Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How bad a piracy thief are you?
I go to the cinema then buy a copy off a terrorist but then buy the dvd when released.
18.92%
I only go to the cinema then buy the dvd when released.
35.14%
I only buy copies from paddy the terrorist.
32.43%
I only go to the cinema.
13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

piracy is theft! How bad are you?

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2005, 03:17 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piracy is theft! How bad are you?

So after seeing shocking advets on the front of most new dvd's saying that piracy is theft and you are funding terrorists!!!!

Are we really? I often buy copied dvd's from an irish bloke wearing a turban.

As for theft I think their must be a large group of us who not only go to the cinema to see the film, we will then buy a copy purely because it's not released quick enough! Then go out and buy the original when it finally hits the shops.
so if you don't want us to nick it just hurry up and release the fecking thing! I would love to see a film on the big screen then pick up a copy of it on my way out of the cinema!

Don't tell me they make more money from tickets sales than they do from dvd sales, so just release them both at the same time! (I heard George lucas in an interview saying that DVD's now controlled what was made) so why not?

I can see that some people only get poor copies and then think the film is crap due to the quality and give us all a bad name.

But does most of the money go to terrorists with every man and his mate now burning copys of the new starwars film into the wee hours?

or is it just hype to stop us doing it?

Just a thought

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 28 May 2005 at 08:03 PM.
Old 28 May 2005, 03:47 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I almost never go to the cinema now. I always seem to sit behind a bunch of basketball players with afros, and beside someone who needs to give his dippy girlfriend a running commentary on what is happening, what just happened, and who all the characters are (repeatedly). More often than not, there are the national Noisest Eating team sitting behind me.

I have been known to copy the odd DVD off one of the guys at work (rather than borrow it). Normally only films I wouldn't bother watching otherwise. I turn down the offer of getting copies of his downloaded DivX movies because the quality is poor. I'm shocked that I seem to be working with a terrorist though. He must be one of those sleeper agents who is biding his time as a helpdesk tech until the revolution comes...
Old 28 May 2005, 03:55 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Where's the option for downloading
Old 28 May 2005, 03:56 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

ok then.who has revenge of the sith on their computer .its all in german here and just aint the same
Old 28 May 2005, 03:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

cinema twice a week at 11am on a school day...empty and as the film should be seen.......copies are for pikeys.
Old 28 May 2005, 04:12 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A bit like Tiggs, wednesday early afternoon on the Orange Wednesday 2 for 1 promo Nice and quiet, often have theatre to ourselves. If I really enjoy a film I may buy from a terrorist (or Malaysian website ) until the best version (based on PQ, sound format, cut and extras; whatever region) I'm prepared to wait for comes out when I'll buy it proper. More average films I tend to just tape from Sky/NTL and never buy.
Old 28 May 2005, 04:17 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gyfto1
ok then.who has revenge of the sith on their computer .its all in german here and just aint the same
Not all versions are in German
Old 28 May 2005, 04:19 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Just picked up the new Star Wars film £3 and had the covers on
Old 28 May 2005, 04:20 PM
gyfto1
Scooby Regular

nah,meant at the cinema.lol
Old 28 May 2005, 04:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gyfto1
nah,meant at the cinema.lol
ahhh, I get i now
Old 28 May 2005, 06:31 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Tiggs
copies are for pikeys.
I'm with Tiggs on this one
Old 28 May 2005, 06:36 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think I must have a problem with "corporations". I do not mind paying for a DVD, far from it, but I have a few issues with the system at present.

1. They are over priced. If they can be sold cheaper in other countries, then we should have them at the same price
2. They make me sit through their ads. I mean FFS I just paid for this, I want to be able to skip the intro bit if I want to. I know its not long, its just that they deliberately make you sit through this for promotional purposes
3. Cannot make backup copies easily. My computer is almost silent, I'm a real enthusiast in this respect. My PC is significantly quieter than any DVD I've come across costing circa £300, so I prefer to transfer a DVD to my PC to play it. They try to stop me from doing this....sigh...oh well
Old 28 May 2005, 06:45 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I think I must have a problem with "corporations". I do not mind paying for a DVD, far from it, but I have a few issues with the system at present.

1. They are over priced. If they can be sold cheaper in other countries, then we should have them at the same price
2. They make me sit through their ads. I mean FFS I just paid for this, I want to be able to skip the intro bit if I want to. I know its not long, its just that they deliberately make you sit through this for promotional purposes
3. Cannot make backup copies easily. My computer is almost silent, I'm a real enthusiast in this respect. My PC is significantly quieter than any DVD I've come across costing circa £300, so I prefer to transfer a DVD to my PC to play it. They try to stop me from doing this....sigh...oh well
Firstly, I can either use the skip button or the DVD menu button to get past adverts.

Secondly, sounds like you need to download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for making backup copies of your legally purchased DVDs.
Old 28 May 2005, 06:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Nice to know that you can skip ads, none of the players I've come across have done that. How does yours manage this, some mod, or was it supplied like this?

Secondly - yeah, got that angle sorted, its just a bit of a pain sometimes.

Oh yeah...how could I forget....Regional Encoding...... that really gets my goat. Not the fact that they do it, different regions, different languages and content for them...thats fine. Its the fact that they have really tried to stop you from going region free (not that they have been amazingly successful at this)
Old 28 May 2005, 07:12 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Nice to know that you can skip ads, none of the players I've come across have done that. How does yours manage this, some mod, or was it supplied like this?

Secondly - yeah, got that angle sorted, its just a bit of a pain sometimes.

Oh yeah...how could I forget....Regional Encoding...... that really gets my goat. Not the fact that they do it, different regions, different languages and content for them...thats fine. Its the fact that they have really tried to stop you from going region free (not that they have been amazingly successful at this)
My remote control has a button labled "skip". I have a bog standard Sharp DV-NC70 DVD/VHS combo.

DVD Shrink has a feature for making a copy region free. Just in case you decide to take some of your legally copied DVDs to your second home across the pond (or elsewhere). I have copied some of my UK DVDs so I can play them on my region 1 DVD player.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:17 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

the copys I get are usually dvd quality so no need to do any other.

as for funding terrorists, thats nothing but a crock of **** made up by the big wigs in hollywood to stop us buying them. (im sure that some terrorists make money some where but no where near as bad as is made out) im fairly sure the guy I get them of isnt a terrorist

shaggy
Old 28 May 2005, 07:49 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

I copy everything.Funding terrorism?WTF?Sounds like the usual government hype in a feeble attempt to make us feel guilty about it,but not me.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't forget the paedophiles they copy loads of DVD's, it's not all kids stuff.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Getting a little tired Jack...
Old 28 May 2005, 08:54 PM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

Those stupid yanks have been funding terrorists for years.
Old 29 May 2005, 07:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i go to the flix if i think its going to be worth it, if i know it looks a bit sketchy i will download

only copy i ever bought was terminator 3 as the downloads at the time were stupidly sized and the G/F wouldnt go to the flix with me (refuse to go by myself lol)

t3 was ****e anyway so i should be let off

bought donnie darko today on original DVD after watching it as a dvd rip download a while back, so fairs fair!!
Old 30 May 2005, 02:38 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I remember buying albums on vinyl and on the inner sleeve would be the picture of a cassette with a skull and crossbones on it. Underneath it would say "Home taping is killing music".........as you`ve all noticed it didn`t.