Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

illegal to slow other traffic due to speed trap

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 01:52 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default illegal to slow other traffic due to speed trap

theres a speed trap near me on a straight 40mph stretch of road. never seen an accident on it in 18yrs. can from one end to another. police are speed trapping hidden in a residential minor road.

would it be illegal for me and a mate to do 38mph in both lanes at the same time?
not like id want to stop anyone being trapped or anything.
Old 05 May 2005, 01:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

about as illegal as me standing outside a shop shouting "dont nick stuff"......and about as stupid.
Old 05 May 2005, 02:03 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

get a sign that says speedtrap ahead and stick it down the road when they are trapping

bastids pulled me once for flashing my lights after coming past a speed trap in the opposite direction - I claimed I was trying to wash my windscreen and had accidentally got the wrong lever. He said if he caught me again he would charge me with attempting to pervert the course of justice... I had to laugh at him..... Imagine the scene in court
"It has been alleged Mr Bloke, that on 5th May you did attempt to pervert the course of justice by washing your windscreen..... how do you plead"
Old 05 May 2005, 02:04 PM
chaos.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
get a sign that says speedtrap ahead and stick it down the road when they are trapping

bastids pulled me once for flashing my lights after coming past a speed trap in the opposite direction - I claimed I was trying to wash my windscreen and had accidentally got the wrong lever. He said if he caught me again he would charge me with attempting to pervert the course of justice... I had to laugh at him..... Imagine the scene in court
"It has been alleged Mr Bloke, that on 5th May you did attempt to pervert the course of justice by washing your windscreen..... how do you plead"
you plead guilty for being a little bollox!
Old 05 May 2005, 02:14 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

IIRC it is NOT illegal to let other motorists know there is a speed trap but it is illegal to get them to slow down because there is one down the road.

Recent case, bloke from my home town in Devon got done because he was waving down cars to slow them or to tell them there was a speed trap. He was arrested (presumably for perverting the course of justice) but don't know the outcome.

Oh, he was a pedestrian at the time
Old 05 May 2005, 02:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" IIRC it is NOT illegal to let other motorists know there is a speed trap "
yes it is !! try it and you'll get nicked for interfering with the course of justice , it's not in holland as was seen on clarkson some time ago , but it is here ,

Last edited by scoobydooooo; 05 May 2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05 May 2005, 02:21 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Read the rest of the sentence. If they are not speeding, you can not be perverting the course of justice. It would be no different to telling someone there is a speed camera on the road or the location of a mobile camera van trap (which has to be signed by DFT guidelines).

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2005, 02:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
theres a speed trap near me on a straight 40mph stretch of road. never seen an accident on it in 18yrs. can from one end to another. police are speed trapping hidden in a residential minor road.

would it be illegal for me and a mate to do 38mph in both lanes at the same time?
not like id want to stop anyone being trapped or anything.
Yes it would, as ridiculous as that sounds. In the eighties a mechanic from a works team on the RAC/Network Q was arrested and charged for doing just this. After traffic police realised that all competition cars passing were now under the posted limit, they looked round the corner and found this bloke with a sign, and nicked him in a fit or pique. Had his sign simply read: 'SLOW DOWN' then theres little they could have done but it said 'SPEED TRAP' and he was deemed to have been obstructing the Police officers...

Simon
Old 05 May 2005, 02:41 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In which case the local council who put up notices "GATSO AHEAD" should also be prosecuted?

Old 05 May 2005, 02:46 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by GC8
Yes it would, as ridiculous as that sounds. In the eighties a mechanic from a works team on the RAC/Network Q was arrested and charged for doing just this. After traffic police realised that all competition cars passing were now under the posted limit, they looked round the corner and found this bloke with a sign, and nicked him in a fit or pique. Had his sign simply read: 'SLOW DOWN' then theres little they could have done but it said 'SPEED TRAP' and he was deemed to have been obstructing the Police officers...

Simon
Simple solution:

!!Warning!!
!!There is not a speed trap around the next bend!!

-or-

"This sign says there is a speed trap around the next bend"

But Brendan - Cameras are supposed to be a deterent and therefoire if you don't know about them beforehand then how can they be a deterent? Kind of a paradox!

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 05 May 2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05 May 2005, 02:52 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Wasn't there a case recently where they not only prosecuted someone for warning motorists of a speed trap but they also banned him from driving, despite the fact he wasn't even in his car at the time?!

I blame Blair.
Old 05 May 2005, 02:54 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a fine line, isn't it? "Obstruction" is one of the widest charges you can possibly get. Would be interesting to argue in defence "I was trying to stop an offence being committed", and see if they prosecute you for it (of course they would). would be nice to see the cops explain to the public that arresting a criminal after an offence is more important than preventing it in the first place. I guess this is the difference, as above, between "Speed trap" and "Slow down!".
Old 05 May 2005, 02:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Wasn't there a case recently where they not only prosecuted someone for warning motorists of a speed trap but they also banned him from driving, despite the fact he wasn't even in his car at the time?!

I blame Blair.
Yup - http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/new..._slow_down.asp
Old 05 May 2005, 03:08 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Exactly - it all comes down to them NOT wanting to prevent the crime! If they could put their hands on their heart (do they have hearts?) and say "Nothing would make me happier than for no-one to be speeding", they'd LOVE to have other motorists influencing others to slow down.

The fact that they want to prosecute you for PREVENTING a crime, shows the sheer idiocy of the whole thing.

Besides, if you flash your lights at someone who was doing UNDER the speed limit, would they need to PROVE that that person was GOING to exceed the speed limit and that you in fact persuaded them not to? Or is the mere fact that you flashed your lights, enough proof to convict you?

All a bit Minority Report/Pre-Crime for me...
Old 05 May 2005, 09:12 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

They don’t want to prevent crime if they get profit from it do they! What business prevents an activity that earns them money FFS?

Anyway I don’t think there is much need for proof the courts are just happy to make an example out of a serious criminal activity like stopping a crime!

What a screwed up country we live in
Old 05 May 2005, 09:17 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
nicked him in a fit of pique

says it all!!!

and they wonder why people don,t like them??

M
Old 05 May 2005, 09:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC Highway code says that flashing your lights can only be taken as a warning to other motorists of your presence. Therefore, how could anyone make it a crime without re-issuing the highway code?

I guess I can almost see the sign saying "slow down" versus "speed trap" argument. It's more akin to saying "don't sell drugs" versus "warning - that 'junkie' is an undercover policeman".

Of course, there is no way they could argue if you were to put up a sign saying "accident blackspot ahead", as that is clearly contributing to road safety, and it must be an accident blackspot if they are putting a speed trap there.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:30 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Originally Posted by ajm
I blame Blair.
Old 05 May 2005, 11:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Been there done that - makes ME a crim does it? How I'd LOVE my day in court for that one. Roll on - lets publicly get 'we dont want to prevent or discourage potentially really dangerous according to us behaviour' on camera and in the press. Bring it on as I press 'print' for 'slow - 'life saving' safety camera ahead'...
Old 05 May 2005, 11:22 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

What if you put a sign up saying "SLOW - PIGS AHEAD!"

As farmer Giles has let Butch and Sundance out on the loose again
Old 05 May 2005, 11:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

corner
Old 05 May 2005, 11:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba po
corner
ello ello ello

Now do you know that doing cornering in 'ere is against the law sonny? ....this ain't muppets you know!

Old 05 May 2005, 11:34 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The rest of the contributors to this thread were acting in a manner unlikely to cause a breach of the peace, so I decided to stick my oar in.
Old 05 May 2005, 11:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I AM ABSOLUTELY GOBSMACKED!!!!

HOW CAN YOU BAND SOMEONE FROM DRIVING WHEN THEY ARENT EVEN IN THEIR CAR????

Unbelievable police state we live in - I cant tell you how shocked I am.

Does this guy's insurance go up when is guilty of NO motoring issue?

HORRIFIED
Old 06 May 2005, 08:18 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This just proves it is just about revinue generation and not safety.