A little advice please

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2005, 10:25 PM
volvos aint cool
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A little advice please

Hi All,

posting under a new username here...ok I'm not a prolific poster, but just wanted to keep things anonymous I suppose.

To cut a long story short, my girlfriend of 5 years and I are splitting up...wouldn't be so bad apart from the fact that we have two beautiful children who I can't bear to be without.

My first priority is to see the children safe and well, and to that end I will be moving out into rented accomodation....they don't need the turmoil of being uprooted - besides that they are registered at the local school whch the eldest will be starting in a year's time - good school and I don't want to risk them losing their places.

My gf and I are still amicable, but I do not have parental responsibility signed to myself (both born before Dec 2003 and so it is not an automatic right afforded to me). She is also very reluctant to let me have that legal protection - a real bone of contention - it is not anything to do with my ability to be a good parent, I just think that she does not want to relinquish any control at all. I cannot bear the thought of being basically third in line with regards to decisions involving my children (behind her then her parents).

Is anyone in the same situation? How have you dealt with it?

I'm a good parent, my children have always come first in any decision and I want some security that I will always be part of their lives. We will both be seing a solicitor together to sort out the finances etc, but I don't want to force the parental responsibility issue as I know everything will break down....at least as it stands I will have good access to my kids...verbally agreed at least.

Views/experiences?

Cheers.
Old 30 May 2005, 10:42 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to get legal assistence

harsh though it may seem, you need to be ready for the legal profession to queer the pitch somewhat...

if your ex has sought legal advice, they will be trying to obtain the best deal for there client, you wont factor well in that area.!!

its imperitive you do this sooner than later, courts do not like to upset the status quo, so you need to have good contact with your kids allready

Mart