Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New private plate - what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 08:48 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New private plate - what to do??

Hi all, as an anniversary present, the missus has bought me a private plate

She's paid the £80 transfer fee, so is it just a case of getting some plates made up, phoning the insurance comapny to get my policy amended and replacing the tax disc? Will I lose any tax?

Sorry for the questions, I'm new to this private reg lark
Old 25 May 2005, 09:11 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you wont lose any tax. Take all your docs ie tax discs, V5, etc down to your local Vehicle registration office. They will do all the necessary paperwork for you including reissuing you with a new tax disc bearing the new registration number for the period left on the old licence.

This is the best way forward but be prepared for a long wait at these offices, especially if you go at month end/month start!

WB
Old 25 May 2005, 09:14 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

done this a few times now (with changing cars now and then) and it always seems a lot more complicated the first time.
i went into local dvla office, took a ticket, queued for about 45mins. saw an admin lady who went through paperwork, walked off with the tax disc and then five mins later came back with another tax disc and a letter from dvla (in case you're pulled over before your tax disc and reg plate match). can't remember what they do about the v5, but all in all it's a pretty quick turn-around and you just call your insurers on the way out of the office, all done. amended insurance arrives in the post, by which time you've probably got your new plates on anyway and then you'll forget about it until you have to transfer it off the car when you sell (which again, is pretty simple)
hth
Old 25 May 2005, 09:33 AM
silverscoobydan
Scooby Regular

The first time I changed my private plate I also waited ages at the local office. The second time I simply phoned them up, and asked for all the paperwork to be posted to me. I sent everything off (transfer doc, v5 but not the tax disc). Very quicky the green part of the V5 came back. A few days later the new doc's arrived with an envelope to post the old tax disc back to them. The V5 arrived from DVLA a week or so later. Dead easy and no waiting around.
Dan
Old 25 May 2005, 09:58 AM
scooby11
Scooby Regular

I would agree with the above, POST is definately the best way to do it, unless you are in a great rush, or planning to go to the DVLA local office at 7.30 and be the first one there.

IIRC You need to post the paperwork (forms, v5, MOT, etc) to your local office, not central DVLA, the local office will write back to you within a few days with a new tax disc. You'll then need to send your current tax disc to DVLA to get it cancelled, if you dont do this they will not issue your revised V5. The revised v5 comes in about 2-4 weeks.

Timing depends on how busy the local office is.

Quite a simple process really, but do remember to call your insurance before driving the car with the new plate.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:27 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Thanks peeps. How do I know where my local DVLA office is?

Cheers
Old 26 May 2005, 01:32 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

D'oh forget that. Just found out by going on the DVLA website

Thanks for all the help