Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Archery

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2005, 08:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Archery

Are there any Archers on here, my nine (they start them at 10) year old has been badgering me for ages about it since having a go a while back, he is a fan of anything that involves projectiles and seems to really want to do this, I have contacted the local club and am waiting for a reply but I was wondering what I need to know before I speak to anyone there, any pitfalls. Is it expensive ?

I will have to join but having had a go myself before it does seem enjoyable.

We went for my brother in laws Stag Night, my other brother in law is a little rotund and also a fan of projectiles, he had done archery at school and had a keen eye so was hitting the target spot on, one of the lads pointed out how well he was doing so I said that he kills everything he eats himself, so the lad said,

'He must kill a f*ck of a lot'
Old 15 May 2005, 09:23 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join with him and usually you both go on a beginners course together, usually 6 - 8 weeks. For all this time you should be using the club gear so no additional cost.

Once you join the club, many clubs offer the loan of equipment for a small fee for an initial period. Again, minor cost.

You will probably want to buy your own gear, can be as little as £300 for a quality outfit.

However, once you get up to county competition level (if you want to shoot competitions), you will be looking at £1500 - £2000 for all the gear for an adult and not much less of a young 'un.

But from then on, it is just a new set of arrows once a year or so at around £100 - £300 plus any club fees. Unless you are a gadget freak, then you will be upgrading everything every year.

After a crap week it is by far the best relaxation there is. You get some fresh air, a little exercise and once into the sport in a big way, once you starting shooting all your troubles melt away.

The sport is very mental but only a little physical. You main aim is to train your body and brain to shoot an arrow without any conscious effort. You keep your conscious side to think about the competition, how you plan to shoot the next round, cor blimey, she has nice legs etc. I.e. once you are good you do everything in your power to just shoot arrows without thinking about it. Your body does learn how to do it on its own, honest.

Cheers

Ian
Old 15 May 2005, 09:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian, thanks for that, very helpful, hoping to hear back soon from the club.

My in laws live on a farm so I was thinking that could be useful for practice.