Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Went to see Derek...... The guy from Most Haunted

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2005, 11:08 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to see Derek...... The guy from Most Haunted

Went to see Derek from Most Haunted last night at the Fairview Halls in Croyden.
Have to say im a non beliver of all this spirit stuff. But he did some quite amazing stuff.
And has got me thinking about what is out there ?

Have you ever had been to see a medium ?
Old 14 April 2005, 11:11 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. They told me that this subject would appear quite a lot in NSR.
Old 14 April 2005, 11:11 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Oh Jesus - the guy is a con and a **** poor one at that, he has been caught lying and getting his facts wrong so many times it isn't even funny any more.
Here is his latest gaff. Plenty more of them here
Old 14 April 2005, 11:23 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Not exactly.

My other half's aunt house has "something or someone" in the loft that keeps playing a guitar in the early hours of the morning. Last year she got someone out to perform an exorcism and it worked for a while but the strumming came back after a few months. I was banned from watching as I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from taking the pi55.

We went there for New Year and took the little 'un (only 3 months old at the time) and left a baby monitor in the upstairs bedroom with him. Started getting quite un-nerving as we kept hearing all the odd occasional clicking sound over the monitor, we put it down to interferance in the signal but we weren't all that convinced.

When Dan woke up, he was quite happy gurgling away to himself but soon started screaming the house down. Up we went to get him but there was no calming him down at all - he just kept staring into a corner in the ceiling and crying his eyes out. It wasn't until we'd got him out of the house that he stopped crying and went back to sleep. Aren't babies supposed to be able to pick this sort of activity up?

Lately he's started doing something similar in our house - doesn't scream but keeps staring into a certain corner on the ceiling. On occasion when I've been left babysitting I could swear blind that there was someone moving around upstairs - Guardian Angel?
Old 14 April 2005, 11:28 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
---snip---

Aren't babies supposed to be able to pick this sort of activity up?

---snip
First prove there is an "activity", then we'll start worrying about if babies are more sensitive to it or not.
Old 14 April 2005, 11:49 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I have to say that Most Haunted does not convince me but a good friend of mine appears on the show on a regular basis (the rigger/cameraman Stuart Torrevil) and i spoke to him a while back and he used to be a sceptic but now swears a lot of weird s**t goes on in these places!!!!
Old 14 April 2005, 11:53 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
I have to say that Most Haunted does not convince me but a good friend of mine appears on the show on a regular basis (the rigger/cameraman Stuart Torrevil) and i spoke to him a while back and he used to be a sceptic but now swears a lot of weird s**t goes on in these places!!!!
You mean there are a lot of things going on that he can't explain (but that your average stage magician could - read some of the links I posted before, some of the other people on the set are the ones setting Derek up to keep looking like a tit, and he keeps falling for it) and so he jumps to a completely unsupportable conclusion?

The only "weird s**t" I have come across is why a mincer like Derek would keep trying to feel Yvette up.
Old 14 April 2005, 11:55 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

I too laughted at most haunted. But my other half made me go to his show.
And i have to say he was pulling some peoples strings.

Im no fool, but its left me with questions .
Old 14 April 2005, 11:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
I too laughted at most haunted. But my other half made me go to his show.
And i have to say he was pulling some peoples strings.

Im no fool, but its left me with questions .
Questions like; "How can this fraud keep getting away with this?"

The guy has been exposed more times than a strippers nipples - if you want to believe in ghosts and ghouls, at least find yourself a credible role model.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:01 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by OllyK
First prove there is an "activity", then we'll start worrying about if babies are more sensitive to it or not.

Watch out OllyK and his science babble is about to make another tedious appearance in a thread about the paranormal zzzzz...

For those with a mind open enough to believe in the paranromal, Derek is entertaining and usually quite accurate - but I appreciate a possibility of the occasional blag - simply because he gets to a haunted location - no activity - an entire film crew are hanging on his every breath and he just goes "nope - not haunted - Im off home" - wouldnt make for much of a show so I grant him a little poetic license on those occasions. I firmly believe that 95% of what he picks up is spot on.

Did you see Derek at a show Wish or was it a private consultation?
P
Old 14 April 2005, 12:04 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

ruuuuuuuuuubisssshhhhhhhhh.........!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14 April 2005, 12:04 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

It was a show,
He got one woman and some on the stuff he was coming out with would have been impossible to know, with some sort of 'help'

I am still undecided but boy do i want to learn some more.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Watch out OllyK and his science babble is about to make another tedious appearance in a thread about the paranormal zzzzz...
Oh boy, try attacking the arguments rather than the person, look up Ad hominem some time.

For those with a mind open enough to believe in the paranromal,
It's not about having an open mind to the point of vacancy though. You seem to be easily conned and taken in, and seem to be happy with that. Some of us have done some digging and Derek just fails to stand up to any kind of scrutiny at all.

Derek is entertaining and usually quite accurate - but I appreciate a possibility of the occasional blag - simply because he gets to a haunted location - no activity - an entire film crew are hanging on his every breath and he just goes "nope - not haunted - Im off home" - wouldnt make for much of a show so I grant him a little poetic license on those occasions. I firmly believe that 95% of what he picks up is spot on.
1 word - "researcher". People investigate before they go, they know who died there and who they are going to fake. Sadly Derek (and his researchers) all to often get it wrong and he is haunted by women that should have been men and people that have never existed. He lies, that's been proven, many times and yet you still want to believe the guy is real?

Did you see Derek at a show Wish or was it a private consultation?
P
Old 14 April 2005, 12:17 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

To be honest if not for my mate being on the show i would have thought what a load of b***ocks but he swears on his life that there is a lot of unsual goings on and this lad used to be a real sceptic and did not believe in anytjing like this years ago

But having said that i would say anything as he is earning 500 quid a day
Old 14 April 2005, 12:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
It was a show,
He got one woman and some on the stuff he was coming out with would have been impossible to know, with some sort of 'help'

I am still undecided but boy do i want to learn some more.
Good for you - do some reading / lurking here Ask some critical questions of the believers and the sceptics. Ask who have credible answers and who tries to avoid the questions. Ask to see evidence, real evidence that has been gathered in conditions that discount the possibility of cheating. See what happens to these people's powers when they can't cold / warm read. Watch people like Mark Mayer,Derren Brown and other mentalists who can produce the same results (often better) by real world day to day means and ask if that is the likely explanation or if some people really are talking to the dead.

ETA:
The link is to the JREF boards, predominantly occupied by sceptics, but believers are welcomed as is hearty and often heated debate. You will not be banned for being a believer and your posts will not be edited or deleted. Also go to some of the believer forums, Derek has his own. Ask some critical questions on there about how he does it or if he may be faking some / all of it. See how long it is before you get banned - what does that tell you??

Last edited by OllyK; 14 April 2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:22 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

perhaps the baby staring into the corner just likes corners?

ghosts don't exist. over-active imaginations do (especially when led by suggestions and childhood fears are re-visited). funny how people staying in 'haunted' houses (i.e. houses where people have made up stories about ghosts or visitings) always have disturbed nights and experience 'un-explainable' phenomena.

where are the ghosts of dinosaurs?

Gordo
Old 14 April 2005, 12:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
perhaps the baby staring into the corner just likes corners?

ghosts don't exist. over-active imaginations do (especially when led by suggestions and childhood fears are re-visited). funny how people staying in 'haunted' houses (i.e. houses where people have made up stories about ghosts or visitings) always have disturbed nights and experience 'un-explainable' phenomena.

where are the ghosts of dinosaurs?

Gordo
Where are the ghosts period? 4.5 billion years and still no evidence.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:29 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

...maybe I've just spawned a nutter
Old 14 April 2005, 12:36 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
...maybe I've just spawned a nutter
Do consider that the eyes of babies don't see things as clearly as we do. They see shape, shadow and movement and there may well be some of that on the ceiling in the corner attracking their attention.

Or you kid could be bozz eyed
Old 14 April 2005, 01:05 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

The bloke's a fraud and he's not even very good at it.
Old 14 April 2005, 01:08 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think he's more of a revalation than Darren Brown?

Seems to me that Derek uses the same techniques that Darren has shown on TV and his stage shows.
Old 14 April 2005, 01:11 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Derren Brown is a legend at what he does. Did anyone see him convince Simon Pegg he wanted that BMX the other day? He even gave an insight as to how it's done. Amazing.

The difference is that DB doesn't lie and tell you that ghosts told Pegg he wanted the BMX!
Old 14 April 2005, 01:12 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Mary loves Dick!
Old 14 April 2005, 01:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
do you think he's more of a revalation than Darren Brown?

Seems to me that Derek uses the same techniques that Darren has shown on TV and his stage shows.
No - Derren tells you it's a trick and doesn't try to pass it off as some mumbo jumbo. If Derek tried to claim it was a trick he wouldn't make a living at it because he is crap at it compared to Derren.
Old 14 April 2005, 01:19 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
The difference is that DB doesn't lie and tell you that ghosts told Pegg he wanted the BMX!
Exactly. Darren's shown that although he can't prove they're lying (difficult to prove a negative), he can show that using simple techniques he can imitate a Medium.

Suppose we'll all find out if it's real or a crock of **** someday.
Old 14 April 2005, 01:21 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sorry, should have worded my first statement better

"do you think he's more of a revalation than Darren Brown?"

I was being very sarcastic
Old 14 April 2005, 01:23 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
Exactly. Darren's shown that although he can't prove they're lying (difficult to prove a negative), he can show that using simple techniques he can imitate a Medium.

Suppose we'll all find out if it's real or a crock of **** someday.
You are correct, you can't prove a negative however, it wouldn't take much to prove that mediumship is real.

Sadly those that have tried have failed and the rest refuse to be tested under controlled conditions that would prevent the use of cold reading techniques - any guesses as to why that may be the case?
Old 14 April 2005, 01:24 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

IIRK during the "Seance" show Derren Brown actually stated that the first Victorian medium actually went on to say the whole thing had been a crock of **** when she was terminally ill later in life. People still believe she was genuine despite her own protestations.

Besides if Doris Stokes (famous medium of the latter half of the 20th Century) was so fecking clairvoyant how come she didn't see her own death coming and got caught out halfway through her last paperback on the subject.
Old 14 April 2005, 01:31 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
IIRK during the "Seance" show Derren Brown actually stated that the first Victorian medium actually went on to say the whole thing had been a crock of **** when she was terminally ill later in life. People still believe she was genuine despite her own protestations.
The Fox sisters, there were 2 of them that started it all off. The second sister did not confirm what the first sister said (IIRC). Death bed confessions are not the most convincing form of evidence, however, you do have to ask why she chose to admit it.

Besides if Doris Stokes (famous medium of the latter half of the 20th Century) was so fecking clairvoyant how come she didn't see her own death coming and got caught out halfway through her last paperback on the subject.
Ahh well that's because the powers don't work for things that are for financial gain, like predicting the lottery numbers (but it's OK to charge for their services), oh and the connections to the spirit world are a bit hazy and things aren't always very clear - bit like the spirits not knowing their own names - "I'm seeing a P or an M or an F or......" things like that
Old 14 April 2005, 03:25 PM
amazinggrace
Super Muppet

Location: Little Green Men, come from Mars, look they've stolen all my bra'''''s'''''!'''''''

Got to admit im not keen on that Derek bloke, tired to watch his shows before and couldn't get into them, laughing too much at him!

I do like the American Psychic Medium John Edward tho, I went to see him in London earlier this year. I've watched his TV shows before and thought that they must only show the best clips and the incorrect guesses hit the cutting room floor, but the stage show was just the same as the TV show. People in the audience validating everything he said. I didn't get a reading but it was well worth the 4hr drive each way to see him.

One of my friends is collecting all the Most Haunteds on DVD, she thinks Derek is great

Quick Reply: Went to see Derek...... The guy from Most Haunted