Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Copper gets away with 159MPH and 86 MPH in a 30 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 01:27 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Copper gets away with 159MPH and 86 MPH in a 30

Now im a pretty law abiding Citizen, But haveing watched our Central news tv to see this swine as got away with speeding. All charges dropped. He was caught doing 86MPH in a 30 and 159 on our local motorway ,FFS. What the ***** going on here. This Stinks from top 2 bottom . How many people have been done 4 doing 75 on motorway or 35 in a 30. To say im fuming is and under statement. They wonder why the general public don,t have any faith in the police anymore. He should have lost his job, his licence , everything. Hardship to his family., Bxxxocks, the police wouldn,t give a toss if it was one of us caught speeding. His excuse from is defence was that he was a advanced Driver who was homing his driving skills. Utter Bxxxocks again, theres proberly better drivers on here then him. What would have happened if this twxt had hit a child while he was doing his 86 in the 30 built up are of Telford. That would have proberly been hidden under the vale of police policy and secretness of its ok for us to speed when not on 999 emergencies, but u the general public are NICKED and if u have 12 points bye bye to your licence.

Totaly out of order in my opinion.

sg
Old 18 May 2005, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Was he on a duty call in a police car at the time?

Les
Old 18 May 2005, 01:39 PM
ChrisB

Background:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/4461977.stm
Old 18 May 2005, 01:40 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Nope No Emergency at all, it was a new unmarked Vauxhall Vectra car and he was out trying it out, and by accident he happened to switch on the surveilance equipment. But like i said. No emergency, No other vehicle involved just him
Old 18 May 2005, 01:42 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Thank u ChrisB 4 that
Old 18 May 2005, 01:53 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The thing is, at that time of night he probably wasn't putting anyone other than himself at risk, but the sheer hypocrisy of it stinks beyond measure.

Slightly of topic, but will a standard GSi really do 160mph, ie: 5mph more than a beemer, or was it a modded one?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:54 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Default Policeman escapes prosecution - 159mph on M54!

No - I couldn't believe it either!!
I've just seen this on Midlands Today.

Policeman was doing 159 on the M54 in an unmarked car, and 84 in a 30!
The court let him off - something about practicing his "advanced driving skills"

Don't think it's on the BBC website yet - but here's an article from earlier in the case:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/4466449.stm
http://www.shropshirestar.com/show_a....php?aID=33164

As I say, the case has now closed and he's got off without any prosecution!
Absolutely unbelievable - he should lose his job and his license IMHO.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:55 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he was just enjoying himself safely. Rather than wanting this guy put down shouldn't we all be saying the rest of us should be able to enjoy the same privilege?
Old 18 May 2005, 01:56 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

...although that BBC article says 60mph in a 30...not 86mph.

Pc Milton is also accused of driving at 100mph in a 60mph zone and 60mph in 30mph zones.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NewLabour
Sounds like he was just enjoying himself safely. Rather than wanting this guy put down shouldn't we all be saying the rest of us should be able to enjoy the same privilege?
Exactly. Unfortunately it will never work like that though.

Still, fair play to the guy I say.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:58 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bike riders got jailed for 157 and 152 i think on a dual carriageway recently.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:01 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I was practising my advanced driving on the M40 the other week, didn't make 159 though! The 911 in front was well over 160.

We all know the speeding laws don't apply to the Police and cases like this will make people resent them more than they currently do.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:06 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

No. As 86 in a 30 is wild and crazy. 156mph on an ampty motorway, ok I don't mind that but 86 in a 30 is a licenmse loser full stop.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:10 PM
FirebirdUK
Scooby Regular

Another case of "one rule for them, one for us"...

You do 80mph on the M4 in Wiltshire, you get 3 points and a fine. You drive like an a-hole, and because you're in the police, you get let off!

So unfair...

I was taken to court a few years ago for "crossing double white lines". I didn't commit the offence - I was speeding, and overtook on dashed chevrons. There were two cars in front of me, and as I was passing the first car - it tried to pull out on me (they hadn't seen me) - I beeped the horn to alert it of my presence. Overtook both and thought no more of it.

I had two police officers come to the house to notify me that I had to accompany them to the station for questioning regarding an incident...

I was later interviewed by a lone office - it turns out this officer was the driver of the car that almost pulled into me. Although she was off duty (on her way to work), she still managed to write down my registration and take it further. She couldn't do me for speeding, so came up with the double whites (there were double whites on the same piece of road, but about half a mile away from where I overtook).

I took it to court (had a solicitor representing me) - I ended up with 3 points and £150 fine - the judge found in her ruling because "she presented herself better". More like if they found in my favour, it would be admitting the officer had lied.

Despite being a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists and also a member of the RADA (RoSPAs Advanced Drivers Association), they still took the policewomans word over mine... Grr... I'll calm down again in a minute!
Old 18 May 2005, 02:11 PM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

ok i got it wrong about 86 in a 30, but its still wrong, bloody wrong
Old 18 May 2005, 02:12 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

I can think of 30 speed limits in the UK that would be safe to drive at 60, 70 or 80 in if you picked the right time.

Just because someone sticks a sign up saying 30 doesn't mean anything
Old 18 May 2005, 02:15 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

I can think of 30 speed limits in the UK that would be safe to drive at 60, 70 or 80 in if you picked the right time.

Just because someone sticks a sign up saying 30 doesn't mean anything
Agreed on a to a degree on the level that just cos there is a sign that defines right and wrong, it does not - as you say. However, I cannot think of a 30 that is safe to do any more than, say, 50. I'm confident the same applies to the place in question in this case.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:22 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

It's so hypocritical it's scary

I see nothing wrong with doing 159 on a 3 lane motorway in the right conditions other than if it were a member of the public, regardless of reasoning and qualifications, they would be jailed

But 86 in a 30 is taking the **** in the extreme.

Seeing as a presendance has been set I should now feel confident of getting off the 160 mph on the M45 court case if and when I get pulled for it.

Oh and I seem to remember that 1 of our countries Police Forces tried to convict a Paramedic for doing 100mph on a motorway saying it was irresponsible and illegal, the paramedic is also a highly qualified driver.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:27 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
Oh and I seem to remember that 1 of our countries Police Forces tried to convict a Paramedic for doing 100mph on a motorway saying it was irresponsible and illegal, the paramedic is also a highly qualified driver.
...and that paramedic was making an emergency delivery IIRC.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:28 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

We are all agreed that it smacks of hypocricy but speed in itself isn't 'wrong', some of you people are starting to sound like you've been indoctrinated.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:33 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

86 in a 30 is excessive, I don't know of any 30mph zone that is not in a residential area so no matter what the conditions, time of day etc there is always a possibility of pedestrains, pets, pissheads etc.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:34 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

If the guy was being trained to drive the car at high speed then it's fair play to drive at these speeds. They need to be confident at pursuit driving so how else can they learn ? BUT he wasnt - he had just got a new car and wanted to try it out. This is just not on. 156 mph on any UK road is ridiculous. At that speed a pursuit would be called off in the interests of public safety. This just cannot be justified in any way. To be cleared of all charges, compared to Bikers getting locked up is extraordinary.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:36 PM
NewLabour
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB170
86 in a 30 is excessive, I don't know of any 30mph zone that is not in a residential area so no matter what the conditions, time of day etc there is always a possibility of pedestrains, pets, pissheads etc.
I do, there's a section of dual carriageway on the way into Salford where they put a 30mph limit because during the day there are usually huge traffic jams as you start to reach commuter traffic.

Other than that there is nothing, no junctions, no schools, no houses. It would be safe to do 100mph down it if nobody else was there.

Just because some tw@t stuck a 30mph limit there doesn't mean anything.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:45 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Here's an update confirming that this is true from the BBC's website!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/4559173.stm

I just can't get over it!
Old 18 May 2005, 02:46 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

We are all agreed that it smacks of hypocricy but speed in itself isn't 'wrong', some of you people are starting to sound like you've been indoctrinated.
Speed limits are there for the people that need guidance as to the speeds that are appropriate for the road/conditions. Plenty of people, quite possibly yourself can drive according to those conditions but many cannot and subsequently NEED guidance for their own safety as well as the safety of others.
Old 18 May 2005, 02:51 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Well thats just stupid making a dual carriageway a 30 but it's not necessarily the speed it's the hypocrisy.

So I shalll reword my previous post

86 in a residential area is excessive.

That better ?

It's still a bunch of c*nt
Old 18 May 2005, 02:52 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

We seem to be going off thread here. From what I can see Shropshire guy is not arguing whether speeding is always dangerous but is p*ssed this copper gets off while an ordinary member of the public would have been banged up. And I agree. There was a previous thread about this on NSR. This copper's excuse was that he was testing the car out!!
Old 18 May 2005, 02:57 PM
aceman_uk
Scooby Regular

SHROPSHIRE GUY

Couldnt agree more with the original post....

We can all go on about guidance for those that need it and what the law is there for in the first place.....BUT IT STINKS OF HYPOCRACY...

The thread is about hypocracy...1 law for them and another for the masses...not about why the law is there in the first place etc etc etc

ITS SIMPLY ABOUT THE PRINCIPAL NOT IF'S AND BUT'S...THATS ALL ALOADA CR@P!
IF WE GOT CAUGHT THEN I'D LIKE TO C SOME RESPONSES FROM THOSE THAT ARE TRYING TO JUSTIFY THE MEANS TO WHICH NONE IS REQUIRED.

Just me tuppence.....

ACEMAN
Still enjoy the trials and tribulations of Scooby Ownership.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:09 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Slightly of topic, but will a standard GSi really do 160mph, ie: 5mph more than a beemer, or was it a modded one?
AFAIK, all standard BMW's, Merc's and Audi's are limited to 155mph.

Quick Reply: Copper gets away with 159MPH and 86 MPH in a 30 (merged)