Knee Operation

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2005, 01:41 PM
scoobys20mgh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knee Operation

Hello,
Just been told I'm having my arthroscopy on Friday (something heavy has been knocking it for a few years and has torn the ligament and the cartlidge.......probably loose change) so, was wondering if anyone had been through this op, what can I expect in the way of recovery time, will I have to spend the night there, PLUS it's the bank holiday weekend and I have friends coming down on the Sunday, will it be ok to go out for a beer??? just any experiences on this would be cool, thanks, oh and does it hurt!

Your help will be much appreciated,

Mike
Old 25 April 2005, 02:13 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Well the father in law has been waiting for his knee op for years, keeps having it cancelled at the last minute and then referred for physio and re-assessment. You may get lucky, but unless you are going private I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 25 April 2005, 02:23 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobys20mgh
Hello,
Just been told I'm having my arthroscopy on Friday (something heavy has been knocking it for a few years and has torn the ligament and the cartlidge.......probably loose change) so, was wondering if anyone had been through this op, what can I expect in the way of recovery time, will I have to spend the night there, PLUS it's the bank holiday weekend and I have friends coming down on the Sunday, will it be ok to go out for a beer??? just any experiences on this would be cool, thanks, oh and does it hurt!

Your help will be much appreciated,

Mike
had three of these, one ACL replacement and patching of my cartilage...you will be a bit sore after the arthroscopy but will be able to walk without too much problem the same day...doesn’t hurt really just feels a little odd
Old 25 April 2005, 02:27 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Had more than I care too remember, You will have to rest for around 7 to 14 days depending on your work, but they like you too walk ASAP but nothing too heavy, the op itself is just 4 little nicks in your knee and a clean out process, the op will take around 40 mins to an 1 hour and if all goes well you will be dischaged that day if not the following morning, I'm waiting to go back in to have another one done myself
Cheers
Colin
Old 25 April 2005, 02:31 PM
scoobys20mgh
Scooby Regular

going private, about the only good think of working here, so it's no worse than a filling basically, excellent!!! was worrying over nothing

thanks!
Old 25 April 2005, 02:37 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scoobys20mgh
going private, about the only good think of working here, so it's no worse than a filling basically, excellent!!! was worrying over nothing

thanks!

Nah your be down the pub falling over or kicking a ball within a couple of days
Old 25 April 2005, 06:41 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Had two operation on my right knee.

After the operation expect your knee will swell a bit and become stiff. You will probably need some physio. You will quite possibly need a walking stick for a few days to steady you.

Not to much pain however best to take painkillers and keep it under control.

I would recommend that if possible you stay in hospital overnight (if a private hospital) that way you can be looked after without hassle of stairs etc.

These days they try & keep you moving around as soon as possible after the op to prevent muscle wastage. They also made me wear a surgical stocking to prevent blood clots.

Overall not a bad experience however you will have reduced capability for a few weeks. Hopefully you will have somebody who can help you for a few days after the op as you will not be 100%.

Definately worth having as it has improved the quality of life for my knee.

They didn't want me to drive for a few weeks however I was driving after a about 5 days.

Regards

Kiwi

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2005, 08:09 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Had an arthroscopy done in January, no kneed (couldn't resist it ) to stay overnight if it all goes according to plan & you've someone to play nursey at home .
Be prepared to hobble & drag your leg around for a couple of days (wasn't painful as they put a slow release anaesthetic (sp?) in, which lasts a few days.)
No reason why you can't be driving by day 5. Go & see a decent physio post op to keep the discipline of doing your exercises.
Three months later & it's spot on, with just two 10mm scars to show for it.

D
Old 26 April 2005, 02:04 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Had an arthroscopy 5 yrs ago. Went in early afternoon i think, sat about for a bit and then came out that evening shortly after i woke up. i went private after waiting years for the op and getting bored of falling over without prior warning!
was told that i should be walking straight away but need crutches to get about, service in the hospital was terrible; got bored waiting for a wheelchair to get me to the car park so i walked out and was driven home. didn't feel too bad other than a bit of pain in the knee, although i did avoid putting too much weight on it for at least a week or so. I bought a PS2 before the op, so spent a week or so playing that!
I wasn't able to drive a manual car for about a month though. swapped cars with my dad when i was able to get about without the crutches and then swapped back when i was ready.
having said all that, the problems with my knee giving way have never completely gone and have just been back to the doctor this morning with what he thinks is a ligament problem. my knee sounds terrible (grinding) compared to the right knee, but as the surgeon said years ago, you don't know whether it's going to help unless you give it a try. have heard of others who have been fine and walking well within a couple of days with absolutely no problems afterwards, so every case is different!
good luck and use those crutches to get served quicker at the bar! (people move when you squash their toes!)
Old 26 April 2005, 02:11 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i had mine nov 04, private, didnt spend the night, felt **** that night fine afterwards, bending it after is hard for about a week or two. still have trouble kneeling on it as it hurts, bruised sort of pain, other than that not too bad, if your lucky youll get a nice voltarol tablet in the *** too!!!!! just after theyve out you to sleep, not an urban myth im afraid enjoy the drugs mate, they give you some real knock out pills to take home
Old 26 April 2005, 03:24 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I had one 12 years ago and going back in a few weeks for another one...
No need for overnight stay,walk in and walk out..No crutches.
You have to start using it straight away to get the muscles working again..
I had 1 month off from contact sports and 2 weeks from non contact.2 weeks off work although this time he reckons it will only be a week...I think we will have to do something about that..
Everyone is different with regards to how you feel after waking up..I was fine and never felt sick but alot of people do...
You have to keep it dry til the bandage comes off and that is about it...
How was your problem diagnosed???Did you have an MRI scan??
An arthroscopy is just the procedure of sticking a camera in to see what is up,if they find anything they fix it..
My cartilage has supposed to have twisted and it now stops me from straightening the knee fully,I had the MRI scan but it is still only what he thinks is wrong....
If yours is ligament damage then they can`t fix that during this op...
Old 26 April 2005, 04:19 PM
scoobys20mgh
Scooby Regular

Thanks for helping (sort of) put my mind at rest, he's said there's a tear in the cartlidge and a tear in the ligament at the top, the one that looks like an x, can't remember, so not sure what's going to be done!!! so long's it doesn't hurt too much, I'm able to drive fairly soon and can have a beer I'm happy!

Mike
Old 26 April 2005, 05:25 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

I had ACL reconstruction in 2003 which was bloody painful - it was op number four, having had two op's for torn cartilidge and one for synthetic replacement.

Off work for 6 weeks, which wasn't a problem, but not driving the Scoob for 6 weeks was heartbreaking!!

It's still not 100%.