Advice on South Africa

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2005, 03:52 PM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Advice on South Africa

Hi all,

I looking for advice on a holiday in Johannesburg. I was thinking of taking myself and the missus over the a week to 10 days.

We just got our house and we haven;t had a holiday in 3 years, plus I was thinking about getting her engagement ring there and save some money.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who gone to south africa, What is like? and anyone buy jewlary there?

or any other helpful tips you good people can come up with.

Thanks
Old 03 May 2005, 03:58 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

My mams cousin lives in Johannesburg, it is a really nice place, loads of really good places to visit, really romantic too lol, a very nice place for a holiday, and as for jewellery, my mams cousin gets all her jewellery out there as she can afford it and loves the stuff, I got a ring given to me from her which is worth a bomb and it is the nicest best looking jewellery ever, theres a place she uses and she chose the size diamond she wanted and you can have it put in to what ever setting you prefer, wether it be gold, white gold etc, mine is white gold with a diamond and it is gorgeous, I would advise it to anyone.
Old 03 May 2005, 03:59 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Yeah take a bullet-proof vest
Old 03 May 2005, 04:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think there are some SA folk on here so they can give direct advice. I lived in J'burg but a long time ago and still have friends out there. Security is the big problem of course. Aside from that I think there are more exciting places to go in SA than J'burg. Some fantastic coast, the mountains, Cape Town, game parks. What time of year are you going 'cos this makes a difference? Certainly the exchange rate is in your favour DL

Edited to add: It's a long way to go for a week. I'd say 2 week minimum if you can manage it.

Last edited by David Lock; 03 May 2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03 May 2005, 04:28 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
Yeah take a bullet-proof vest
And a mini gun may come in handy
Old 03 May 2005, 04:33 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Dont take anything over there you aint prepared to lose/give up to a gun man. I'm sure the chances of you running into a gun man are slim but if you should be unlucky hand over everything cos they will shoot you (they'll probably shoot you anyway - but best not upset them ).

Don't get me wrong - We had two weeks in South Africa two years ago and it was probably the best holiday we've ever had - but it can be a very dangerous place and not a place for have-a-go-heroics .

Everything is cheap
Old 03 May 2005, 06:14 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Johannesburg NO
Cape Town YES
Especially the Water Front area and Table Mountain
About a hours or so drive your in the wine making region

Trending Topics

Old 03 May 2005, 07:15 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine went to Jo'burg and got shot in the head for his hired car, a poxy piece of **** Corolla.

He came home with a tasty scar along the side of his temple and along his hairline above his left ear 'cos fortunately the shooter couldn't hit a cow's **** with a banjo and virtually missed from about 1ft away.

He changed his mind about emigrating out there.

6 months later he changed his mind again and moved his family out there because, and I quote, "The missus likes the idea of having a black maid."

To55er.

I couldn't believe he put himself, his wife and his children in harm's way for the sake of a status symbol.

In short (too late) it's apparently a gorgeous country, tainted only by the natives.

Last edited by Jap2Scrap; 03 May 2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03 May 2005, 07:38 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with NicksVR4 and Jap2Scrap

We toured SA and out of all teh cities we visited, the most hostile and scary (from a tourists point of view) is Jo'burg.

You will need a guide or be part of a tour group to be safe, wouldn't advise going on your own or backpacking etc.

Cape town Is the nicest city we visted there, but even that has lots of no-go areas...you know something isn't right when the taxi driver absolutely refuses to drive you to teh destination you asked!

However out in the sticks it really is a different story, we passed through a few villages in teh wine districts and was pleasently relieved at the lack of need for the razor wire and armed guards on every corner which the cities need.

Would reccomend a few days in Sawziland whilst your there too

Oh yes we got some jewlery too - well sort of....actually it was a zircon encrusted ring I already had...as I liked the design, I had the zircons replaced with real diamonds with a valuation over the weekend whilst in capetown, cost was very cheap!

Last edited by Shark Man; 03 May 2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04 May 2005, 09:19 AM
bobn3
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi All,

thanks everyone for all your replies.

I think I heading to Cape Town ;-), mind you the way sercuity is in Dublin airport the bullet proof jacket and machine gun shouldnt be too hard to get on the plane :-)

Later
Old 04 May 2005, 10:06 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Another good spot would be Durban area, as just to the North you have the best game parks. Its cheaper than Cape Town, and a shorter flight.

Went last year, and went to Hluhluwe game reserve, seriously amazing, and Sodwana bay, that whole St Lucia area basically, and its amazing!!
Dived loads too, and got to dive with a bunch of varieties of shark without the constrains of a cage, but depends what you want to do on the holiday.

The game parks are stunning, as we drove in a MASSIVE male bull elephant was meandering down the road, and cars simply fly off into the bush, cause the size of this thing means you either move your car or lose it, but excellent fun.

Id recommend that, or Cape Town. Going again this year to Durban area, but whatever you do, play it safe. Hire a good car, stay in areas recommended by tourist centres, and take advice from hotels etc where you stay.

It can be frikking dangerous, over the years ive lost a mate out there, shot in the head, and another got a bullet in the back but lived, plus saw an elderly woman dragged out of her car in a petrol station and shot, so whatever you do, dont take anything for granted out there, if you get yourself into the wrong areas, you can be in a lot of trouble, but take the proper precautions, and you could have the best holiday of your life.

Like any third worldy country, there's poverty and crime, and going to many countries in similar state is risky, so dont let it put you off completely, you jus have to be sensible is all.
Old 04 May 2005, 10:35 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
Another good spot would be Durban area, as just to the North you have the best game parks. Its cheaper than Cape Town, and a shorter flight.
Cape Vidal Beach

Old 04 May 2005, 11:07 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Nice pic!! cant wait to get back there again, we're doing two and a half weeks, with around 5/6 days spent in Hluhluwe, and St Lucia wetlands, and will definitely go along to Cape Vidal too.
Drakensberg is stunning too, and also close to Durban, so would definitely be my recommendation.
Ive not been to Cape Town, but for a real sense of Africa from a wildlife, sea life, and beaches perspective, as well as a view of zulu life, its hard to beat areas around Durban.