Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Personnel Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 02:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personnel Advice?

MrsREV is currently on maternity leave and has officially asked work for a job share so she can work part time. A colleague of hers is also on maternity and also wants to go on a job share when she returns.

You'd think it was easy, wouldn't you? Work have agreed to the job share (great, makes life easier for everyone) BUT have said that because MrsREV is due back at work 6 weeks before her colleague she has to either work full time for 6 weeks, stay at home unpaid for 6 weeks or her collegue has to come back to work 6 weeks early and (and this is the bit I'm asking for advice on) they say it's up to MrsREV and her friend to decide.

Can someone who works in a personnel type role confirm if this is right? Surely they can't just dump the problem on the girls to sort out?

From a child care point of view, it's not going to be easy to organise full time care for a 6 month old baby due to limited spaces for babies (even if it is just for 6 weeks) and I can't beleive that legally they can force MrsREV to go without pay for 6 weeks or force the other girl to cut her maternity leave short.

Bear in mind that MrsREV has persued this job share since before she left on her maternity leave, so the company have had over 6 months to organise things. Have they basically covered their ***** by agreeing to the job share and can do what they like prior to the job share starting?
Old 26 May 2005, 05:06 PM
juicy1
Scooby Regular

and I can't beleive that legally they can force MrsREV to go without pay for 6 weeks
What can't you believe about it? They should pay her for 6 weeks work she doesn't do? I assume she has claimed the full 26weeks SMP?
Old 26 May 2005, 05:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

They don't even have to agree to the job share. I think they are bing more than fair, and offering every option - AT the minute they probably have someone covering for Mrs REV. They can hardly force that person to go part time for 6 weeks and then leave when the other sharer comes back. After all, the person who is currently covering does not benefit at all, and will probably need to find another job soon anyway. Mrs REV and the job sharer are the only people benefiting from this, so why should either the company or the current incumbent be penalised?