Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remember the teacher who shot at the thugs...?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2005, 02:33 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Remember the teacher who shot at the thugs...?

Well it goes from truely bad to shockingly awful....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4442369.stm

She has been refused bail and is now on hunger strike. Under the Bail act, bail is automatically allowed unless prosocution can make a case for the defendant to be a risk to society or risk of flight.... Looks like they made that case

Unlike this case then...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4425365.stm
Old 14 April 2005, 08:30 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

There are to many idiots in the CPS

It's no wonder that the numbers of police officers resigning are at an all time high, they have to work around this sort of bollox every day
Old 14 April 2005, 08:31 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

sick!
Old 14 April 2005, 09:22 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

This world has gone mad
Old 14 April 2005, 10:38 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

God this makes me so angry - she did nothing except fire a harmless airgun at these thugs - no doubt if she had actually used a knife and killed one of them she would now be on bail or have a suspended sentence. The legal system is upside down. Seems unbelievable that a family being terrorised are treated like this when desperation leads them to do something as the Police are unable to.
Old 14 April 2005, 10:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In the first place she did not fire the airgun at the yobs, she fired it straight down into the ground. She claimed it was not loaded as well!

It is so much easier to throw the book at a previously law abiding person and get a conviction to stick for some reason. It must be non PC to actually penalise a yob instead!

I sometimes wonder how magistrates are selected, or are their hands tied by the politicians. There must be a positive reason for favouring yobs and violent thugs over people who live good lives and wish only to defend their own property and families.

Les
Old 14 April 2005, 10:57 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dtriggs
God this makes me so angry - she did nothing except fire a harmless airgun at these thugs - no doubt if she had actually used a knife and killed one of them she would now be on bail or have a suspended sentence. The legal system is upside down. Seems unbelievable that a family being terrorised are treated like this when desperation leads them to do something as the Police are unable to.
Harmless airgun????

While it annoys me that kiddie fiddlers and such like get bail on a worryingly regular basis, I am not sure that bailing a teacher who looses the plot around kids to the point of shooting at them is a good idea either.
Old 14 April 2005, 11:58 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

They were hardly kids - they were 18 years old. That is an adult when I last checked. I have in my time been shot a number of times by an airgun - I used to have battles with my brother (dont ask) and except for a head shot hitting yr eye they are harmless.

Losing it one time is reason to assume she will commit the same offence or worse again is it ? Rubbish.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:07 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

They were hardly kids - they were 18 years old. That is an adult when I last checked. I have in my time been shot a number of times by an airgun - I used to have battles with my brother (dont ask) and except for a head shot hitting yr eye they are harmless.
Sixteen children (median age 10) were admitted after sustaining BB or pellet gun injuries. Three children had cranial penetration; one remains severely brain impaired
there were 33 air gun deaths reported to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission during this period
I am not saying they are as deadly as a fully fledged firearm, but they still need to be treated with respect. Waving one around in a threatening manner and discharging it (with or without pellet) is not something to be condoned.

Losing it one time is reason to assume she will commit the same offence or worse again is it ? Rubbish.
That's what men who loose their rag and beat their wives say as well - didn't mean it, he wouldn't do it again. Who is to say what her mental state is like? It seems the courts feel she would be a risk.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:27 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Depends very much on the type of gun - your basic airgun in the Uk is barely able to break the skin at point blank range. I agree guns are available of a more powerful nature - and I agree it isnt to be condoned.

But if you dont think locking her up at all, let alone not give bail is a crazy decision then I give up. She was being terrorised by a group of 18 year old adults - not kids. We apparently are now allowed to even shoot an intruder with a shotgun if you feel yr saftey is threatened. I know this is different but their house and cars were being attacked and their lives were being made hell over homophobic abuse. So I think she was perfectly correct in behaving like she did. Only sad somebody hasnt given these thugs a slap. They must feel they are invincible now.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:33 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Depends very much on the type of gun - your basic airgun in the Uk is barely able to break the skin at point blank range. I agree guns are available of a more powerful nature - and I agree it isnt to be condoned.

But if you dont think locking her up at all, let alone not give bail is a crazy decision then I give up. She was being terrorised by a group of 18 year old adults - not kids. We apparently are now allowed to even shoot an intruder with a shotgun if you feel yr saftey is threatened. I know this is different but their house and cars were being attacked and their lives were being made hell over homophobic abuse. So I think she was perfectly correct in behaving like she did. Only sad somebody hasnt given these thugs a slap. They must feel they are invincible now.
I'm not suggesting that the adults / kids / thungs shouldn't have been prosecuted either. As I understand it, this did not take place "IN" her house, it was outside on the street (correct me if I am wrong). Waving a gun, of any form, on the public streets is not the actions of a rational person (IMO). If the adults / kids / thugs are still free (dunno why but I guess they may be) then I suppose the courts feel there is a real chance they may be in the same area and she may snap again. OK that speculation on my part, I wasn't in the court - but it would seem from the decision that's the conclusion they drew.
Old 14 April 2005, 12:53 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

If you got shot with my air rifle it would be a different story

AP