Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone use Mizuno golf clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 01:16 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Mizuno golf clubs?

Looking at getting either the Mx-17 or Mx-23, don't suppose anyone uses them?

Anyone got opinions on Mizuno on the whole?

thanks

chopper

P.s - Mods please leave in NSR for a little while as will get better coverage than sports.
Old 04 May 2005, 01:19 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I've got the MX-20s (predecessors to the MX-23s) and they're excellent. A good price for forged clubs, too. I got the lightweight True Temper steel shafts with mine (supposed to be as light as graphite, allegedly).
Old 04 May 2005, 01:23 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Erm, no. Got a fli-hi utility and used to use a Zuno driver (a few years ago that, before drives got big).

On the whole, I think they're good clubs but not the most forgiving... I haven't tried any of the new new irons though, that's just based on old ones and my fli-hi. Good clubs for low handicappers seems to be the usual verdict.

I'm very happy with my Cleveland TA5s (now obsolete I think)
Old 04 May 2005, 01:24 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

In no way am I a low handicapper! The MX-20s are perimeter weighted for hackers like me, but are high quality forged heads rather than cast.

As long as the grooves are clean, I find it very easy to get a clean impact.
Old 04 May 2005, 01:28 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

used to have mizuno irons, going back a few years now, now im using cobra irons which are going to be upgraded soon probably for titleist forged irons.

best thing to do is to go to your local nevada bobs or wait for a demo day at your nearest golf club so you can try a few sets of irons, see how you hit them.

most sets of irons are about 500 ish nowadays so I would definately try before you buy, also if they are forged you should have someone adjust them as you are hitting the *****.

I buy a lot of my golf bits from www.golfbuyitonline.com very helpful, got new shoes, 5wood etc from them up until now, and no I have nothing to do with them
Old 04 May 2005, 02:00 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

directgolfDOTcoDOTuk is decent site too... cheap. I agree that hitting ***** is the only way though.

As for forged/cast... I agree of course that forged irons are teh clubs of choice for good players, but cast clubs can be perfectly adequate. Witness the success of the Cleveland 588 wedge, a cast wedge that's been massively popular with pros over the past ten years.

It's all about what feels good in your hand.
Old 04 May 2005, 02:18 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Last time i went home to visit my family, my father suggested a round of golf, so i borrowed my brother's mx-23's, now bearing in mind i had'nt hit a golf ball for 5 month's, he was'nt over the moon when i beat him and his 3 mate's quite convincingly. Now the main point here is i'd call myself a ****e golfer, but i found the mx-23's really easy to use and forgiving (even the low iron's), and am now considering changing my Cobra's (that i thought were easy to use) for a set of the Mizuno's.

Trending Topics

Old 04 May 2005, 02:23 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

One of my golfing mates usess the MX-15's - just to put things into perspective he's truly, truly utter bollocks at golf no matter what clubs he has... but then again he's got the Taylor Made Rossa putter too and he's still rubbish so read from that what you like. ie - it's not the clubs, it's him.
Old 04 May 2005, 02:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

mate uses 10 year old mizunos... he recently picked up some Ping i3's in graphite, they were too whippy for him. so he got hold of some with steel shafts.... still doesnt like them, been round to an old mates to get his Mizunos back off him. says they are a much better club
Old 04 May 2005, 02:41 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
mate uses 10 year old mizunos... he recently picked up some Ping i3's in graphite, they were too whippy for him. so he got hold of some with steel shafts.... still doesnt like them, been round to an old mates to get his Mizunos back off him. says they are a much better club

depending on your swing speed, you may or may not require graphite shafts, its not a "would I prefer graphite shafts" question its more a "does my swing require graphite shafts", personally my swing speed is way to fast for graphite irons, and I have recently purchased a new driver with a specific graphite shaft to suit my swing.

definately go try them out first
Old 04 May 2005, 03:27 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

(In my opinion)Mizuno make the best quality irons in golf. From the old MP's to the newer stuff, every set i have ever picked up have been top quality and the forged stuff tends to be awesome. Never the cheapest brand but you definately get what you pay for.

My advice would be to get yourself to the nearest Pro shop that has a decent selection of what you are interested in, with a Pro that knows his stuff with regard to custom-fitting and have a try with a few sets. When you find something you like, get the lie/loft/shaft type/shaft length/shaft flex/grip type/grip thickness sorted and make a note of these so if you dont end up buying there and then you can at least get a cheaper set online while still receiving the benefits from a personalised set up.
Old 04 May 2005, 04:42 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
depending on your swing speed, you may or may not require graphite shafts, its not a "would I prefer graphite shafts" question its more a "does my swing require graphite shafts", personally my swing speed is way to fast for graphite irons, and I have recently purchased a new driver with a specific graphite shaft to suit my swing.

definately go try them out first
Agree. Where I get my clubs from, if you decide the clubs aren't for you, you can exchange them within 28days. Not as cheap as somewhere like JJB but service counts.

PS - just got a Taylor Made Rescue Mid at the weekend - what a club! 3 & 5 woods now consigned to the back of the garage!
Old 04 May 2005, 04:52 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Agree. Where I get my clubs from, if you decide the clubs aren't for you, you can exchange them within 28days. Not as cheap as somewhere like JJB but service counts.

PS - just got a Taylor Made Rescue Mid at the weekend - what a club! 3 & 5 woods now consigned to the back of the garage!
I have a club that I should snap for the amount of trouble it causes me, lob wedges are the spawn of satan.
Old 04 May 2005, 04:58 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

LOL - I bought one of those Donnay lob wedges out of Soccer World for £7.49 - 64deg loft, hardly comes out of the bag as it goes so vertical you just about hit yourself in the face when you strike the ball! I doubt I'll buy a more expensive replacement for it, not worth it.

If you really, really need any club - it's the Odyssey 2 ball putter - can't rate it high enough.
Old 04 May 2005, 05:10 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Personally I prefer the "classic look" putters, which is why I have a Ping Zing 2F. It's another thing that appeals about the Mizunos -- they don't have that "heavy" look that some other perimeter weighted clubs have. Some of them look like shovels!

Come to think of it I've only ever owned two putters -- the Ping and a Slotline Inertial (when they were de rigeur -- don't hear of them any more)
Old 04 May 2005, 05:23 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all opinions very useful,

The Mx-23's are only £388 which is very cheap for a club it this class.

I'm playing off 16 at the minute so think they are about my standard (certainly not ready for blades

What this about forged heads and offset / having them adjusted as I hit the ball ????

Don't know much about the technical side.

Appreciate it.

Chopper
Old 06 May 2005, 04:42 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Get yourself down to your local Mizuno fitting centre, they are listed on the Mizuno web site. The Pro there will come out to the range with you and bring a selection of 6 irons based on your height, arm length and stature. They will then put some tape on each of them and watch you hit ***** asking you to switch between various clubs until they are happy with how you are hitting the ball. Once you feel comfortable with the club they have left you with you should see the tape on it marked with where you hit the ball. This tells the Pro what shaft length and loft correction from flat you need to ensure the clubs work for you. Once you have this the clubs are ordered and custom made in their factory near Glasgow, usually takes a couple of weeks but might be longer now as weather is picking up. Also, before you order the clubs have the Pro check your hand size for the grips you'll need as not everyone feels comfortable with the basic ones.

I did this about 18 months ago and ended up with a custom set of MX15's which suit me perfectly and am now down to about 12 from 20+.

Also, once you have the clubs in your possession book a few lessons with the Pro, best money you can spend in my opinion.

Yex - an old fart from the past who still loiters here occassionally.