Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice - Noisy Neighbour

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 01:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice - Noisy Neighbour

Hi, We live in a 3 bed semi, the guy next to us must have pasted 90 by now, looks very old and is obviously deaf. hes even on the ignorant side for us... Now the last few weeks at stupid times in the night we've had his alarm clock (thats what I presume it is) buzzing away or playing the radio VERY loudly, last week I was stood in the pi55ing rain at 4am banging on his door. got no answer. its happened every night this week and its really making both me and the misses depressed, getting no sleep and getting grumpy during the day, it woke her up at 2am last night and woke me about 3am. we wrote a letter to him last night and posted it. It made me late for work this morning and Im not happy about it. Now Im not directly blaming him cause he may not even know about it himself but if it doesnt get sorted after this letter and it happens again tonight I'll really be at my wits end. I presume its the council I should be speaking too and not the police, dont want to take it that far but if it means I get some sleep so be it. So my question is if the noise starts tonight at 3am what do I do about it? I need my beauty sleep the noise is so loud I can hear it in every room in our house. so even getting in the single bedroom last night, furthest away room from where the noise appears to be coming from, head under the pillow and covers with cotton wool in my ears I can still hear it.
Old 20 April 2005, 01:07 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ASBO
Old 20 April 2005, 01:08 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Shotgun

Problem solved
Old 20 April 2005, 01:11 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.c..._Plugs_58.html

classic ones are great

short term solution really
Old 20 April 2005, 01:12 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

speak to the neighbours on the other side, see if they have the same problem and can hear him too ?
Old 20 April 2005, 01:20 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Get in touch with your local enviroment health officer.
Cheers
Colin
Old 20 April 2005, 01:21 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

altho on second thoughts if he didnt hear you bangin on the door he probably wont notice if you break in and steal the tv, anything else
Old 20 April 2005, 01:22 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by paul-s
speak to the neighbours on the other side, see if they have the same problem and can hear him too ?
He said it was a semi, so the neigbours the other side are not directly connected to his house, so if they can hear it it must be f**kin loud
Old 20 April 2005, 01:24 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

altho on second thoughts if he didnt hear you bangin on the door he probably wont notice if you break in and steal the tv, anything else
Old 20 April 2005, 01:42 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, be aware if you report him to the council for noise nuisance then you decide to sell your house & hes still there, you will have to legally inform the buyer of your property what has happened in the past.

I would try & contact any of his family, hes obviously lost the plot & may need full time care, in the mean time the earplugs usually do the job.

Andy
Old 20 April 2005, 02:08 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

We are living on an army estate as my hubby is in the forces, I have had 2 noisy neighbours now!!!! so I know how you feel, one was directly next door and it didnt matter what room you went in to all you could hear was her music absolutely blasting at all hours, Christina Aguilera whaling away from dusk til dawn!!! Parties the lot, you name it we had it, I posted notes through her door at all hours of the day, well thats all I could do coz the music was so loud she wouldn't hear the door, it took a while but she did eventually stop all the noise, basically coz I wrote in one note that my 6 mth old daughter was kept awake, which was true coz she would hear it. She got posted so that was her gone, but then 2 doors down was just as bad, music blasting, kids shouting, parents shouting, dog barking, I could hear the music right through to our house (remembering I had one house in between, thats how loud it was!!!), I asked her to keep the noise down, I also asked her to stop her dog jumping across to our garden to ****, nothing got through to her it went on for most of the time they were living here which was 2 years, eventually she stopped but fell out with us and got her mates to give us dirty looks on the street, how sad, I used to walk past them and laugh, but yet again they moved in March so now I have lots of peace and quiet, so I think to solve your problem you should keep trying to have a civil discussion with your neighbour if you can if all fails see your local environment officer or go and ask the police for some advice before taking action.
Old 20 April 2005, 02:18 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

the neighbours on the otherside are not joint (otherwise they wouldnt be semi detached houses would they lol

to be fair though I wouldnt be suprised if they could hear him, dunno about waking them in the middle of the night though but when Ive been out, knocking on his door it seems to be overly loud outside too....

So environment heath dept are the peeps to contact are they. Will scout about for a few numbers before tonight so if Im woken again.

Hes definately alive in there though because hes an avid gardener and even though I aint seen him in over a month his grass is still short

Last edited by davegtt; 20 April 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 20 April 2005, 02:20 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
http://www.healthandsafetysupplies.c..._Plugs_58.html

classic ones are great

short term solution really
Honestly thought about this but Id be worried MY alarm clock wouldnt wake me in the mornings
Old 20 April 2005, 02:24 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough (not), had the same thing last night. Live in a 1-bed, terraced back 2 back and the guy that lives behind me currently doesn't work, and so it seems, doesn't sleep! Anyway, he had his TV cranked up till past 3am this morning. Couldn't get away from the noise and even wearing plugs couldn't block out all the noise.

I've had issues with this prat before as there used to be him, the chavvy-girlfriend, 3 children and a baby living in the house! (1-bedroom remember) 3 kids plus a tiny house does not mix + all the f'in language that occurred. He finally got shot of her and I've had peace until 2 weeks ago when he appears to have hooked up with another tart with kids in tow.

I guess I'll have to have a word to remind him that those who work generally like to sleep at night so they can function properly - just can't believe how ignorant some people are.
Old 20 April 2005, 02:25 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

jus knock on his door when its daylight and hes in, and theres nothing loud on so he can hear the door, then explain it to him..whilst SHOUTING of course
Old 20 April 2005, 02:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

aye but Ive never spoken to him before... I took a parcel for him (cause the post man couldnt get through to him) and I had to keep it for ages until I saw him in the garden.... so I dont think it'd help, all his curtains are closed 24/7 too so I never know when hes in or not (unless I see him every blue moon spending half hour reversing his car on his drive
Old 20 April 2005, 02:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

He's old, make stuff up, report him, have him committed. Alternatively just use the PM facility on here and tell PSLewis to pack it in.
Old 20 April 2005, 04:10 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

we had a similar problem years ago. not an elderly person though, a young tawt who spent most of his time beating the living crap out of his girlfriend, usually at about 2/3am. call environmental health to notify - they will write to you and your neighbour confirming that they have recorded the complaint; keep a diary of when it happens and exactly what noises you can hear and how loudly; and then remind them a few days later that if the noise is continuing, then if there is a pattern to the noise, they may come out to check the noise level. that may be followed by
a) call/letter to neighbour to warn before taking action
b) nothing
c) your neighbour unreasonably taking offence and doing everything they can to annoy you in the slightest way possible for the rest of their noisy and inconsiderate lives.
good luck! in the short term, things will probably get worse before they get better though
Old 20 April 2005, 04:13 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Pneumatic chisel through the dividing wall and turn his alarm clock off yourself. Deaf old **** obviously can't hear the thing.
Old 20 April 2005, 04:15 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Pneumatic chisel through the dividing wall and turn his alarm clock off yourself. Deaf old **** obviously can't hear the thing.
I can loan an SDS Drill if I can come along with the video camera as well
Old 20 April 2005, 04:49 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

the noise is so loud I can hear it in every room in our house
That must be one loud motherfu*ker - find out what make/model of alarm it is
Old 20 April 2005, 07:11 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

work collegue gave me an idea. His electric meter is on his outside wall and Ive been told there should be a mother f#*ker fuse there that if I pull out it'll cut his elecy, and if I pop it straight back in again it'll reset his alarm clock hence silence again..... just gotta get out of bed to do it at some stupid time its going off
Old 20 April 2005, 07:13 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

*Calling Astraboy*
Old 20 April 2005, 07:28 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by rik1471
That must be one loud motherfu*ker - find out what make/model of alarm it is
Big Ben???
Old 20 April 2005, 07:31 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Get pally with him, weedle your way into his home one day, the pair of you, one of you ask to use the loo, but go looking for the guilty alarm clock and re-set it to a decent time in the AM. Job done.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:06 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Hi, We live in a 3 bed semi, the guy next to us must have pasted 90 by now, looks very old and is obviously deaf. hes even on the ignorant side for us... Now the last few weeks at stupid times in the night we've had his alarm clock (thats what I presume it is) buzzing away or playing the radio VERY loudly, last week I was stood in the pi55ing rain at 4am banging on his door. got no answer. its happened every night this week and its really making both me and the misses depressed, getting no sleep and getting grumpy during the day, it woke her up at 2am last night and woke me about 3am. we wrote a letter to him last night and posted it. It made me late for work this morning and Im not happy about it. Now Im not directly blaming him cause he may not even know about it himself but if it doesnt get sorted after this letter and it happens again tonight I'll really be at my wits end. I presume its the council I should be speaking too and not the police, dont want to take it that far but if it means I get some sleep so be it. So my question is if the noise starts tonight at 3am what do I do about it? I need my beauty sleep the noise is so loud I can hear it in every room in our house. so even getting in the single bedroom last night, furthest away room from where the noise appears to be coming from, head under the pillow and covers with cotton wool in my ears I can still hear it.
Its the neighbour you should reconcile with and if that doesnt work .....

Cut his heed off and thrown it doon the burn!
Old 20 April 2005, 11:08 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Mark
He said it was a semi, so the neigbours the other side are not directly connected to his house, so if they can hear it it must be f**kin loud
Good point there matey, some real thick fucxxrs on here
Old 20 April 2005, 11:10 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy McCord
Dave, be aware if you report him to the council for noise nuisance then you decide to sell your house & hes still there, you will have to legally inform the buyer of your property what has happened in the past.

I would try & contact any of his family, hes obviously lost the plot & may need full time care, in the mean time the earplugs usually do the job.

Andy
Yeh, and who informs the buyers, I suppose the solictor should do all the legal stuff really **** lol
Old 21 April 2005, 09:16 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
work collegue gave me an idea. His electric meter is on his outside wall and Ive been told there should be a mother f#*ker fuse there that if I pull out it'll cut his elecy, and if I pop it straight back in again it'll reset his alarm clock hence silence again..... just gotta get out of bed to do it at some stupid time its going off
Better still, next time it happens, pull the main fuse ( but take a pair of wire cutters with you though 'cos it should have a little wire tag holding it in) but DO NOT PUT IT BACK IN, instead pop it into an envelope and post it back to the electric supply company for your area, otherwise you would be stealing.
Then go back to bed safe in the knowledge its going to be quite.

Better still, take the fuse out just before you go to bed !

Discalimer: Tampering with the main supply fuse is illegal and possibly dangerous so you are advised not to touch it

Bob

P.S. DO IT

EDIT: If its freezing cold and his heating isn't working due to the missing fuse and he dies of hyperthermia (spelling) delete this thread and deny all knowledge of everything!

Last edited by 4X4BOB; 21 April 2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 21 April 2005, 09:26 AM
catherine666
Scooby Regular

Erm, flip the main circuit breaker?

Quick Reply: Advice - Noisy Neighbour