Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend a holiday?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 02:46 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommend a holiday?

looking for a Holiday for me and 'er indoors. First two weeks in July.
we normally go with Thomsons as we like the score that they show from holidaymakers. Found it to be pretty accurate so far.
But would like to go some where different but need some good recommendations. Sunny, good food nice accommodation.... Italy, Spain, Greece etc....any ideas?

Last edited by r32; 04 May 2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 02:53 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Tuscany is nice. Eire - down south, Cork area is always good for a relaxed break and some cracking scenery. Flourence and Venice are worth a look as well, so is Sienna.
Old 04 May 2005, 02:57 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

crete.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:09 PM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

Lindos in Rhodes. Some great places to eat, nice beaches, great weather etc etc. In my opinion, all round great place (hence why I'm off there in a few weeks!) If you're looking for a relaxing holiday then I'd definitely recommend here.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:16 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I love Zante

Airport is $hit but everything else is wonderful
Old 04 May 2005, 03:17 PM
555 Devil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by r32
we normally go with Thomsons as we like the score that they show from holidaymakers. Found it to be pretty accurate so far.
But would like to go some where different but need some good recommendations. Sunny, good food nice accomadation.... Italy, Spain, Greece etc....any ideas?
Dont do Lindos, The wife and I took our little girl there for a cheap holiday 2 years ago, Dodgy Food, Dodgy Beaches and really strange people, heard a few of these stories when i got back, would have been nice to know before we went.

Anyway if you just want a european holiday, Cyprus, Southern Italy seem to be the places to go right now, or i am now hearing that Benidorm in Spain is not really a clubbers paradise anymore and is really nice....

What about Torquay? LMAO
Old 04 May 2005, 03:20 PM
sti_ken
Scooby Regular

TURKEY VFM and really nice, going back in July for two WEEKS cant wait

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2005, 03:23 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Portugal, up in the hills just off the Algarve
Old 04 May 2005, 03:28 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
I love Zante

yeah found that too

bet you £300 that your baggage is on conveyor belt no. 1 as there is only 1 conveyor belt in the airport

Airport was naf but the place was really cool.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:32 PM
Party Bird
Scooby Regular

555 Devil - Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in Lindos. Surprises me to hear that you didnt get on out there as everyone I've spoken to loved it and met some really good friends out there. Each to there own, as always there's places in this world that some people hate and some people love!
Old 04 May 2005, 03:39 PM
D70
BANNED

It depends how you want to do it. There are so many opportunities in Spain and Portugal that aren't full of scumbag English people wanting food and beer from home I don't know where to start.

Try other places in Portugal other than the Algarve and you'll find a gastronomic and cultural paradise. The Alentajo (Portugal) is great, particularly Evora, if you prefer Espagna then the Galician coast has much to offer.

The main thing for me is to get away from tossers and their demands for Stella and crap English style grub, your priorities may be different.

Anywhere you can buy a copy of the 'Sun' and drink English lager is a no go area for me.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:42 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D70
It depends how you want to do it. There are so many opportunities in Spain and Portugal that aren't full of scumbag English people wanting food and beer from home I don't know where to start.

Try other places in Portugal other than the Algarve and you'll find a gastronomic and cultural paradise. The Alentajo (Portugal) is great, particularly Evora, if you prefer Espagna then the Galician coast has much to offer.

The main thing for me is to get away from tossers and their demands for Stella and crap English style grub, your priorities may be different.

Anywhere you can buy a copy of the 'Sun' and drink English lager is a no go area for me.
I hear what you are saying, that's why we stay up in the hills, very, very nice.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alentejo usually insufferably hot during the summer, nice at other times though. We wanted to go to Mertola last weekend, but so many were going down the motorway to the algarve that we ended up going to Monsaraz and the Spanish border. As for a gastronomic paradise D70, I'll swap you Spain for Portugal any day! We had lunch in a basic café in a little town in Spain, it was far tastier than any one-horse town cafe I've tried in Portugal. Garlic, mmm.... Bloody right about avoiding the Stella crowd though.

We're wondering about driving up to the north of Spain (Galicia, Asturias) this summer. Only an idea.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:52 PM
555 Devil
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Party Bird
555 Devil - Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in Lindos. Surprises me to hear that you didnt get on out there as everyone I've spoken to loved it and met some really good friends out there. Each to there own, as always there's places in this world that some people hate and some people love!
Are you trying to sell the place?

It was Cr@p, worst holiday I have ever been on.... i am not going to slate it too much as you seem to like it. Found alot of English out there which again is a bad sign. Lots of young blonde good time girls, which if I were 20 years younger and not married with sprog would have been like heaven(Easy, Easy!!). Its one of them places that I found would be great for a stag night...Pukkkeeee Awful... Lets not talk about it again...

Just hope you arent blonde now, If so foot is in my mouth.

As i said Cyprus and Italy are top option.
Old 04 May 2005, 04:02 PM
mr & mrs carlos uk300
Scooby Regular

Get a brochure, choose destination and hotel/apartment, then go online to holidays uncovered, up to date comments from people who have recently been.

mrs carlos
Old 04 May 2005, 04:11 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Just had a week in Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt - excellent holiday would definately reccomend it.

Stayed at the Reef Oasis which was excellent
Old 04 May 2005, 04:20 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Depends what you like in a holiday I suppose.... Personally I LOVE Gozo (just next to Malta). Loads of history, tons of fabulous scenery, lovely seaside places (though no sandy beaches), cheap busses all over the island, no real language barriers (most locals speak and understand English), very friendly place - didn't feel worried at all in the evenings, cheap booze, fab cheap food with loads of influences from all over the med.

If you want something a bit more commercial then stay on Malta and visit Gozo for odd days - the ferry is really cheap
Old 04 May 2005, 04:34 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
I love Zante

Zante Airport is minute - you can see the runway on your approach and you think "how the hell is this thing gonna stop on that?". It's also strange that the end of the runway is right on the beach, when you're coming in to land all you can see is water and you think the pilot's just ditching the thing...

We stayed in Laganas - loved it, would deffo go back, v.hot and it's great for kids and v. cheap to eat out.
Old 04 May 2005, 04:47 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Party Bird
Lindos in Rhodes. Some great places to eat, nice beaches, great weather etc etc. In my opinion, all round great place (hence why I'm off there in a few weeks!) If you're looking for a relaxing holiday then I'd definitely recommend here.
quite right. excuse the plug but if you're looking to buy good quality jewellry and/or watches without being shafted, go to Antonis Gold Bazaar in Ixia (just outside rhodes town centre). you can't miss it, it's big, right on the sea front set back from the road with fountains in front. it's owned by my sis-in-law caroline & her husband and is one of the best jewellers (out of the 800 or so) on the island.

enjoy your trip.

jules (aka HG)
Old 04 May 2005, 05:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Ixia - Is that the same as Trianda?

OK for plane spotting
Old 04 May 2005, 05:02 PM
D70
BANNED

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Alentejo usually insufferably hot during the summer, nice at other times though. We wanted to go to Mertola last weekend, but so many were going down the motorway to the algarve that we ended up going to Monsaraz and the Spanish border. As for a gastronomic paradise D70, I'll swap you Spain for Portugal any day! We had lunch in a basic café in a little town in Spain, it was far tastier than any one-horse town cafe I've tried in Portugal. Garlic, mmm.... Bloody right about avoiding the Stella crowd though.

We're wondering about driving up to the north of Spain (Galicia, Asturias) this summer. Only an idea.
If you ever make the effort

This should be a days driving for you

Parador de Baiona

http://www.parador.es/castellano/par...maCabecera=esp

Fantastic location and food, not to mention a good starting point for the Galician coast.

As for the comments on Spanish cuisine, I regard it as some of the best in the world for variety, diversity and quality. Certainly better than in France. However the Alentejo (particularly Evora) provided me with world class cuisine that can compete with anywher in the world. It wasn't a Bifana and Imperial affair! My main problem with Portugal these days is the cost. I used to stay in Pousadas a lot but the cost makes them poor VFM.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:14 PM
ChrisC
Scooby Regular

Default Italia

Originally Posted by r32
But would like to go some where different but need some good recommendations. Sunny, good food nice accommodation.... Italy, Spain, Greece etc....any ideas?
Why not try Lake Garda in Italy - lots to see and do and Verona/Venice not too far away. If you can do go to the opera at Verona- even if you're not a fan the setting is spectacular but take a cushion!!
We drive so the roads are available for fun!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

im off to venice in 2 weeks time
Old 04 May 2005, 11:25 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Cyprus - Kato Paphos is v. nice . if you like rally driving go up into the Troodos mountains!!

or

Fuerteventura - has both quiet and lively resorts.. can recommned Caleta De Fuste ( now known as Costa Del Caleta) have now been 3 times. www.fuerteventura.com

Both places people are v. friendly, cheap particularly Fuerte) and have lots to do if you don't mind hiring a car...

go to Thomas Cook (JMC)

Last edited by little-ginge; 04 May 2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:44 PM
lubo
Scooby Regular

love italy 2 bits very relaxing, friendly and family orientated..not alot 4 older kids though. Zante was very good too and cosmos is good if you've got kids far better than thomsons imho