Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Official FIA formula 1 survey

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 09:54 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official FIA formula 1 survey

Help shape the future of the sport:

http://www.fia-amd-survey2005.com/
Old 23 May 2005, 09:58 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

ohhh heard Jim mention this yesterday. Wonder if they'll take any notice at all?!
Glad they're changing the qualifying format back, although as Frank Williams said, I wish they'd go back to the hour long 12 lap open qually sessions that they had originally.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:40 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Lol..

Survey suspended due to overwhelming interest
Old 23 May 2005, 11:41 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
although as Frank Williams said, I wish they'd go back to the hour long 12 lap open qually sessions that they had originally.
Yep, I'd second that, nothing like 16 cars panicking for a qualifying time when it suddenly pisses it down half way through only problem is usually 30 minutes inactivity at the start. Perhaps they should force everyone to do one run at a set time and then the others they can do when they want.
Old 23 May 2005, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would agree with Frank Williams, even if his team do treat their World champions so badly when they win!

That was always the best spectacle and I still remember Hill and Schumacher trying to get the best lap in at the last possible moment.

I really enjoyed the race at Monaco yesterday, who was it who said you can't overtake there? Super drive by Raikkonen, but I felt sorry for the Renaults with the tyres getting visibly more like real slicks. Good to see Heidfeld and Webber on the podium though.

Les
Old 23 May 2005, 12:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

That survey isn't a very good advert for AMD I tried to get on it yesterday after the race, and failed. I thought it might be because I was on a Mac, so I tried again at work on a PC. It was much worse. Some questions I had to click "back" and resubmit upto 30 times, but I eventually got all my answers in after nearly an hour (beats working ).

Agree with the 1hr open qually. Maybe they should insist that every driver must do at least 2 laps in each 3rd (20mins) of the hour. I'd also like to see the return of proper slicks to give back grip in low speed corners and increase overtaking possibilities. Top speeds could be limited by gear ratio regulations. Get rid of traction control, and semi auto 'box's with no auto pre-selection.
Old 23 May 2005, 12:50 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Bring back turbos

Difficult one, F1 has always been touted as a hotbed of automotive development, with some of the technology eventually filtering down onto road cars e.g. traction control. So from an engineers perspective all electonic aids should be allowed, aerodynamics should not be restricted so heavily, none of this an engine shall last x number of races, bring back tyre changes, slicks etc.

However there are two considerations, driver safety and spectator enjoyment.

With all the driver aids, greater downforce, more powerful engines, etc. the speeds and grip levels would be phenominal. Great until it all goes wrong. Modern F1 is all about safety, and thankfully there haven't been that many serious incidents over the last few years. There still must be an element of danger just because of the sheer spped involved but then the drivers don't get paids millions a year for not taking risks.

The second point is that with all the above the team with the greatest budget and the best technical team will always be out in front. Not good for the spectators.

A balance has to be achieved, perhaps from a spectators viewpoint things are going the right way this season, there have been a few exciting races thus far and the lack of Ferrari dominance means that for once another team/driver has a realistic shot at the title.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cut back drastically on the surface area & incidence angle of the wings, bring back proper slicks, ban traction control, and let them build engines as powerful as they want to. The need for the tyres and fuel to last then become the limiting factors.

More power will not make the straight line speeds any higher, as the cornering speeds will be lower due to the decrease in available downforce. Any race series where the car has more power than traction is going to be entertaining to watch, and will sort the men out from the boys, remember Gilles Villeneuve, Jackie Stewart, et al, wresting with a car that constantly wanted to go somewhere other than they wanted it to

Getting the Bernie and Max show out of the equation wouldn't hurt either

Until the above happens I will show the same amount of interest in the whole thing as I have done for the past 10+ years - **** All

Rossi, Melandri, Gibernau, Toseland, Corser and the rest, THEY know how to put on a show
Old 23 May 2005, 03:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

A few off teh top of my head:

Cars need to be much narrower and possibly shorter...this gives more room on the track to overtake.

Perhaps they should use homologated technology...so we can see some of this stuff appearing in our road cars

Also review the penalty/fine system...the banning of Honda for 2 races over such a small infringement was out of order and overly excessive. Stinks of underhand tactics and favouritism.

Pit to driver radio communications must be public, so the spectators and commmentators can get facts from the horses mouth.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:14 PM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

I have just managed to get through the survey. It takes a while (not helped by the bugs).

I wonder if Bernie will take a look at the results.
Old 23 May 2005, 03:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wonder if Bernie will take a look at the results.
There is more chance of him getting a haircut
Old 23 May 2005, 03:49 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
There is more chance of him getting a haircut
Old 23 May 2005, 03:51 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

I second bring back turbo's - giving the driver the ability to increase the boost for short periods at the loss of fuel and therefore the number of laps available.
Old 24 May 2005, 11:36 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Whats with all the tobacco sponsership questions????

Who cares!! Lets just get rid of driver aids,no traction control,proper manual gearboxes,no pit stops unless to change a puncture,cars fuelled up to run a whole race and none of this jumping 5 cars in the pit stops strategy

And personally i prefer qualifying as the flying hot lap with race fuel,they practise friday and saturday morning anyway.
Old 24 May 2005, 12:10 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Turbo's with the current 2 race engine rule would be interesting. IIRC, they used to turn the boost up during qualifying to the point that some engines went bang as they crossed the line. However, if the driver has to look after the engine, then turning up the boost to overtake etc. might make them think a bit.

I'll probably buy the magazine in August to read the results, as it's clear from the few posts on here that people have common thoughts on the way forward.

Will anything change........ dunno, a lot of that will depend on what happens in the next 12-24 months I guess.
Old 05 June 2005, 02:16 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Rossi, Melandri, Gibernau, Toseland, Corser and the rest, THEY know how to put on a show
This week the FIM have announced that from 06 MotoGP bikes will be reduced to 800cc from 990cc in a bid to reduce accidents, has the malign infleunce of the Bernie & Max show started spreading?
Old 05 June 2005, 06:34 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

1 lap superpole like WSB
can't see by dropping engine size to 800cc will help you stay on the bike , what they going to drop the 125's down to ???