Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody else giving up smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 11:16 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anybody else giving up smoking?

I've been smoking for over 15 years and thought enough is enough. First real attempt at giving up and I'm on day 7. Using gum/patches, its fooking murder!!
Anybody else in the middle of giving up?
Old 27 May 2005, 11:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carry on!!!!

I stopped 6 years ago after 30 years of smoking - 40 a day - at first I was as ill as ill could be (had an Operation and other things went wrong ) I think your body 'backfires' when you stop .........

But now, 6 years on, its soooooooo much better!!

I wish you all the best mate!!

Pete
Old 27 May 2005, 11:22 PM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Yes, my other half gave up 2 months ago after years of smoking. He gave up a couple of years ago, he used patches but they made him feel sick. This time he has used the gum and so far touch wood it seems to have worked. He is only using ordinary gum now and he feels o.k. He gave up as a condition of buying the scooby. I think he is taking my threat of "If i catch you smoking again i will take the scooby down to the local Maccy D's and let all the boy racers thrash the crap out of it" very seriously
Old 28 May 2005, 08:42 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks PSL

Mrs WRX, yes I promised myself a new car if I stay off them. In saved money, decrease in life insurance premiums and a few extra years of life to earn money I think it evens out!!

Deep
Old 28 May 2005, 08:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The way to look at it is that if you do stop there is every chance you might avoid the quad bypass I had to have which is no picnic, or even worse than that. That may strengthen the resolve!

You won't believe how much extra cash you will have too

Good luck anyway.

Les
Old 28 May 2005, 09:35 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

I know quite a few peeps that have tried to give up smoking and used the patches / gums and IMHO all it is doing is maintaining your addiction to nicatine 'cos each one has gone back to smoking.
The only guys (& gals) I know that quit proper, did so by giving up the nicotine, not just smoking.
Biggest tip they could give was to KEEP BUSY as it was when they had time on their hands that they found it the hardest.

If you like raw carrotts get your missus to peel and cut you a load up so you can smoke/chomp on them instead.

I started smoking at 11yrs old but quit by going cold turkey. No probs unless your a gutless pig with no will power

Bob
Old 28 May 2005, 09:48 AM
al3x
Scooby Regular

I have never smoked (because i`m a tight ***, and cig`s are expensive!!!). But good luck to you, won`t be easy I`m sure, but it will be worth it in the end.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:05 AM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

I'm into my 12th week of no ciggies. I can't see the point of patches/gum/etc because they're just another thing to give up later.
I reached a really low point about 3 weeks ago and couldn't see any reason to carry on "giving up". I came into work one day and my colleagues had bought a bunch of flowers and a card with loads of best wishes and congratulations about how well i was doing!! I realised then how important encouragement was and the need to have folk back me up.
Now i have a sponser sheet (which will probably raise a couple of hundred pounds for charity)...the idea being that i have to be a non smoker for 6 months before anyone pays up. Its given me a fresh incentive to keep off the ciggies.
Best of luck with you efforts.
Old 28 May 2005, 10:09 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Deep, I gave up almost 4 years ago using patches for the first 12 weeks to reduce the initial nicotine craving. It worked for me! I used to smoke more than a pack a day and my co-workers laughed when I told them I was going to quit, as they described my as a 'professional smoker'. Only downside now is that I can't stand going into claustrophobic smokey little bars - which with this nice weather is no bad thing really!

Good luck.
If I can do it, you can do it too.

Suresh
Old 28 May 2005, 10:32 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Deep, I'm now on month 15 of giving up smoking after 15 plus years (more like 20).

My first attempt was pure cold turkey and failed miserably after about 2 days.

The best way is to get in the mind set that you want to stop, think of the mornings you have woken up weezing, coughing etc. not nice.

Then use the gum, apart from tasting like your chewing paint stripper it does work. When ya fancy a ***, pop one in chew like mad make a few faces and then carry on. I found the first few weeks the hardest as your body is getting used to reduced nicotene but that soon passes. After 3 days I managed a night out in the pub with no real problems just keep thinking smoking is for mugs (because it is, I readily admit to being a mug for 20 years).

Patches I used 3 in total, gum for about a month then onto normal. It will work, like I say just be positive that the cravings you suffer are short term and the benefits of giving up are enormous.

To go on, if you have a reason for giving up then keep that in mind as well. I gave up cos we were expecting our first nipper so I thought that having a dad that can run about without sounding like a broken bagpipe wouyld be fantastic, I kept that in mind and persevered.

Go for it and don't give up and have faith in yourself, it's worth it.

For Suresh I can't say that I dislike smokey bars cos I do, what I don't like is waking up in the morning and having to put my coat in the wash cos it stinks.

To all you smokers out there........you stink

Roo
Old 28 May 2005, 10:35 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

7 days? Well done that man. By now you are starting to smell like a normal human being and not like an urn full of ashes. Your sense of smell will start to return as will your sense of taste and once you've finished with the patches (took me about 10-12 weeks after 40 a day for 20 or so years) your wallet will feel the benefit too. The colour of your skin will improve as will your breathing, you will no longer feel the need to hack up half of your lungs in the morning. When you speak with other people, you will notice that they don't recoil from your appalling halitosis. You may need to visit a dentist to have your teeth cleaned but that's the least of your worries, once cleaned they will stay clean and not look like they are rotting in your head.

Just think, 7 days ago you were just like that. Keep on stopping and if you get the urge, drink water and get on ScoobyNet for some support if you need it.

Last edited by STi-Frenchie; 28 May 2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 28 May 2005, 01:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I packed in for six years after a visit to a hypnotist. loads of friends went to hypnotists and it didn't work for them, but it worked for me.

Went on a cruise and had a cigar and that started me again unfortunately, but kicked it again, on patches this time, and that was over 2 years ago now.

No temptation now whatsoever, and can't see myself ever smoking again.
Old 28 May 2005, 02:15 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

I gave up after 12 years mate.Just go one day at a time and youll be okay.Im about 2 stone heavier for it but i can breath again,good luck.
Old 28 May 2005, 02:26 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

I shat myself when me and the wife worked out how much we spent a month on cigs £300

We both have given up for 3 months now so good luck
Old 28 May 2005, 09:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Over 5 years now..

did the cold turkey method....

the cramps and nausea were enough to convince me never to restart!!

have had .5 of a *** in the time i gave up (bereavement)

still keep a respectfull distance, they still have deep seated cravings..

bout oncce a year??

M
Old 29 May 2005, 12:46 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

yea I smoked for a while, probably a couple years. Not that long actually, and always said i was only gonna smoke for a bit and knew that I should be stopping. So one day I just stopped, because I wanted to. Had a bit of a craving for about 5 days then all gone and forgotten about. Youve got to accept that your gonna be clucking for a *** (moreso the longer you've been smoking) and that you should just really want to stop and have will power. Forget the rest and itll go away.
Old 29 May 2005, 01:00 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

iam on 6 months now, smoking 20yrs and 30/35 per day dont even want one now.the wifes the same as me only she has put alot of weight on since giving up smoking (she's a bit peed off with it)lol.
Old 29 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Patriot
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Smoked for 30yrs and have managed to stay of them for 3 months now, patches in decreasing strength and the fruit or mint nicorette gum which tastes better than the square pices of compressed *** ends that were originally on sale.
Keep it up, the coughing stops and the wheezing....brilliant.

Martin
Old 29 May 2005, 01:16 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Many thanks to all for your good wishes and support.

I think patches/gum do work(its been clinically proven hence available on the NHS) but needs the right attitude too, as mentioned.

I'm glad to see so many of you have succeeded, makes me feel I can do it too. Still have a few times in the day when I could murder a ciggie despite the gum but I'm sure it'll pass. Have already been to the pub twice to prove I can resist the greatest trigger.

Many thanks again to you all for the kind words. I'll keep you updated!!

Deep
Old 29 May 2005, 04:58 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cold Turkey did it for me

Old 29 May 2005, 06:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I quit 3 yrs ago - cost me a few pounds, but what's a fat **** compared to needing an oxygen bottle to walk...

NEVER EVER have 'just one' - it is totally all or nothing. That is an absolute.

Good one and maintain your will and self respect and DO IT

D
Old 29 May 2005, 08:01 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Never quite understood why ex smokers all put on weight. But for the last week I've been stuffing my face!! The way I see it though is that I can always exercise more and lose the weight

Deep
Old 30 May 2005, 09:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Deep

Good luck mate

Brendan
Old 30 May 2005, 09:49 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Deep...I'll be joining you in a couple of weeks

I stopped for a week a while back, and after 5 days I felt mint, loads of energy,food tasted better,more enthusiasm in the morning etc. My mistake was trying to stop before a holiday not ideal

good luck mate
Old 30 May 2005, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Stick with it Deep, its hard but well worth it.

Les
Old 31 May 2005, 09:52 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Keep at it Deep, it will be soooo nice to be free of the addiction

I went cold turkey about five years ago after being a heavy smoker for over 20 years and have never been tempted back, in fact I can't believe I liked something so revolting for so long

Good luck and stick with it

Sal.
Old 31 May 2005, 10:35 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

God luck Singh.

Dont be like most smokers,weak minded and feeble.Show that you have a bit of steel about you and stick with it.

Old 31 May 2005, 12:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Deep

Go out and buy Allen Carr's book, The Easyway to stop smoking.

It makes total sense and made it a relative walk in the park when I stopped (after 20yrs)
Old 31 May 2005, 08:47 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the support guys and gals.
Old 31 May 2005, 09:03 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
Deep

Go out and buy Allen Carr's book, The Easyway to stop smoking.

It makes total sense and made it a relative walk in the park when I stopped (after 20yrs)
Agreed, twenty years smoking and found it pretty easy to give up after reading the book...

Quick Reply: Anybody else giving up smoking?