Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod (20gb) V Creative Zen

Over to scoobynet - which is the best?
Old 27 May 2005, 04:34 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Creative is cheaper and does the job quite nicely (I used to have a 60gb one), but the ipod (I've switched to a 60gb ipod photo) does the job much nicer. Much better battery life as well.
Old 27 May 2005, 04:34 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

ipods are ****e have 2 of them waste of money only play one format and have loads of other issues which means I hate them with a passion. Don't waste your money on one of those heaps of ****e. creative much better
Old 27 May 2005, 04:35 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So, there you have it.
Old 27 May 2005, 04:41 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

What a well balanced and accurate review Luan.

creative plays 3 format (wav. wma and mp3).
iPod plays 3 formats (wav, aac, and mp3), .

Creative Zen 60gb battery life about 7-8 hours if you're lucky.
Ipod photo 60Gb battery life about 15-16 hours.

What are these other "issues" that you refer to? I've had no trouble at all with my ipod (I switched because the zen died on me). I've found it very reliable, and much better made than the Zen.
Old 27 May 2005, 04:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

why did you have 2 of them if there ****e?

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
ipods are ****e have 2 of them waste of money only play one format and have loads of other issues which means I hate them with a passion. Don't waste your money on one of those heaps of ****e. creative much better
Old 27 May 2005, 04:43 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

<snip poor grammer> only play one format <snip even worse grammar>
They play mp3s and AACs, so you're inaccurate, misinformed, wrong, etc.
Old 27 May 2005, 04:44 PM
Coopz
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys - keep it coming!
Old 27 May 2005, 04:47 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
So, there you have it.
LOL
Old 27 May 2005, 04:51 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sony?

I have a 1st gen NWHD-1 and I find it hard to fault it. The brushed ali case is far more stylish than the ipod. The only gripe I have is that it converts to it's native atrac format. The new versions NWHD-3 and NWHD-5 run MP3 and WMA with no conversion.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:03 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Creative Zen Touch has a 24hr battery life.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:12 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

mine insists on converting everything to aac which media player won't play so I then need two copies of a CD on the hard drive. I have two ipods becuase rather than change CD's I use one in a bar and one in a restauront but the two do not work off one PC with out wiping all the songs off whe plugging the other in. I-tunes is a load of ****e for more reasons than I can be botherd to explain.
Both ipods I have have been completely ****e and almost every other player on the market would have been better for what I wanted to use them for.

The tragic defensive posts from people on here just proves to me that the people who like them are sados that probably have a relationship with theirs still have the crappy white earphones (one set of mine broke after three days btw) so all the other saddo i-pod using geeks can recognise that they are part of the I-pod tosser club.
Old 27 May 2005, 10:24 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Lua , your iPod isn't converting anything, iTunes is and that is a preference which you can change in about er, 2 seconds, so you can hardly blame it for your inability to look at the instructions.

You are certainly in a minority with your views on iTunes see:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...windows+review

I had one of the older 20gb models for a year which i gave to my sister almost a year ago, she still uses it daily. I now have a 60 iPod photo and my girlfriend has had a mini for over a year. All three have not caused me once single whimper of trouble.

Thanks for categorising me into your 'iPod tosser club" I've never felt so proud, a tear has appeared in my eye, thank you.
Old 28 May 2005, 08:25 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Just luv my pod ...............
Old 28 May 2005, 10:05 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

iTunes is a load of ****e for more reasons than I can be bothered to explain.
It's more likely that you're not actually capable of doing so, if your other posts are anything to go by...

Coopz my iPod has been great, but I'm sure the Creative is more than capable. I reckon some people are put off the iPod because of its popularity, but this seminal product is still the best IMO

Luan was right about the headphones though
Old 28 May 2005, 10:32 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

We have 2 ipods and they work fine off the same pc, you just havent got a clue what you are doing
Old 28 May 2005, 01:13 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

So I got two Ipods which were ****e and did not work. I threw one in a drawer and got an I-river that worked perfectly hence Ipods are ****e Iriver is good. If you like your saddo ipod fine. For me it was ****e. WMA is the best format for me to use and the ****ty ipod does not play it.
Old 28 May 2005, 01:15 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coopz
Over to scoobynet - which is the best?
Dont bother with the ipods, over priced and over hyped.. Go with the zen. cheaper also
J
Old 28 May 2005, 01:23 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

So I got two Ipods which were ****e and did not work. I threw one in a drawer and got an I-river that worked perfectly hence Ipods are ****e Iriver is good. If you like your saddo ipod fine. For me it was ****e. WMA is the best format for me to use and the ****ty ipod does not play it.
So why did you but an iPod if you wanted to use wma?

Anyway, if you've thrown it in the drawer, can I have it
Old 28 May 2005, 01:35 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...1&page=1&pp=20
Old 28 May 2005, 01:45 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I work for a company that sells iPods, iRivers and the Creatives Zens and I get to play with them all day to test them, IMHO they all have there pluss points and there minus points, there is not one player out there that does it all.
I feel that a lot of people buy the iPods as they are very extremely well marketed by Apple and they want to be seen with the "latest toy". But the build quality is not good, the sound is barely adequate and they are the least updatable of them all. Software is pretty poor as well Stick with the standard heaphones and you might as well have a sign attached to your back say "mug me for my iPod" - Dont get me started on iTunes - buggy rubbish I would expect to be marketed by Microshaft !
iRivers are good but are a tad bulky and look a bit dull at the side of the iPods, but good solid build and more fatures than a standard 20G iPod.
For my money I would (and have) bought a 20G Creative Zen - as stated above 24h battery life, no rubbish iTunes software, decent sound out of the box but a set on Sony EX71SL earphones has sharpened it up no end, OK it looks a little like a iPod wannabe- but much better built and I beleive of you shop around a bit cheaper as well - And you dont be classed as a sheep for beliving the marketing hype !

Richard
Old 28 May 2005, 03:04 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Dont get me started on iTunes - buggy rubbish I would expect to be marketed by Microshaft !
LOL, did an iPod kill your cat or something?
Old 28 May 2005, 05:25 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

ever considered the possibility of an alternative to the two which you have suggested?

irivers are allegedly the big contenders to ipod and i have the mini 5gb version which contends with the ipod mini, very nice piece of kit AND colour screen, only 180! but i think irivers biggest mp3 is a 40gb h340 i believe, colour screen also but well worth the money, supposedly you can play videos on the h-series with firmware downloaded from the iriver main site, always a good extra to have.
Old 28 May 2005, 07:46 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

i have a 60gig zen jukebox and have never had a problem with battery, screen or output from it. i am only interested in mp3 and wma so it suits me down to the ground. would like it a bit smaller though.

cheers

sinky
Old 28 May 2005, 09:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the 20GB Creative Zen Touch with Sony MDR-EX71 headphones as the ones supplied with the Zen are utter sh!te. Battery lasts on average 20 hours and sound quality is exellent. Tried my friends 20GB iPod with my Sony's, and the sound was way too bassy and muffulled and that with the bass and other sound enhancements turned off. The Zen is slightly larger than the iPod and is well built, feels solid in your hands, though the controls are easier to use on the iPod.
Old 29 May 2005, 09:42 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
But the build quality is not good
Care to elaborate? Mine seems very well built...
Old 29 May 2005, 11:32 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I feel that a lot of people buy the iPods as they are very extremely well marketed by Apple and they want to be seen with the "latest toy". But the build quality is not good, the sound is barely adequate and they are the least updatable of them all. Software is pretty poor as well Stick with the standard heaphones and you might as well have a sign attached to your back say "mug me for my iPod" - Dont get me started on iTunes - buggy rubbish I would expect to be marketed by Microshaft !
iRivers are good but are a tad bulky and look a bit dull at the side of the iPods, but good solid build and more fatures than a standard 20G iPod.
For my money I would (and have) bought a 20G Creative Zen - as stated above 24h battery life, no rubbish iTunes software, decent sound out of the box but a set on Sony EX71SL earphones has sharpened it up no end, OK it looks a little like a iPod wannabe- but much better built and I beleive of you shop around a bit cheaper as well - And you dont be classed as a sheep for beliving the marketing hype !
IMHO iTunes is the best software available and I've never experienced a bug on either my PCs or MAC. Mugging? Ipods start at £79 and evryone has them these days so you're more of a target for your mobile phone. The build quality of iPods is also exemplary, the only real compaint has ever been around battery life of older models.

Sound barely adequate? Seems to be in disagreement with every review out there, including proper audiophile oriented magazines.
Old 29 May 2005, 12:07 PM
Synthesiser Patel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The tragic defensive posts from people on here just proves to me that the people who like them are sados that probably have a relationship with theirs still have the crappy white earphones (one set of mine broke after three days btw) so all the other saddo i-pod using geeks can recognise that they are part of the I-pod tosser club.
Hit the nail on the head.

Creative Zen players s**t on ipods from a great height on every count.

Old 29 May 2005, 01:12 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Has anyone else noticed that those who own MP3 players that aren't iPods posts seem to be very annoyed with the iPod and that most just seem to resort to name calling? Its almost as if you are trying to justify your purchase decision by slagging the competition rather than expressing the benefits of your own player.

I wonder why that is?
Old 29 May 2005, 05:59 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I think iPods are like BMW's. Many are bought for the 'image' and ignorance of other products out there. However, this can't disguise the fact that they are great products.

Quick Reply: iPod (20gb) V Creative Zen