Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

M4 speed camera protest organised / Speed Camera protest (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 06:01 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M4 speed camera protest organised

Worth a look for anyone who can make it or who has strong feelings. There have been people on here posting about protests so this might be a chance to join up:

http://www.m4protest.org/
Old 19 April 2005, 06:23 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It'd be rude not to!
Old 19 April 2005, 07:33 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Mind you, since they started doing this, my drive into work each day (Swindon to Newbury) has actaully been quite pleasant. There's nowhere near the same amount of traffic using it at all
Old 19 April 2005, 07:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I've just mailed him my support. As I am over 250 miles away I will not be personally attending. Although if there is a convoy going down I may be persuaded, possibly
Old 19 April 2005, 07:48 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I just read this. Good excuse for a meet
Old 19 April 2005, 07:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Mind you, since they started doing this, my drive into work each day (Swindon to Newbury) has actaully been quite pleasant. There's nowhere near the same amount of traffic using it at all
If true thats mad?????? Are people going down the A4 instead because they cant drive at 70?
Old 19 April 2005, 07:52 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I assume that must be the case. The last few days it's been like it is in the school holidays rather than a normal week day....
Old 19 April 2005, 07:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

A few of the people on S2ki were saying they were now avoiding that stretch. Us S2000s don't like to hang about
Old 19 April 2005, 09:59 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Looks like it could be a nice drive
Old 19 April 2005, 10:17 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Scooby meet on the M4 on 30/4 then? Sounds interesting!
Old 20 April 2005, 01:30 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I'll be going to that

Get enough people there, and it should make local news at least
Old 20 April 2005, 07:45 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The following from Paul Smith at Safe Speed. Interestingly there is also some discussion as to whether the new Emergency Powers will be used to make this illegal and stop it. That I am aware there is no evidence that this actually is under consideration but it puts the Emergency Powers in an interesting light to consider how they might be applied to such a thing:

"M4 Protest" launches today with the PR below.

Visit:
http://www.m4protest.org and come along on Saturday 30th April.

================================================== =======================
M4 Speed cameras spark protest group

News: For immediate release

Wiltshire and Swindon Camera Partnership’s rollout of speed camera vans on the M4 has triggered a new drivers’ road safety protest group.
Called simply 'M4 Protest' (www.m4protest.org), they plan a slow drive protest along the M4 through Wiltshire on Saturday 30th April.

M4 Protest hopes this action will show the driving public's dissatisfaction with speed cameras in the run up to the general election, and show that safe driving is too complex to be measured in miles per hour.

Campaign founder, Robin Summerhill said: "After £700 million pounds of speed camera fines, road deaths are going up, yet the greedy camera partnerships simply keep expanding, placing more and more cameras. The motoring public is at breaking point and something has to give. I believe it is important that the entire ethos of speed cameras in the UK is re-examined from the very foundations."

Drivers and motorcyclists will be gathering at 10am on Saturday 30th April 2005 at two motorway service stations - one in the east of Wiltshire and one in the west. People wanting to join the protest should visit www.m4protest.org for news or information about how to join in.

Robin continues: " We've been running for less than 24 hours and already the response is amazing. I hope drivers and riders will turn out in big numbers on the day. Speed cameras are an issue that affects road users everywhere. Let's hope that the politicians get the message - we're not going to stand for it any more."
Old 20 April 2005, 09:15 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Would be more effective on a weekday @8am.
Old 20 April 2005, 09:57 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

is the idea to drive slow? or is it just a drive down the road....cant see what it aims to do?
Old 20 April 2005, 10:01 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggs
is the idea to drive slow? or is it just a drive down the road....cant see what it aims to do?
I was just thinking that, doesnt make it clear on the website, but I presume its a drive-slow along on the M4 from Membury services. I hope the turnout is big so it attracts media interest!
Old 20 April 2005, 10:07 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by speedking
It would for me I work weekends and am 250 miles oop north anyway. I do however condone and support this effort.

My 2p worth. After 10 years of camera speed enforcement, road death figures have remained static, whilst revenue generation from these schemes has soared (as we all know ). I recall reading an article recently where an ambulance authority in London had done research which claimed that over 200 people a year die as a result of ambulances not being able to reach emergencies quickly enough because of the local boroughs traffic calming measures. There is also a report which will be covered in next weeks 5th Gear programme which reports that over 600 deaths a year could be saved by introducing telegraph poles, street lighting poles and road sign poles which are designed to shatter on impact. So, given that there are approximately 3500 deaths a year on our highways, almost a quarter could be saved by addressing these simple problems. But this would cost rather than generate money, so **** all chance then
Old 20 April 2005, 08:07 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
I believe that Saturday is the start of the Bank Holiday.
Old 20 April 2005, 08:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

ill be impressed if the protest drive is at 120mph
Old 20 April 2005, 09:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if its a go slow then the reason it will attract attanetion is because it pisses people off.............if they dont **** anyone off no one would care.

so is there a history of protests that annoy others - directly- obtaining results?
Old 20 April 2005, 10:16 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
if its a go slow then the reason it will attract attanetion is because it pisses people off.............if they dont **** anyone off no one would care.

so is there a history of protests that annoy others - directly- obtaining results?
Of course this won't make a blind bit of difference to the cameras being there but maybe, just maybe it'll make the news, some views will be aired and the blinkered millions might just be made aware of the statistics surrounding speed cameras and their relationship with accident rates. These people otherwise would believe the official line as more and more of the things spring up round the country. If it makes one in ten think, "Oh, maybe they're not the best thing for road safety ever," then it will be worthwhile.
Old 20 April 2005, 11:25 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Of course this won't make a blind bit of difference to the cameras being there but maybe, just maybe it'll make the news, some views will be aired and the blinkered millions might just be made aware of the statistics surrounding speed cameras and their relationship with accident rates. These people otherwise would believe the official line as more and more of the things spring up round the country. If it makes one in ten think, "Oh, maybe they're not the best thing for road safety ever," then it will be worthwhile.
Exactly!! Dont be such a pessimist Tiggs, its that sort of "oh cant be arsed moan winge" attitude that stops stuff like this from happening, and as a result "safety" camera partnerships for example can really take the **** without fearing opposition.

If this protest makes the news it would be fantastic, and I think its sure to
Old 21 April 2005, 02:39 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

I wish you all the best those of you going on the drive. I live in Wiltshire and it's a pain in the neck!

However, that weekend I'll be in Ireland, where there are slightly fewer speed cameras...
Old 21 April 2005, 06:48 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Petem95
Exactly!! If this protest makes the news it would be fantastic, and I think its sure to
Not exactly "the news", but it's made the Auto Express From little acorns.....
Old 21 April 2005, 08:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Quite right. If you just lie down with your legs in the air and let it happen with no protest, then it will get worse next time.

You have to let them know that you object at least.

Les
Old 21 April 2005, 12:17 PM
rallyfan1977
Scooby Regular

Default Speed Camera Protest

At last someone has decided that enough is enough and a legal protest has been organised.
To register your support or find out more, click

http://www.m4protest.org

I'll be there, hope to see as many Scoobynetters as possible - it's definately in our interests.

Derek
Old 21 April 2005, 01:50 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

As a cyclist, dodging idiot drivers everyday, I'd be interested to know what they have against cycle lanes, which in most cases are just brocken white line - well known for protecting you from 40 ton trucks!
Old 21 April 2005, 02:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=420753
Old 21 April 2005, 04:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by pwhittle
As a cyclist, dodging idiot drivers everyday, I'd be interested to know what they have against cycle lanes, which in most cases are just brocken white line - well known for protecting you from 40 ton trucks!
As a motorist, dodging idiot cyclists everyday, I'd be interested to know why there is no formal qualification required to ride on the public highway, nor an age limit, nor any necessity for insurance, nor any legal requirement to wear reasonable safety equipment, nor any requirement for adequate lighting (or rather, not many bother, and no-one upholds the legal requirement). As for the 40 tonne trucks, I'd rather be in a brightly coloured large metal box if I'm playing amongst them. Those who play with fire.....

Personally, I'd like to see anyone below 16 restricted to roads with a 30mph limit and all above 16 whom wish to use the whole road network (except mways) be tested, licensed and insured. Also, I think safety equipment and lighting should be mandatory for all cyclists. Now, someone tell me why it shouldn't be so ! And don't get me started on bl00dy horse riders
Old 21 April 2005, 04:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will make a few predictions about this event:-

1. It will be attended by petrolheads and those with 'performance' cars

2. The Max Power mob will give it an air of respectability!

3. 30 cars will turn up

I understand that Burglars are going to break-in to the houses of those on the M4 - to protest against being put in jail!!

How can you SERIOUSLY protest for the 'right' to break the law without penalty?

Pete
Old 21 April 2005, 05:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Why do cyclists, rather like pedestrians, pay no attention to road safety whatsoever and just do what they want with no regard to other road users, such as riding across red trafiic lights etc?

Les

Quick Reply: M4 speed camera protest organised / Speed Camera protest (merged)