Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Will an Orange 3G sim work in a non-3G phone?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 12:11 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will an Orange 3G sim work in a non-3G phone?

I've just spoken with Orange and they told me that my Orange 3G sim won't work in a non-3G phone so I tried my sim in a non-3G phone and guess what? It worked.

So, what's the real story here? Are Orange telling me porkies in order to extract more money out of me for an early upgrade/sim card change??
Old 26 May 2005, 12:49 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, just spoken to another department at Orange and they say my 3G sim card will work in a 2G phone. The plot thickens.

All I want to do is buy a V3 and use that instead of my Z1010 when I fancy a change.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:05 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

3G SIMs are supposed to be different to 2G ones, for starters the encryption for 3G is improved and the SIM card plays a major part in this. However early 3G phones might use the 2G ones or they may have hybrid cards

Try it, you shouldn't be able to do any damage, borrow an unlocked 2G phone and try your SIM in it.

As a developer in the mobile telecoms industry I do know a bit about this stuff but haven't looked into the SIM card side of it for a while.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:38 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

USIM (3G) architecture is different to a SIM (2G)
Old 26 May 2005, 02:08 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

The 3G card works in my 2G old phone and, as far as the last bod at Orange is concerned if I do an upgrade with them to a V3 I'll get issued a new 2G SIM. He told me I wouldn't have to register this and could carry on using my old 3G SIM in both phones.

BUT, I'm not sure if I trust him, I'm getting a bad feeling about doing this. Call me cynical but it worries me when I get two opposing answers at opposite ends of the spectrum from the same company I use my phone for business so can't afford for it not to work.

So, should I take the plunge and put my faith in the second bod I spoke to or shall I ring again and speak to a third person? Will I ever get a definitive answer from them??

That's a rhetorical question by the way - I suspect the answer is no, hence my asking the great fount of all knowledge that is Scoobynet
Old 27 May 2005, 12:09 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Orange are notorious for giving different answers to the same question. In my experience, do what you want and it's all good

Having had an Orange account for about 6 years and also doing business connections for Orange a while ago I know what a pain they can be !!

Jai