Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fashion so called Charity Bands! Chav Status

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 08:13 AM
555 Devil
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fashion so called Charity Bands! Chav Status

Does anyone think that these fashion bands have got a little outta control?

Bully bands, breast cancer bands, stop the rascism bands, testicular cancer bands WTF

they are just bands and different colours, some you can get for as little as 2 quid but some can go up to 20 quid(for plastic!!!)

How long before these sort of bands get Chav status, my little girl wanted a Breast Cancer Band(Pink one) but i would rather give the 5 quid to charity than to buy one of these bands, which you havent a clue of how much of the money goes to that charity. It is a fad, and everyone has jumped on the wagon.

Should we start making our own bands, a Scooby band, we could be millionaires if we patent that! or maybe a burberry band, then chavs will all want them for sure!!

Hopefully i havent encouraged people to get these silly bands, and people that have got them getting them, hahahahhahahah you look silly!
Old 04 May 2005, 08:38 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

My 6 year old has one. She "bullied" me into getting it for her. Perhaps I should get some of the money.......
Old 04 May 2005, 08:45 AM
Horizon
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation

Erm, maybe they have some sort of "cred" but so what! It's for some sort of decent cause right? Better than wearing a poncy bracelet that means **** all and just displays wealth?

I donated to and therefore wear a Lance Armstrong Foundation (Yellow) band. I admire him, his cause (cancer victim support), and the motto on it, LiveStrong.

But you're right, they'll go out of fashion soon, and no-one will be wearing them.
Old 04 May 2005, 09:07 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The street sellers sell these in Manchester - I wonder how much of the money goes to charity
Old 04 May 2005, 09:29 AM
little miss fire
Scooby Regular

Fire & Rescue Service have made a red one that says FIRE KILLS - YOU CAN PREVENT IT
Old 04 May 2005, 09:49 AM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

lol they already are at chav status
Old 04 May 2005, 10:10 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I think you should give to charity and not require an emblem to display to show you have done your good deed.

Lot's of biblical references talk about how the pharisees gave money so that everyone could see - and other people appreciation was their reward! The bigger rewards come from doing these things only in Gods sight!

I suppose on a superficial level the charity gains a little by the advertising and the peer pressure for everyone to display their band - like poppies on remeberance day - but really what is £1 or £5 for a charity? If the cause is important to you make a real gift - something that has a real cost to you, not just enough to show other people that you are a charitable giver...

Mick
Old 04 May 2005, 10:16 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I refuse to give money to any charity that pressurises me into it. It's just another indication of how shallow the population of this planet have become imo

I don't think poppies come into the same category myself, they should be worn out of respect, and as an acknowledgement that you are aware of the massive debt we all owe to the generations before us.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:20 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

STFU about "chav!"
Seems to be if anything gets overly popular people are too quick to start the "Chav" chant
If these bands are generating more money / awareness for particular charities then surely this can only be a good thing ??
I agree that there is a fashion element to them and indeed remember asking a mates young lass what a certain band was for and she didnt know but she has done her bit for a charity that previously she wouldnt have given any money to. (although I now see they are swapping them at school, football sticker stylee )
As long as people are not nieve enough to buy them from the ***** that sell the hooky coppies then let them wear their bands and let the charities benefit.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by PG
If these bands are generating more money / awareness for particular charities then surely this can only be a good thing ??.
Does anyone really believe that the money they hand over for these things is going to charity
Old 04 May 2005, 10:30 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Does anyone really believe that the money they hand over for these things is going to charity
Great attitude mate

If you really don't think that any money gets to the charity from the band sales then it must be a depressing world you live in.

I suppose the old biddies that shake the tins do the "one for me and one for you" thing when counting out the money ?
Old 04 May 2005, 10:53 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I agree - the scruffy stall holders that wander the streets of Manchester/Leeds selling bubble guns, phone covers and these bands are purely selling for profit - i will eat my hat if any of the money they get actually goes to charity.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:59 AM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Personally I like the black ones.. The anti-wristband band
Old 04 May 2005, 11:07 AM
dome
Scooby Regular

Personaly I've got one of these bands http://www.livewrong.net/
I gave up trying to find a real Lance Armstrong one where money was going to charity and not in someones pocket.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:08 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I didn't even know they existed till I read this, what are they..headbands or something?
Old 04 May 2005, 11:26 AM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Obviously if you're buying them off spivs on street corners, the money isn't going to charity, just like the watches aren't real, and the aftershave is cat ****!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:28 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Many of these bands were supposed to be free but there's a whole gang of little tossers out there who order them by the bucket load to fictitious 'Flat' addresses (leaving none for anyone who genuinely wants one) then sell them on Ebay etc. Plus I'm sure there are tons of copies coming out of China.
Old 04 May 2005, 11:40 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I bought one of the testicular cancer bands the other day. Fúck knows how it's going to prevent it!! I can only wear it for 3 minutes until my bóllocks ache and my *** turns blue!!
Old 04 May 2005, 11:54 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

^
Old 04 May 2005, 11:59 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
I bought one of the testicular cancer bands the other day. Fúck knows how it's going to prevent it!! I can only wear it for 3 minutes until my bóllocks ache and my *** turns blue!!
haha sitting in the pub the other day with a couple of mates, after a few beers.

mate 1 "whats that stupid band thing you've got on your arm"

mate 2 "its for testicular cancer"

mate 1 "well does it help??"

everyone rolls up !
Old 04 May 2005, 12:10 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by suprabeast
haha sitting in the pub the other day with a couple of mates, after a few beers.

mate 1 "whats that stupid band thing you've got on your arm"

mate 2 "its for testicular cancer"

mate 1 "well does it help??"

everyone rolls up !
LOL

Mick
Old 04 May 2005, 12:17 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I blame Blair. These bands are part of an insidious plot to get us used to wearing bands that "identify" and "associate" us with particular groups.

They will eventually be compulsory, permanent, colour coded by politcal allegiance, and contain a tracking chip.

Old 04 May 2005, 12:35 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Got a free black one that looks like a tyre with Max Power magazine last week.
Don't know if I'm more embarassed wearing it or admitting to reading the occassional Max Power
Old 04 May 2005, 01:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought people were wearing them because otherwise they dont know when they should leave the local swimming pool.

Cant understand what they are saying really, 'I dont like Testicular Cancer, its very bad, they cut your knackers off', well thats a piece of original thought and theres me really rating ******** Cancer as my No 1 favourite Cancer of all time, even above the charming Bowel and Throat variations, why not just make a donation to a cancer charity, all it really says is I am stupid and have given 8 quid to some chancer on Ebay for a rubber band.
Old 04 May 2005, 03:03 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Wondered what the hell these things were.... personally i think they look fecking stupid!!