Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Would you buy a £17k car without test driving?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2005, 11:08 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy a £17k car without test driving?

As above. Am currently looking to buy a S2000 privately for around £17k and was wondering whether it would be reasonable to request a test drive or not?

Would it be suffice to show my 3rd party cover?

Would you accept this and allow someone to test drive your car if they are serious?

Some people wont even give out an address to arrange viewings

Bob
Old 28 April 2005, 11:12 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the . . . . . . .

How could anyone consider buying a second hand car, privately without driving the thing?
Old 28 April 2005, 11:16 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Of some of my older pervious cars I have sold, I offered for people to test drive them but they have declined.

I purchased my Scoob privately without even sitting in the drivers seat.

Was just wondering what the 'general' concensus was?.....Would you walk away if there was no test drive offered?

Bob
Old 28 April 2005, 11:18 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

You will not be rude to ask for a test drive. BUT the sellers going to want you to be covered FC. Just in case you have an off.

PLUS Id want to phone the company independently to make sure its real and not a fake.

I paid over £8K for my car. And never drove it because I couldnt get insurance at the time. But the seller drove me around and did what I asked him to, so I was "resonably" confident.

As for the address thing. I can understand reticence. Whose to say you wont come back later and try and steal it. Seller doesnt know you from Adam afterall.
Old 28 April 2005, 11:19 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I would expect a test drive on a £1700 car let alone £17K!!! if they wont then move on always plenty for sale!
Old 28 April 2005, 11:24 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

How do you get FC insurance on cars you are going to view? Phone the insurance company up with all the changes?? Dont you have to be the owner/beneficiary to have fc cover (I know many ins companies which wont cover you if you're not the owner)?

3rd Party with the ability to financially cover any (highly unlikely) damages should be okay?

Bob
Old 28 April 2005, 11:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

you dont.... you would be FC on a car you already own or something and the car you are buying would be covered TP only. this should be good enough for a test drive. its not like your borrowing it for an hour+ is it. ask for a drive and suggest the owner comes with you, maybe he drives it somewhere and you drive it back. If hes being funny just mention that so far your very keen on the car (i.e state of the bodywork etc hasnt put you off and you just like to make sure your happy with the drive) and presuming it drives OK, you'll be looking at making an offer (you should know by this stage whether its worth making an offer, if not you shouldnt be wasting yours or the sellers time with a test drive) No drive, no sale. he might change his mind rapidly if he thinks your more serious than the average tyre kicker....

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2005, 11:46 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I bought my WRX without ever having driven it (or any other Subaru) - I just saw it and fell in love. It was from a dealer though - don't think I'd do that with a private buy.
Old 28 April 2005, 11:49 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't private buy a car without test drive - sold as seen remember, not like a dealership where you get, what, 3 mths warranty?

And if I was selling one of that value I wouldn't be happy about people driving it uninsured.

Not an easy problem to solve.
Old 28 April 2005, 11:53 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
And if I was selling one of that value I wouldn't be happy about people driving it uninsured.
I agree, I wouldnt be too happy either, but aslong as LEGALLY they are TP then I wouldnt have a problem driving it for a mile or so up the road if I was with them. but I wouldnt expect them to be pushing it around country roads etc. wouldnt mind them putting their foot down on a stretch of road or something.... suppose it depends what you look like. if I had a bunch of youths looking then Id be very wary, a respectable looking adult would be fine though I think. when selling a car its a bit of give and take really
Old 28 April 2005, 11:57 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Depends on what people class as 'uninsured'. Not everyone is happy with 3rd party insurance.

Dave: Very valid point and a good way of approaching it.

Now....

The car is priced @ £17k without any of the extras fitted to the car (around £700 worth - exhaust, induction etc). He says he has some flex in price but the car is well priced and he is in no hurry for a sale.

Wonder what offer you guys would start at assuming the car is as described and well priced?

£16k - If wanting to pay £16.5k max or would some people consider this as taking the pi$$?

Lower?

Offer just below the asking price with all the extras?
Old 28 April 2005, 12:00 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Well I wouldnt accept 3rd part only. Only exception to that was my Dad.

You can write a car off in less than a mile for no fault of your own. But if a test driver did that, then walked away saying "sorry about that but theres nothing you can do" I wouldnt be best pleased!

Ive never dont it myself, but Ive heard of people transferring existing FC to a car they were trying to buy, or making it an additional vehicle on a policy. So it can be done somehow.
Old 28 April 2005, 12:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Start at 16k if hes not in a rush to sell. money talks, he'll soon be willing to part with the car for a reasonable offer. I usually price a car at least £500 more than I want for it cause you know you'll get offers at least £500 less than you want.

rr_ww understand what your saying, completely, theres always that risk but there has to be some leeway in it when your trying to sell the car privately
Old 28 April 2005, 12:15 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Dave: I thought that would be reasonable too. Have managed to talk people down a £1000 over the phone before even going to view

Bob
Old 28 April 2005, 12:19 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

I bought my (17k) car privately without test driving it, the guy did take me out in it for a good 30-40 mins and i got an AA inspection done too.

I had driven an identical car the day before at a dealers so i knew how they drove and that i could get a comfortable driving position.

Guy did tell me up front he wouldnt let me drive it, unless i brought along a fully comp policy with ID. At the end of the day its his car and upto him if he narrows his options because of this its his choice.

Can all depend on the car though if there are loads around theres more chance the buyer will move onto the next one, for cars harder to find in the right colour and spec they almost sell themselves and you can afford to be a bit picky.

Mark
Old 28 April 2005, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I personally would expect to be allowed a test drive, even with 3rd party insurance which is usually the only cover you have if driving someone else's car. I would agree however that if I bent the car I would pay for the repair. I would not drive the car recklessly anyway since it is not mine and that would be unfair to the owner. I would not rag the motor either.

Failing that a good demonstration drive might be alright.

Les
Old 28 April 2005, 12:26 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

ahh but if the seller took you out for 30-40minutes thats more than enough IMO.... I probably WOULD buy a car without driving it but Id definately have to be satisfied with the sellers drive of the car

tell you what, I HATE people negotiating prices before theyve even see the damn car. my pet hate is getting a fone call saying would u accept £xxxx for it mate? you say yeah go on then, they view the car and start bartering again from what you agreed on the fone. does my head in. anyone start asking that when Im selling a car I tell them to view the car before making me an offer, then I'll take them seriously
Old 28 April 2005, 12:27 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I personally would not give a test drive unless they had fully comp!!!

What happens if they have TP and lob it into a ditch its like sorry mate but tough s***.

let them walk away if you say no there is always someone who is happy to let you take them im it and will buy the car.
Old 28 April 2005, 12:54 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

If you want it, tell them its OK, but it isn't the exact spec you are looking for - you really wanted aircon or leather or different alloys etc etc. Offer 15-20% below the asking price. If (*when) they say no, say you will leave it open, but you are going to have a look at one that is the spec you are looking for. Leave your number and wait for the revised asking price
Old 28 April 2005, 12:54 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The problem with allowing the owner to demonstrate the car is that he/she can mask possible faults with the car, even it is a long drive. Also some faults can only be indentified by driving the car.

I dont negotiate on prices beforehand, but like to know what the owner REALLY wants for it....some are not open to offers and others will say they are looking for £250-1000 less than advertised....which I like to know before a 300 mile round trip. Also if I like the car I pay for it there and then and drive it away.

Not sure whether this guy will allow a test drive.... he wont even give his address out to anyone for viewing
Old 28 April 2005, 01:00 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fast bloke
If you want it, tell them its OK, but it isn't the exact spec you are looking for - you really wanted aircon or leather or different alloys etc etc. Offer 15-20% below the asking price. If (*when) they say no, say you will leave it open, but you are going to have a look at one that is the spec you are looking for. Leave your number and wait for the revised asking price
15-20% = £2550-3400 = Offer of £14450 - £13600

I dont think that many would take too kindly to that kick in the ball$

Bob
Old 28 April 2005, 01:14 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by BOB'5
15-20% = £2550-3400 = Offer of £14450 - £13600

I dont think that many would take too kindly to that kick in the ball$

Bob
He is unlikely to get violent - he can either say no (usual) or yes - in which case you save a couple of grand. If he says no at least you have set the expectation, so he will tell you how much (or little) he will really sell it for. I always get the feeling that if I haven't had an offer turned down flat,then I have probably paid too much for the car. Say you offer 16k and he says OK. Would you not feel that maybe you should have offered 15500?

This works for just about everything (except groceries )

Last edited by fast bloke; 28 April 2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: edit to add - my wife gets really embarrased when I haggle with the milkman
Old 28 April 2005, 01:16 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fast bloke
He is unlikely to get violent
Old 28 April 2005, 01:23 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Hell, I've bought cars before without even seeing them!

G'wan live a little
Old 28 April 2005, 01:34 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
I personally would not give a test drive unless they had fully comp!!!

What happens if they have TP and lob it into a ditch its like sorry mate but tough s***.

let them walk away if you say no there is always someone who is happy to let you take them im it and will buy the car.
Even if you are fully comp when you drive someone else's car, third party is the max cover you get unless you've got car trade insurance.
I'd allow someone a test drive providing they sounded interested and had checked the car and paperwork over first. If someone asked for a test drive on the phone I'd point blank refuse because I'd think they were just a test pilot out for kicks.
Old 28 April 2005, 01:50 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Of some of my older pervious cars I have sold, I offered for people to test drive them but they have declined.

I purchased my Scoob privately without even sitting in the drivers seat.

Was just wondering what the 'general' concensus was?.....Would you walk away if there was no test drive offered?

Bob
I wouldn't buy a £4 pair of Tesco's jeans without a test drive. No bloody way I'd part with any cash for a car without a thorough look over and test drive to check for all those little things you just can't be sure of while it is sitting on the road.

Ask your insurers for a cover note to allow you to test drive if the seller is not happy with your third party cover. Chances are they will be riding shot gun anyway (no way I'd hand my keys over to a stranger and let them go for a drive solo).
Old 28 April 2005, 02:12 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Surely it's a simple solution.

You view the car and the owner test drives. You agree a price and a day to collect it. Advise that a condition of sale is you test drive it before paying the balance on the day of collection, when you'd be fully covered anyway as your planning on driving the car home.
Old 28 April 2005, 02:53 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Drive the same car at a dealers, this will give u a feel for that type of car and how it handles/performs. Put yourself in the seller's position. They have 17k to lose if u bin it. An S2000 can be a bit of a handful if not treated properly.

Then get the private seller to take you out and demonstrate the particular car ( to check for irreglularities). If you are looking at one for 17k then its only max 3yrs old anyway so shouldn't have too much of a problem.

As an S2000 owner, I suggest you get onto www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25 if you aren't already, and read the FAQ - will help you to know things to look for.
Old 28 April 2005, 04:13 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsm1
Even if you are fully comp when you drive someone else's car, third party is the max cover you get unless you've got car trade insurance.
I'd allow someone a test drive providing they sounded interested and had checked the car and paperwork over first. If someone asked for a test drive on the phone I'd point blank refuse because I'd think they were just a test pilot out for kicks.
I meant if they were fully covered on my car
and not just 3rd party - i know what you mean though.

i have literally just sold my Audi last weekend and the guy only wanted taking round the block!!!
Old 28 April 2005, 04:18 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I purchased my WRX Wagon without driving it. All I had seen of it were some pictures from the compound in Japan where it was sitting. Of course this is a little different from a private sale as I had comeback in the shape of a warranty.

Would I purchase a car in a private sale without driving it? If I knew the owner and the car very well, then yes, I probably would, apart from that, no. I'd want to drive the car to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a £17k car without test driving?