Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Scam or not?

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2005, 07:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scam or not?

Not the usual internet crap, had a guy from Southern Electric knock on the door today. He was German and spoke very fast and coupled with the fact I was busy working at the time it was difficult following him, however I managed to glean the following.

He said following regulation of the competition laws surrounding electricity supply, our current suppliers would no longer be able to charge us an overhead for supplying electricity as it was actually physically supplied by Southern Electricity. This meant we would no longer receive a bill from our current supplier, rather we would get one direct from SE.

All I needed to do to save this money would be for him to take a meter reading and for to sign a form.

It sounded a bit suss, so I asked him to leave a leaflet, and told him I wouldn't sign anything. I left him with the Gas meter and told him the elecy meter was behind the gate and went back inside. No leaflet was left.

This sounds like a scam to get you to sign up to a different supplier, although my neighbour is convinced it is legit.

I spoke to my supplier who said it was a scam, but they would say that wouldn't they

What do you reckon?
Old 31 May 2005, 08:19 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

not a scam as such, but high pressure door to door selling...

i had them a while back got into a fullscale argument

i wanted a copy of the agreement to review, they flatly refused,

got shirty when i told them i wouldnt sign until i had read the agreement,

they dont like you to read the smallprint...

took objectuion when i told them they must have something to hide..

M
Old 31 May 2005, 08:35 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

i love these people (on a good day ) they are soooo entertaining, once, 2 push salesslugs were trying to persuade me to move from my current supplier to them saying it would be cheaper etc.....

the funny thing was, it started like this,

2 suited slugs came in,ask for the person who deals with gas bills. thats me
they said they are from x gas company and they ask if they can see a current gas bill,
didn't click on quick enough i let them see it, they then started to say they can get a cheaper deal....then my brain started to kick in(its that turbo lag y'know)
i ask what deal (not remembering EXACTLY) the deal was that they are cheaper by 2-3p PER kw, when i spend over x amount.

i then ask for amount they charge for standing charges etc etc.

conversation continued, until i told them they are more expensive
their standing charges were £4 more per qtr. i said I HAVE to spend over x amount to save money, and i am trying to save energy and not waste it (whatever!! )
and then put THEM on the spot, by asking WHY should i change when you're more expensive WOULD YOU CHANGE?
the more quiet one looked at me, then to his colleague and said "this ones a difficult one"
then then turned to the TV,(golf was on) and said "i never i understand the game, you take ten minutes for the shot, hit it then walks a mile to get to the ball again"
and then said bye and walked off.

ha what a loser !!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2005, 08:40 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Since the salesman started off with a pitch saying you were going to be chaning suppliers anyway then I'd count it as a scam, they are certainly lying to you which is not the friendliest of sales tactics.

I would make a complaint to EngeryWatch about them.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:48 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

There are a few websites that give you the cheapest - We had a girl come round telling us they were cheaper by miles - Went on a comparison website and they were a tiny bit more expensive. I would not trust them - I feel for them as they usually only get paid commission - That is why they pressure you so much.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:55 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

another one was in 2002, when i moved to my house
3 people was knocking on door to door, (N POWER never forget that)
there was 2 guys and a female

when they got to my house, they DIDN'T persuade me to change suppliers they just wanted to look at my car (i was putting on a strut brace ) the female asked if she could look at the engine, and said wow, always wanted to look at the engine of one.
btw my car is very std.
Old 31 May 2005, 08:56 PM
DomoKun
Scooby Newbie

If they have to pressure sell at your door you rightly assume it is a scam. A decent man selling you a decent product is judged by his sale

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2005, 09:12 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Sounds like he was after your Meter Point Reference Number (or equivalent). He would then forge your signature on the transfer form, hand it in, get his cash backhander and do a runner (casual labour).

I could be wrong, but you may want to phone your current supplier (gas and electric) and confirm that you do not intent moving!

mb
Old 31 May 2005, 09:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

My supplier has assured me they will check before moving supply, however it is a bit naughty not to spell out the fact that I would be changing supplier.

i have made a complaint to SE about it.
Old 31 May 2005, 10:08 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You've complained to the wronge place. The energy supplier is not really the only place you want to complain to. You need somone indepedant, ie someone that actually cares
Old 01 June 2005, 07:54 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
You've complained to the wronge place. The energy supplier is not really the only place you want to complain to. You need somone indepedant, ie someone that actually cares
Maybe so, however I'm sure they would rather not see a renegade tarnishing their good name. I don't have enough info to complain to Energy Watch (e.g ID number, Name)
Old 01 June 2005, 08:10 AM
EiW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Maybe so, however I'm sure they would rather not see a renegade tarnishing their good name. I don't have enough info to complain to Energy Watch (e.g ID number, Name)
Don't need to worry. If they're a credible company:
- they'll know who was in your area
- they'll want to deal with it.