Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Pathos, Cyprus???

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2005, 02:29 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Pathos, Cyprus???

Me and the missus are off to Pathos in about a fortnight to get hitched

so anyone been??
what's it like??, is it crawling it footy shirted chav's or have we escaped tripping over burburry towels and baseball caps

Any recommendations on what to do out there, good places to visit/ avoid??

and a quick idea of what your money gets you? i know it's about 1 cypriut pound to £1.19sterling, so what are the prices like out there??

cheers in advance all

Jam
Old 29 May 2005, 02:35 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

went last year ( paphos). Its a busy resort, mainly couples and families, I only saw one group of chavs while I was there, and they were Uber chavs, walking around with a poxy stereo pumping out hardcore dance ****e/trying to start fights etc.

The seafront itself is ok with some nice bars and restaurants towards the far end near the harbour, but there is a section on the main high street that is like Yarmouth, fcukin horrible TBH.

I didn't think it was that cheap, some places were £2 for a small beer
Old 29 May 2005, 02:45 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

suppose it would help if i could spell it correctly lol

cheers for the comments, looks like i may have to order a few more travellers cheques
Old 29 May 2005, 02:51 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

bugger, I [paid £3 for one of these last year !

http://www.kaem.ru/files/maps/cyprus-map-m.jpg

I'll have a look and see if there are places that ring any bells
Old 29 May 2005, 04:06 PM
scoobygurllover
Scooby Regular

Me and my man went down for a day trip from where he stays(bout an hour away) and it was pretty tacky to be quite honest. The beach front nice enough but nothin special. To be honest i prefer limasol it by far nicer and not near as tacky and full fo the brits lol! have fun though
Old 29 May 2005, 04:53 PM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

Was there last summer. Paphos is a bit tacky-touristy TBH, agree with Chip about the High Street. My top food recommendations would be the Mandra Taverna and the Almond Tree, both in the centre of town. IMO the best bits of Cyprus are out of the towns, get a car and head to the hills! Easycar were dirt cheap (£5 / day or something daft).

Also, it was unbelieveably hot (c40 degs C) when we were there late June.
Old 29 May 2005, 05:15 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Went a few ytears back and its quite nice. Definitely rent a car and go up into the Troodos mountians though. Try and find the Pikini Taverna on the way up, lovely view and great food !

AllanB
Old 29 May 2005, 05:29 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

definatley get a car and have a mooch up in the mountains, the kouris dam just north west of limasol is also worth a mooch around. Limasol is also good for a bit of fishing if you like that sort of thing. There is a pier you can fish off, at the bottom of the pier by the road is a nice little cafe place you can nip back to for beers, food was ok aswell, with a nice and friendly owner. Whenever I was there it was always full of yokels, which I think is usually a good sign.
Old 29 May 2005, 05:37 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Was there last year and stayed in the 5* Annabelle, exellent hotel right on the front, their is no large beaches in Paphos centre though.
there is a little strip that is around 500 metres long with the usual bars etc, Not to many chavs mostly couples and families and then the old town is a couple of miles in with good shops and markets.
there is a fantastic Italian(can't remember the name) but it is just around the corner from the Robin Hood pub and if you like a club, Starsky and Hutch is a must for the old music.
are you sure about the exchange rate??. was only getting £0.85CY for a UK £.
hope this helps and if you need any more advice just ask as i was there for 4 months.
Mac
Old 29 May 2005, 05:46 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Was there during euro 2004 !!

The Greeks can really celebrate

Restaurants are great

Bars are great

Beaches IN Paphos are poor but there are some nice ones further up the coast

Troodoos Mountains are cool

Waterpark in Paphos small but fun

Would we go again .................................... NO

but then the world is a big place and there is a lot more to visit
Old 29 May 2005, 05:47 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

1 CYP = 1.19175 GBP

just got this from aol travel thingy

cheers for the comments everyone driving licence is definately going with me then, not really into all the touristy crap so it looks like it's going to be fun searching for alll these places

good excuse not to down too much beer, belly's bad enough as it is
Old 29 May 2005, 07:31 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

The local beer - (Keo) is tip top!!

Old 30 May 2005, 01:02 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Been there 4 times now, to Cyprus 7 times. We love it, people are great, no chavs in Paphos, plenty in Ayanapa, loads of squaddies in Lanarca or Limassol, can't remember which. Take a car and explore. Like anywhere else, the bits that float your boat aren't always in the tourist bits.

Warning: July/August is roasting hot. We are talking 44 degrees C when we were there last year!

Whatever you do, enjoy your break.

WB
Old 30 May 2005, 09:16 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Was in limassol 2 years ago !

Would go again
Old 30 May 2005, 11:31 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Went to Kato Paphos ( the new part) 2 years ago... am trying to go back again maybe the end of July.

The weather was great, the people were extremely friendly and speak English for the most part. Some parts were a bit tacky but if you hire a car and get out and about it's a lovely place. If you go up in the Troodos mountains make sure you get some sort of 4x4 - we had a ****ty daewoo and it took us 7 hours to get round! The roads suddenly disappear and become pot holed 'lanes' and the car felt like it was going to fall apart! But the scenery was breathtaking - make sure you go up to mount olympus...

Also if you want to see some of the history, take a visit to the Tomb of the Kungs just outside Paphos...

For eating out, it was a tad on the dear side but some places are worth it... try Fat Mamas/****** Rib Ranch.. 1 restaurant but with 2 distinct menus. The atmospehere & food is brilliant - yu can mix & match from the 2 menus but you need to get there fairly early or you'll queue for hours!!!
http://www.3ds.com.cy/fatmama/
Old 30 May 2005, 11:31 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

If you can try and go to the North,(turkish side). loads of cheap stuff and the standard of service is exellent and the Kebabs aren't bad either.
about 50% cheaper than the South, all you need is your passport and proof of insurance for the north (available from the border and only about £10CY for a week) and away you go.
The castle on top of the ridge overlooking Kyrenia(Richerd the lionheart captured it) is especially nice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...x/P1010420.jpg

The Annabelle in Paphos
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...x/P1010404.jpg

Beach bar In Napa( if you like that sort of thing)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...x/P1010245.jpg

got plenty more.
Mac.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Kokinelli is the stuff to drink, cheap as chips and a great "giggle mixture". You get it included in a full kebab too, it comes in bottles with silver paper milk bottle tops

A full Cypriot Kebab, the proper kind, is hard to beat for taste and value too. Try a Mese too.

Paphos is a good place for an open air meal by the harbour and a bit further round the coast to the north there are some lovely beaches, some with very attractive coloured stones to pick up.

Don't miss the Troodos Mountains, lovely drive.

Les
Old 30 May 2005, 12:43 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

yep it gets very hot in the summer and does'nt get much cooler at night we were in nappa last year and there was a thermometer in the center that was reading 38oC at 8 at night
Old 31 May 2005, 11:39 AM
thundertiger
Scooby Regular

I got married there in 2000.

http://www.cyprushotelsguide.net/ima...beach_pool.jpg

nice place, married in the town hall.

hot, cheap prescription glasses and gold (bought the rings there!!!)

had private beach on hotel, which had jet ski's and free watersports!!!

also went all-inclusive and drank myself into oblivion!

enjoy...

Dazza

Last edited by thundertiger; 31 May 2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:44 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Been there 4 times now, to Cyprus 7 times. We love it, people are great, no chavs in Paphos, plenty in Ayanapa, loads of squaddies in Lanarca or Limassol, can't remember which. Take a car and explore. Like anywhere else, the bits that float your boat aren't always in the tourist bits.

Warning: July/August is roasting hot. We are talking 44 degrees C when we were there last year!

Whatever you do, enjoy your break.

WB
Limassol is an old port town and is a complete cesspit. We struck out on a last minute deal and ended up in a hovel of a hotel there, put us off going to Cyprus again in a hurry. I'm sure other parts are fine, but I'd make an effort to avoid Limassol.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Limassol was not the best place as you say OllyK, the only thing to be said for it was that there are some good kebab houses there. One or two interesting shops too.

The rest of Cyprus is a very big improvement.

Les
Old 31 May 2005, 11:51 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
One or two interesting shops too.
Guess we missed both of them.

Mind you it didn't help that it was snowing while we were there, first time in living memory, typical!
Old 31 May 2005, 12:23 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

Limassol and Paphos really have gone downhill over recent years. It used to be nice to sit out at Paphos harbour and feed the Pelicans but the place has really just sprawled out horribly. Lots of crap bars and neon rubbish. Likewise Limassol has become a bit of a Brit holiday khazi - can't get a cypriot meze but they'll do you a sunday roast with all the trimmings; bloody awful.

Kokinelli, or Village Wine, is excellent fighting water. Served in old mineral water bottles the vintage is measured in hours not years.
Head inland for some proper cypriot life and food; go for the full Meze Bloody marvellous! I'm heading out there at the weekend again (for ten millionth time - flying visit courtesy of HM Forces) and will be indulging in the half kebab please - shish, sheftalia, halloumi lountza, 2 bottles of kokinelli and 4 Keos please Chris
Old 31 May 2005, 12:26 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been to Cyprus twice now and both times stayed in Limassol. The old town isn't great there but the new town is pretty nice, I'm off there in just over 3 weeks on my honeymoon
Old 31 May 2005, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

And don't forget the brandy sours SimonH, made with Keo brandy of course

That Kokinelli didn't travel too well, used to just about make it from the kitchen to the table

I just reckon your luck really ran out that week OllyK, snow in Limassol! I'm surprised you made it back to the UK.

Les
Old 31 May 2005, 01:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I just reckon your luck really ran out that week OllyK, snow in Limassol! I'm surprised you made it back to the UK.

Les
I was tempted to do a Pope "JP" and kiss the tarmac on arrival back in the UK
Old 31 May 2005, 02:04 PM
cbgb
Scooby Regular

just got back from the rally of cyprus , paphos was great . troudos mountains a must .

Fat Mammas , go and try and eat a full three cousres!!!

4 x 4 drivng off the beaten track , was briilliant had to drive 3 miles down a dry river bed to get to one of the stages!
Old 31 May 2005, 03:24 PM
MrsC_772
Scooby Newbie

Default Akamas peninsula

If you want to get out of town, I recommend the Akamas peninsula (far west end of Cyprus) - beautiful scenery, nice walks, beaches, and lots of wildlife (lizards, butterflies). When I was there there were lots of wild flowers (but that was Easter - don't know if there are flowers later in the year).
Old 31 May 2005, 03:53 PM
SimonH
Scooby Regular

And don't forget the brandy sours SimonH, made with Keo brandy of course

That Kokinelli didn't travel too well, used to just about make it from the kitchen to the table

Les
How could I forget the brandy sours?! The drink of champions! 3 jugs please George For some reason, it never tastes the same at home......even if you buy all the bits in Cyprus....
Old 31 May 2005, 05:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Happy days

Les

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Pathos, Cyprus???