Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What can we do?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2005, 06:43 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What can we do?!?!?!?!?!?

What can we do about the god awful lane discipline on Britains roads?!?!!

We've often ranted about this however this evening something wound me up over and above the daily annoyance I get with motorway driving.

A Vauxhall Corsa with "BSM driving tuition" plastered on it. A male driver, approx 35yrs old. Nobody else in the car. I am to assume he is an INSTRUCTOR yet refused to use the left lane on the motorway. Lane 2 and 3 seemed fine to him but something was holding him back from using lane 1. Maybe he got an electric shock if he used lane 1 perhaps?? FFS.

Now, this guy is supposed to be a qualified tutor. What hope is there is he is as clueless as many other motorway users?!!?!?

What can we do?!??? Poor lane discipline leeds to congestion. Congestion is a massive problem. Before we start widening roads etc we need to address the fundamental issues of congestion - prevention rather than cure?

If motorways were widened to 5 lanes, lanes 1 and 2 would remain empty, people would merely "shift" across to the right.

Perhaps an influx of adverts "keep left unless over-taking" coupled with some pretty pictures if people struggle to understand the fecking concept.

<sighs>
Old 30 May 2005, 07:39 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

I saw them too, also on the M25 around JCT18.

People read them and probably thought they meant stay left, as in use the middle lane not the "fast" lane. Lane 1 is merely for getting on/off the motorway and for lorries you know....
Old 30 May 2005, 10:22 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

I advocate the use of front mounted rocket launchers to destroy middle lane hogs.

I'll get me coat.
Old 30 May 2005, 10:35 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Coming back on the m40 back into london on friday there was about 15 cars in a row in the middle lane, probably same again in the outside all doing about 50 and not one SINGLE car in the inside. I breezed up the inside and carried on my way, ffs why dont people use it if theyre gonna drive slow
Old 30 May 2005, 10:49 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally i think an advertising campaign would work - i dont think people purposely say 'i know lets slow those sods down', its just they are unaware of how to use the motorway. Little education could go a long way on this one - also think of the productivity gained from moving people about better.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:04 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Education needs to be instilled into them sub-conciously. Moving over left and staying left should be one smooth, instinctive motion. i don't think about doing it now, I just "do it".

Lane discipline will resolve SO MANY congestion issues. People using lane 2 means most people need to use lane 3 to pass them. Therefore, a 3 lane motorway becomes a 2 lane dual carriageway.

<TheBigMan drives past in lane 1 smiling and waving>
Old 30 May 2005, 11:06 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

There's no forgiving the lazy people who hog the 2nd and 3rd lanes of an empty motorway. However when it's busy I think many people reason that by staying in the outside lanes they will get to their destination quicker. This is because by moving into the first lane, they will lose their place in the "queue" and get delayed as soon as they get up behind a lorry. I try to use the first lane whenever possible. The last thing I want though is to get stuck behind a slow moving lorry in the first lane and have no option but to brake.

There are others typically older drivers who do not feel comfortable changing lanes. They get in a lane which allows them to avoid changing lanes and avoid lorries...
Old 30 May 2005, 11:14 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

[rant]

Wouldn't it be good if the police (if there were any...) actually let motorists know that they were diriving badly. No need to fine them or anything (no, really!) just a quick word.

Most of these people (and lane discipline is just one thing; how about adding not indicating, wrong lanes around roundabouts etc.) probably don't know they're doing anything wrong. They think that the person behind them flashing them out of the way is the wrong-doer (and before someone gets on their high horse, too right I flash people - I am merely 'letting them know I am there', as per Highway code...).

Also, adverts about driving during, say, soap operas may be a start!

I reckon regular re-tests would be a start. Driving is a skill, and should not be seen as a right. Maybe one day road safety advocates will start to focus on all the problems affecting road safety and not just on the easy target...

[/rant]
Old 30 May 2005, 11:14 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Could install the American system where you can overtake on any side. Saves all the hassle of re-education
Old 31 May 2005, 06:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that could be risky Luminous. Too difficult for enough people to use their offside mirror let alone both sides!

Maybe a good advertising campaign about lane discipline and fine people for obstruction if they take no notice.

The mobile phone business doesn't work well however, I saw a bloke driving a double decker bus using one the other day!

Les
Old 31 May 2005, 08:02 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

It's not just lane 2 that people hog, I've lost count the number of times I've had to undertake a number of cars in lane 3 because none of them were willing to move to lanes 1 or 2
Old 31 May 2005, 08:39 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

whats the penalty for undertaking?
Old 31 May 2005, 09:10 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Probably something like driving without due care and attention - like the guy hogging the middle lane isn't?
Old 31 May 2005, 09:12 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Big Man,drive round France for a week,then you'll be glad to come back to our safe,respectful and polite country.

Old 31 May 2005, 09:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

I wish people would stop complaining about the middle lane hogs I can make really good progress up the inside lane at the moment avoiding both the blind old people AND the BMW/Audi lane. If the numpties are forced into the inside lane, I'll have nowhere to go

I've also used the same principle on the *** into North Wales for years, stay in the inside lane, passing all the tossers choking the outside lane, then pull out to creep past the weekend pikeys as and when I catch up with them
Old 31 May 2005, 09:27 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
It's only undertaking if you deliberately manouvre to an inside lane to pass, otherwise, it's merely maintaining the speed of the traffic directly ahead

NB, like most other things, it's also only classed as undertaking if you get caught
Old 31 May 2005, 09:36 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Less traffic cops due to the life saving scameras

the scamcameras not going to pick this or other bad driving up unless it is speeding

It is going to get worse rather than better.

I was nearly hit buy a tw@t pulling out from the left without looking on Sunday. I had to do an emergency stop to avoid.

Nealry side swiped by an old duffer with no lane dicipline and totally unaware of other road users.

Car in front stops dead at green traffic lights yesterday, refuses to move whilst checking left and right - i had the horn depressed after 5 secs to let them know i was there. They then flip me the finger

Cameras would/will not pick any of this up.
Old 31 May 2005, 10:04 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Less traffic cops due to the life saving scameras
Don't be so sure!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4580443.stm
Old 31 May 2005, 10:25 AM
RB170
Scooby Regular

They're not traffic cops
Old 31 May 2005, 10:40 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

...good point, well made.
Old 31 May 2005, 10:42 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by davyboy
Hardly traffic cops are they?
Old 31 May 2005, 11:21 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

'They do not have the power of arrest'

But I bet they will have the power to sit behind a speed gun
Old 31 May 2005, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Looks like it won't be long before we don't have properly trained policemen at all any more. Its certainly a lot cheaper to have "plastic cops" who can stand there looking impressive but with no significant powers to do anything useful.

All part of the modern image of course.

Who cares about the people any more anyway?

Les
Old 31 May 2005, 12:40 PM
Little Miss WRX

Originally Posted by Nat21
There is currently a trial scheme on the M1 to use the VMS signs to say keep left unless overtaking. I bet no-one takes any notice though
They have these signs on freeways/motorways in NSW including a mention of the fine if caught doing it and no one takes any notice of them.
Old 31 May 2005, 12:48 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

A Vauxhall Corsa with "BSM driving tuition" plastered on it. A male driver, approx 35yrs old. Nobody else in the car. I am to assume he is an INSTRUCTOR yet refused to use the left lane on the motorway. Lane 2 and 3 seemed fine to him but something was holding him back from using lane 1. Maybe he got an electric shock if he used lane 1 perhaps?? FFS.
I think I saw the same guy over the weekend. I just blitz up the inside lane and continue the journey with the sheep where they belong, behind me. No doubt all the middle lane morons were looking down their noses at me, but if they knew what lane discipline was I wouldnt have to do what I do to make progress.
astraboy.
Old 31 May 2005, 01:14 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

It's interesting that different motorways seem to have different standard of driver.

I've found the M5 between Bristol and M42 to be quite easy to drive along:- people using the correct lanes; little tailgating; and drivers actually watching out for others - such as creating space to let people change lane ahead of them.

The M4 is a nightmare by comparison:- hardly anoyone is aware of the existance of Lane1; full of tailgaters; and people seem blind to others who might want to change lane.

There's also the 'move straight into the middle lane' brigade, who caused me to take sudden avoiding action on two occasions earlier in the year on an otherwise empty road who seem to exist everywhere!
Old 31 May 2005, 02:15 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Driving along the inside lane at a higher speed than cars in lane 2 and 3 is not undertaking. YOU are in the right, THEY are in the wrong.

I have made better progress in lane 1 with police officers in front/behind me. Granted I did worry they might have a go but i grit my teeth and did it anyway - resultant?? Nothing said.

Only undertaking if you pull in, go past, then pull out in one motion.
Old 31 May 2005, 04:31 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Are you sure about that? Just 'cos you didn't get tugged doesn't mean it's not techincally illegal...
Old 31 May 2005, 04:35 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

You can pass someone on the inside as long as you do not pull back into the overtaking lane. I've seen traffic cops on the TV waiting for someone undertaking to actually re-enter the outside lane. They cannot do anything until you have done that.