Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I've been paid too much

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 06:44 PM
Utter
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I've been paid too much

I work for a bank and in March like everyone else that I work with we were sent a letter confirming our new salary after our annual pay review. Got paid yesterday and today my Manager came up to me and said she had been checking everyone's salary and that my salary is £1,000 more than everyone elses and that I might have to pay some of it back and get my salary decreased. Can they do this to me?
Old 19 April 2005, 06:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes they can. Although you can ask for the repayment to be spread over a year. I was lucky enough to get paid my bonus four times(!) and paid it back over 3 months.

Steve.
Old 19 April 2005, 06:51 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

they can ask for all of it back,nevermind some of it,and unless you speak to them they will take the lot on the next payroll run
Old 19 April 2005, 06:52 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Utter
I work for a bank and in March like everyone else that I work with we were sent a letter confirming our new salary after our annual pay review. Got paid yesterday and today my Manager came up to me and said she had been checking everyone's salary and that my salary is £1,000 more than everyone elses and that I might have to pay some of it back and get my salary decreased. Can they do this to me?

If the amount you were paid agrees with the letter (i.e. they've increased your base by too much) then tough for them, they've agreed it. If they've overpaid you by £1000 this month, then that's different, and you're not entitled to keep it.
Old 19 April 2005, 06:53 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

do you mean they've accidently paid you too much or have they offered you a rise and then realised that it puts you on more than everyone else??? cos i would have thought they would have different answers
Old 19 April 2005, 06:53 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

yeah mine kinda ties in with what moose said
Old 19 April 2005, 06:54 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Yes, as above, I thought that they have just overpaid you. If they have agreed a salary in writing, then it's tough.

Steve.
Old 19 April 2005, 08:31 PM
Utter
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by the moose
If the amount you were paid agrees with the letter (i.e. they've increased your base by too much) then tough for them, they've agreed it. If they've overpaid you by £1000 this month, then that's different, and you're not entitled to keep it.
Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to prepare myself so I know where I stand incase my manager starts talking to me about my pay. The amount I was paid agrees with the letter they sent me March which I have still have.
Old 19 April 2005, 08:47 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Utter
Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to prepare myself so I know where I stand incase my manager starts talking to me about my pay. The amount I was paid agrees with the letter they sent me March which I have still have.

If they have paid you what was agreed, and you have that in writing, I would go straight to your union rep to sort this out. if you want to raise the stakes go see a solicitor but that can be expensive.

Start wth the Union, that's what they are there for. Based on what you are telling us you would have legitimate grounds for kicking off a grievance challenge against your employers if they threaten to take the funds off you.

Oh by the way, if you don't feel comfortable having conversations with your manager on a 1-2-1 basis then ask that an observer to be present.

From now on until its sorted keep a written record of everything that's said/happens, and don't agree to anything unless its in writing and you have had time to take advice on it.

And finally, watch your back, work wise. Don't do anything that may give your employer grounds for taking disciplinary action against you, just to mess up your case. Do everything by the book, get witnesses where possible, keep notes on everything, get your work signed off where necessary, etc.!

Good luck.

WB