June 2005, 02:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Bank statements etc - keep them as far back as you feel comfortable, 12 months would usually be enough.

Tax / Pay Slips / dividens / interest etc is a slightly different issue, this site covers it, but basically it's 12 months after the closing date of the tax year that they occured in.

This increases to 5 years for property releated stuff. This is just a synopsis - read the page for more...
Old 01 June 2005, 03:06 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

2 days....you can always get them from banks etc if you need them.
Old 01 June 2005, 03:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
2 days....you can always get them from banks etc if you need them.
Well you live and learn, didn't realise you could get a new P60 issued if you lost / disposed of it.
Old 01 June 2005, 03:18 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I keep everything, thought you had too for at least 5 years too but we had a thread like this about 6 months ago and Im sure it came to light that you dont really need to keep any of them.... probably best to keep the last 3 months incase you ever had to apply for a loan/morgage etc.... still got a shoe box with every single wage slip in it from when I left school and started work.. so that will be 9 years worth of pay slips now must have a full tree
Ditto, but 16 years for me, amazing what i used to live on. my bank statements for that time are great, gradually more and more overdrawn every month till the bons month, back to 0....lol

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2005, 03:41 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

I thought P60s and P11Ds need to be kept for circa 6 years?
Old 01 June 2005, 03:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
I thought P60s and P11Ds need to be kept for circa 6 years?
According to the site I cited above, you have to keep them for 12 months after the end of the tax year to which they apply.

However, I believe Tiggs works in the finicial world and says you just chuck it all out and request a new copy if you need one. Sounds good to me.
Old 01 June 2005, 03:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol.....my advice was not official!

im sure there are lots of rules on what to keep and how long etc etc....PERSONALLY....unless its for fun (old files on 1st house etc) i chuck it out pretty soon after getting it (tax stuff is the only exception - and business records if you have one)

things like statements.......i fail to see the point. If the world trade centre can fall over and business goes on im sure i can chuck out a 2 month old savings account statement and not fall apart!
Old 01 June 2005, 03:57 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

There's no legal obligation for an individual to keep them, so bin the lot if you want, but keeping a years worth of payslips & your last P60 should cover any future loans etc.

(If you're trading as sole trader, partnership, ltd co, Vat registered it's very different.)

D
Old 01 June 2005, 04:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
There's no legal obligation for an individual to keep them, so bin the lot if you want, but keeping a years worth of payslips & your last P60 should cover any future loans etc.

(If you're trading as sole trader, partnership, ltd co, Vat registered it's very different.)

D
Hmmm - this bit is the killer:
Failure to keep 'adequate' records and documents can lead to a fine of up to £3,000
Not definition of "adequate" but I dobut chucking all tax related docs older than a couple of weeks old is going to wash. The "guideline" seems to be 12 months after the end of the tax year. Seems reasonable to me.
Old 01 June 2005, 04:10 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you have to be going some to get fined for it!

i have heard ( of someone that didnt keep any motoring bills yet claimed them all on self assesment.........theres always a deal to be though and they want things sorted as much as you.

(anyway - i'd pay £3k a year to have a paperless office )
Old 01 June 2005, 04:10 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

If the IR investigate you it's unlikely to be over your employment (unless a Co director)
Keep two years p60's if your filing cupboard will cope.
For most whose income is 100% derived from an employer the minimal will suffice ...if you've a tax structure similar to Maxwell, you may want to get a filing cabinet & a shredder.

D

Last edited by Dunk; 01 June 2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Dodgy speeeling
Old 01 June 2005, 04:51 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I kept pretty much everything over the years. However I now have a scanner for my PC and I've decided to scan it all, copy it on a CD, then bin it with the exception of about 12 months worth of paper history for tax purposes.
Old 01 June 2005, 04:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
I kept pretty much everything over the years. However I now have a scanner for my PC and I've decided to scan it all, copy it on a CD, then bin it with the exception of about 12 months worth of paper history for tax purposes.
Unless you have a sheet feeder - see you in about 20 years or so