Scientology

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 02:56 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scientology

Hello

Has anyone on here had any dealings with Scientologists or Applied Scholastics (based on L Ron Hubbard's writings)?

There is a private school near where I live that uses his teaching methods as it's basis, and I am looking to send my daughter there.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 26 May 2005, 03:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Aren't Scientologists the nutball church that think god is actually ET? Got John Travolta and few other Hollywood A listers on the books?
Old 26 May 2005, 03:01 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yup - they are: http://www.iasmembership.org/#start
Old 26 May 2005, 03:03 PM
brezhnev
Scooby Regular

If you want to get rich, start a religion.

Ron Hubbard did exactly that.
Old 26 May 2005, 03:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brezhnev
If you want to get rich, start a religion.

Ron Hubbard did exactly that.
Seems he is loosing out to a new one "fictionology"
Old 26 May 2005, 03:11 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what cracks me up about religions is . they can't all be right !!! so there are quite a few who are going to be mightily dissappiointed
Old 26 May 2005, 03:14 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
what cracks me up about religions is . they can't all be right !!! so there are quite a few who are going to be mightily dissappiointed
I'd argue that in the lack of any substantive evidence, none of them are right and nobody will be dissapointed becuase you won't know anything about the end when it comes anyway. I may yet be proved wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 26 May 2005, 03:17 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

How do crackpot religions set up "schools" anyway? Sounds like a legalised cult!
Old 26 May 2005, 03:28 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Scientology’s beliefs in an Ultimate Reality that transcends the material world include its concepts of the thetan, the spiritual world (the seventh dynamic) and the Supreme Being (the eighth dynamic).
W.T.F
Old 26 May 2005, 03:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'd argue that in the lack of any substantive evidence, none of them are right and nobody will be dissapointed becuase you won't know anything about the end when it comes anyway. I may yet be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

If you are correct it won't matter and if you are wrong you are feked for eternity.

I plan to take up religion when I am about 85
Old 26 May 2005, 03:54 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
W.T.F
god is ET
Old 26 May 2005, 03:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
If you are correct it won't matter and if you are wrong you are feked for eternity.

I plan to take up religion when I am about 85
But which religion. Only one can be right and it may be one that is no longer practiced or has never been practiced. Better to be neutral IMO and play the "well you made me this way so it's your fault I didn't worship you" card if it all goes pair shaped
Old 26 May 2005, 03:57 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

http://www.xenu.net/

Don't do it.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:00 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

We've had a scientologist move in over the road from us. She wanted something "strange" done with the light bulbs and/or switches in her house.

She seems nice enough - I'm sure at the first BBQ of the season we'll get the low down on this "religion".

Tom Cruise was on J Ross banging on about this (I Think) and it all sounded a bit odd !
Old 26 May 2005, 04:05 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Suicide pact anyone?
Old 26 May 2005, 04:06 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

It's essentialy a load of pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo designed to separate fools from their money. If you send your daughter there, guess what that makes you?

M
Old 26 May 2005, 04:13 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I've read L Ron's "Dianetics -- the modern science of mental health" which is the Scientology bible ....

It's frankly a load of half-arsed undergraduate psychology ideas dressed up as a solution to all your mental & physical problems.

The basic principle is that we all have "engrams" -- strong experiences which are imprinted on your mind and influence behaviour. For example -- your mum smacked you hard as a kid and said you were useless, and this imprints on your mind. So every time you're in a stressful situation, this bad experience comes back to haunt you and you underperform.

Scientology practice supposedly removes these engrams, and you become progressively "clear".

So by bunging them a load of cash and holding onto a dodgy electrical meter you can sort all your problems out
Old 26 May 2005, 04:14 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

You may find this interesting.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/

Not a cult or religion but an organisation that 'supports and represents people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs'.

BTW. I'm not a member.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:19 PM
Angry
Scooby Regular

Their HQ is about half a mile from my house, fricking weirdos.

My sister was good mates with a girl who lived in the house behind us , until she and her family started trying to show my sister the light

Same thing happened to me at a programming job I had working for a small family run company, I was late a couple of times and was whinging about being stuck living at home etc, the boss took me aside and asked if I'd like to accompany them to Scino HQ for a meeting

Handed in my notice the following day and never looked back!!

Checkout www.clambake.org

SC is just a pyramid scheme designed to con money out of you, you take personality tests which are supposed to tell you the areas in which you are lacking as a person, then they recomend in house self improvement courses at a cost, which increases as you progress up the chain.

Of course as you reach each new level you take a fresh personality test which of course says you need to do another set of pricey courses.

Last edited by Angry; 26 May 2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:32 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

L Ron Hubbard was a science fiction writer, I've read the decology "Mission Earth" - he's a very good writer, and the underlying theme is written from the perspective of another race spying on and invading earth.

From the outside, they discover earth's greatest weapon, and start to use it on earth against them...

This weapon? Public Relations....

It doesn't take a genius to see the link between this "fiction" and the promotion of his scientology ideas.....
Old 26 May 2005, 04:35 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, reading the Illustrated Guide on clambake, sounds as though they believe that some ET is fecking with our minds and their "religion" is the only one that can cleanse our mind?

Tell me that I've read it wrong, and that people are not really accepting this stuff.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:38 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

But which religion. Only one can be right and it may be one that is no longer practiced or has never been practiced. Better to be neutral IMO and play the "well you made me this way so it's your fault I didn't worship you" card if it all goes pair shaped
If I make it to 85 I was thinking Monday Catholic, Tuesday Protestant, Wednesday Jewish, Thursday Buddist, Friday Islam, Saturday would have to be rotated between the weird(er) ones (door knockers and the likes) and then Sunday would be my day of rest, where I catch up on the drinking and gambling after a tough Saturday
Old 26 May 2005, 04:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Ok, reading the Illustrated Guide on clambake, sounds as though they believe that some ET is fecking with our minds and their "religion" is the only one that can cleanse our mind?

Tell me that I've read it wrong, and that people are not really accepting this stuff.
Sorry - you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:46 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

To a lot of people, Religion (in all its forms) simply fails at too many levels. Therefore, there will always be an alternative to fill in the gaps. Whether Science or Humanism, people will relate to a groups fundamental teachings.

Scientology, Humanism and the various religions have the same basic tenets. The wish to become a decent, fulfilled and better person. Where it all goes pear shaped is in defining what makes you this good person. To some it's the acquisition of wealth, to others its blowing yourself up in the middle of a school.

As a basis, striving to become a better person is ultimately what each of us wants? Getting there without some form of guidance is beyond most.

Choosing the right help is probably harder..
Old 26 May 2005, 04:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sorry - you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
OK, I'm a Catholic (baptised, confirmed, all that stuff) but I'm not some nutter, heck, only appear in churches for weddings, funeral's and stuff like that. I don't see why you have to go somewhere special to pray if God is supposedly always listening, anyway, I digress.

Now, some will call my beliefs odd/strange/wrong, and possibly as far fetched as Scientology, however, maybe I'm wired up wrong, but believing that some Alien is messing with our minds and their way is the only way to resolve this is, well, "very silly" is probably the nicest way I could put it.

It does make me chuckle when I think people are following a "religion" and I use that term very loosely here, as I could use "joke" or "cult" if I was being unkind, that was founded by a science fiction writer.

what's next, a religion that follows a mysterious force, oh, wait a second... :d Lol, I really think George Lucas should get in on this, he's got geeks obessing about SW, all they need is a tiny push to turn them into worshipers, oh, hang on again :d lol.

Takes all sorts I guess. Would be interesting to see if anyone on here is a member of CoS and if so, why, and how it works for them. Always nice to have another perspective to the debate
Old 26 May 2005, 04:56 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan C

As a basis, striving to become a better person is ultimately what each of us wants? Getting there without some form of guidance is beyond most.

Choosing the right help is probably harder..
I'm not sure about that.

The basis of life, IMO, is to get through it having as little negative and as much positive impact upon those that you interact with. I think most people can tell the obvious rights and wrongs such as murder, stealing etc, after that things become a little more grey, but I'd like to think most people can work it out and come to the least negative impact solution with relative ease.

It seems many people need a crutch of some form to help them along the way. The Christians seem to need the threat of eternity in hellfire and the Muslims the promise of a batch of virgins to keep them on the straight an narrow. Having that support, in itself, is not a bad thing, it is the way that moral guidance is often delivered with bile and bigotry that seems to go against the very essence of what religion is supposed to stand for.
Old 26 May 2005, 05:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OK, I'm a Catholic (baptised, confirmed, all that stuff) but I'm not some nutter, heck, only appear in churches for weddings, funeral's and stuff like that. I don't see why you have to go somewhere special to pray if God is supposedly always listening, anyway, I digress.

Now, some will call my beliefs odd/strange/wrong, and possibly as far fetched as Scientology, however, maybe I'm wired up wrong, but believing that some Alien is messing with our minds and their way is the only way to resolve this is, well, "very silly" is probably the nicest way I could put it.

It does make me chuckle when I think people are following a "religion" and I use that term very loosely here, as I could use "joke" or "cult" if I was being unkind, that was founded by a science fiction writer.

what's next, a religion that follows a mysterious force, oh, wait a second... :d Lol, I really think George Lucas should get in on this, he's got geeks obessing about SW, all they need is a tiny push to turn them into worshipers, oh, hang on again :d lol.

Takes all sorts I guess. Would be interesting to see if anyone on here is a member of CoS and if so, why, and how it works for them. Always nice to have another perspective to the debate
Have a read of what you have written, have a look at how easy you seem to find it to ridicule other religions, how silly it all seems. You may now see why atheists seem to find your belief in your religion equally amusing.
Old 26 May 2005, 05:06 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

A very good point there. We laugh at them, they laugh at us. No one demonitation has got it right, don't think they ever will
Old 26 May 2005, 05:07 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

that's the thing about religions, you can laugh at them all with equal disdain !!
Old 26 May 2005, 05:09 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

A very good point there. We laugh at them, they laugh at us. No one demonitation has got it right, don't think they ever will
Well not while there is a god involved in it all anyway

Quick Reply: Scientology