Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Cameras on M40 @ Warwick!

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2005, 03:18 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Cameras on M40 @ Warwick!

...not been on the M40 for a while. Coming back from Oxford today, got to Warwick services going north, and plod was on the verge pointing a hand-held gun down the motorway! WTF. Sunny, dry day, early afternoon, light traffic, easy bloody target or what. Not sure of my exact speed at the time, but felt like I might have been in the firing line.
Old 11 May 2005, 03:31 PM
ChrisB

Plod being marked car rather than a scamera van?
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

yep, plod mobile - m/way car with all the markings.
paul-s
Scooby Regular

probably eating donuts too !

Ill be driving down there next week so ill be extra vigilant
Old 11 May 2005, 03:46 PM
ChrisB

I drove the M40 in both directions yesterday and didn't see them lurking like that. A day-glo "Highways Agency" 4x4 was causing a mobile traffic jam though
Old 11 May 2005, 03:48 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were gunning on there on Monday too I think They tend to sit on the verge on that stretch quite often and gun the traffic
Old 11 May 2005, 03:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Don't see any problem with that. Traffic policeman able to apply a little discretion etc etc
Old 11 May 2005, 04:04 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Don't see any problem with that. Traffic policeman able to apply a little discretion etc etc
what, on a wed early afternoon, little traffic, good weather???? if they were serious about reducing accidents and applying discretion, why not gun on dangerous a or b roads, instead of taking easy pickings on the m40!!???
Old 11 May 2005, 04:28 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Bodgery,

I believe that if traffic plod laser you and decide that you're going to be nicked, they will give chase and pull you over. Chances are that if this didn't happen, you'll be fine.

I went past the same scenario near Oxford (Thame) services northbound a few weeks ago and have heard nothing and they did not persue. I was doing an indicated 80 at the time, so wouldn't expect a tug. On the M40 you'd be unlucky to get done below 85mph IMHO

Matt
Old 11 May 2005, 05:02 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I got clocked at just under and indicated 100mph on the M40 last year and got nothing more than a shake of a finger and the words of "slow down" mouthed to me. That was a Thursday afternoon in light traffic, sunny day, dry etc. etc. Bring on more tp's if they are going to be like that

I have also driven down the M40 and seen a pair of camera vans on two consecutive bridges, not 500 yards apart gunning traffic.

One scenario makes me respect the police, one doesn't...... can you guess what it is yet
Old 11 May 2005, 06:32 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bodgery
what, on a wed early afternoon, little traffic, good weather???? if they were serious about reducing accidents and applying discretion, why not gun on dangerous a or b roads, instead of taking easy pickings on the m40!!???
But the speed limit is 70mph isn't it, and they are there to enforce it. Now chances are a Traffic Copper is going to take into account the fact that motorways are the safest roads, that the weather conditions are fine and maybe set his limit at 85mph.

How do you know that the rest of his shift was not spent on a local a-b road, they have to cover all roads. How many times have you passed that point and not seen a copper???

I hate mobile talivans as much as the next person, however some people think that as long as the weather is fine it should be ok to speed as much as they like.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:38 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
I hate mobile talivans as much as the next person, however some people think that as long as the weather is fine it should be ok to speed as much as they like.
Correct, now pi*s off back to the hole you came from, you guardian reading, focus group, new labour type.
Old 11 May 2005, 06:45 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Correct, now pi*s off back to the hole you came from, you guardian reading, focus group, new labour type.
LMAO how wrong you are.....lol
Old 11 May 2005, 06:56 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

there could be better things they could be doing rather than sitting there eating and gunning at people.

all that will happen is people slow down when they see the trap then speed up afterwards. it goes nowhere to making people slow down permanently, and just catches out those that don't notice the camera van/marked patrol car. an althogether pointless exercise when they could be used more productively
Old 11 May 2005, 08:44 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Dont moan at this - its nothing new and its got sod all to do with revenue and current 'robo-cam' fleecing. This is proper speed policing using discretion and common sense, targetting those that dont concentrate or drive badly. It should be ENCOURAGED. D
Old 11 May 2005, 10:10 PM
Bodgery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Dont moan at this - its nothing new and its got sod all to do with revenue and current 'robo-cam' fleecing. This is proper speed policing using discretion and common sense, targetting those that dont concentrate or drive badly. It should be ENCOURAGED. D
Oh really, so why use a speed gun then, if the focus is on bad driving and those that don't concentrate?....oh no, that would be too hard. As I said, all they were doing was pointing a gun a various cars and pulling in some cash.

Now, if they'd been in an unmarked car, pulling over people who tailgate, display poor lane discipline, undertaking, agressive driving, etc. I would be all up for that. I was poolting along a speed that may or may not have been above 70mph by a margin that may or may not be above their gun threshold. Who knows? Either way, I didn't spot them as they were hidden away, but I was concentrating and minding my own bloody business!!!

I don't care if you don't agree - I was driving SAFELY!!.
Old 11 May 2005, 10:18 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh really, so why use a speed gun then, if the focus is on bad driving and those that don't concentrate?....oh no, that would be too hard. As I said, all they were doing was pointing a gun a various cars and pulling in some cash.

Now, if they'd been in an unmarked car, pulling over people who tailgate, display poor lane discipline, undertaking, agressive driving, etc. I would be all up for that. I was poolting along a speed that may or may not have been above 70mph by a margin that may or may not be above their gun threshold. Who knows? Either way, I didn't spot them as they were hidden away, but I was concentrating and minding my own bloody business!!!

I don't care if you don't agree - I was driving SAFELY!!.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:06 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular