Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2005, 06:56 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Land

Hello

Got the opportunity to obtain an excellent plot of land

BUT the problem i have is that there is no planning permission as yet been applied for.

The land does have an access road but then its got another road that takes you to the land if you get what am saying like an extended driveway

It also has the services at the main access road

Now the question i have is ------- Its very near commerical land & i think it is tbh but can this be changed ???

Its also on the outskirts of town so kinda half countryside !

Without jumping in & buying the land

What are the chances of changing the use of the land to ... i dont no the word habitable

Sorry in advance if its a load of gobble de gook but ... its all i know

TIA

Stephen
Old 27 May 2005, 06:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Oh & as for plan for a house

Anyone know of any good sites

Cheers
Old 27 May 2005, 07:09 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

ring you local council and speak to the planning department.

Ask them what the land is currently designated as? commercial etc etc. then ask about the current development plan and what restrictions or issues are there in relation to getting the above category changed to residential. and also whether any similar land has been sold and developed on recently.

Mark
Old 27 May 2005, 07:16 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

If say the land is good to go

Do the council determine what size of house i can build ??
Old 27 May 2005, 07:27 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

I can't remember the exact word but it's something like 'lock tide' or 'land tide' thisi s where the guy selling you the land holds onto a stip say 1 meter wide but the langht of the plot, basically where your car would cross going onto the driveway.

some land owners used to do this and then command a premium to sell this on.

Why don't you talk very nicely to the chap at the planning department and ask him to meet with you on site for his/her professional opinion.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:38 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

WARNING

Be VERY careful about buying land without OPP as its not always straight forward to obtain planning permission.
If it was a plot of land between other housing then its got an excellent chance of being granted planning permission. But if its on the outskirts of a town or village then it may be outside of the permitted residential development area. The border for which sometimes can cut through the garden of a house on a large plot to prevent further development.

Contact the council and speak to them before you consider buying land. They can also tell you if the land has previousley been refused planning permission.

And don't believe these companies selling land as investments, its all bo11ocks!
They will try to sell you agricultural land for 10 times its real value and con you into believing it will one day obtain planning permission and so increase in value overnight. If that was the case why doesn't that company just by all the land and sit back and wait for the profit to come rolling in.
A plot of gold my @rse!

OOPS, sorry to go slightly off topic, but I've heard of people falling for it!

Bob (no I haven't fallen for it)
Old 27 May 2005, 07:39 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can actually put in for planning permission without owning the land ,
Old 27 May 2005, 10:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
you can actually put in for planning permission without owning the land ,
but why would you want to as the owner gets the benfit of the uplift. No, buy the land ON CONDITION OF SUCCESSFUL OPP. Job done
Old 27 May 2005, 10:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

4X4 Bob i hope yours goes all well

The rest thanks

I will contact the council on tuesday & see what the deal is
Old 28 May 2005, 12:36 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Obtain the deeds from the land registry, it's vital to establish any complications such as:
Access - pedestrian or pedestrian & vehicular, any rights held by third parties ?
(If you don't own the access you can't influence the state of it, you can merely pass through, it could turn into a pot holed mud swap.)

Restrictive covenants - might have a "no buildings" clause, whereby you would have to buy this out, IF the holder is receptive.
Useage - again you might need to buy it out if it specifically details acceptable uses.

Be v careful & get a solictor to explian what you're buying & what you can use it for, the planning potential is a different issue.
(Being nosey - interested to know the rough location & cost per acre - PM if you want.)

D
Old 28 May 2005, 01:48 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

We've got a plot of land, with outline planning permission in a desirable part of Pontefract within commuting distance of Leeds and we're having trouble shifting it. To be fair we're wanting to sell our semi with it and that's what's putting pro builders off I guess but you'd think we'd be able to sell to someone who's looking to do a self-build cos they can live in the semi while they build their house then sell the semi on.

Trouble is the estate agents handling it are ****e. GF's mum went in to see them on a spy mission the other day, asked about the house in the window and the woman said "Oh it's got a bit of land but it's not big enough for a house..."

WTF! It's got planning permission for a 3 bed detached and almost got PP for 2 town houses, just needs an ammendment to move them further from a sycamore tree in the corner of the plot. Stupid bitch, wonder how many people have been put off by her!